Chris Scott is a great coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I have been on the Chris Scott bandwagon for years, and yet it is obvious he is quite vilified, on this board and the Geelong one even. Regardless of what happens next week, surely this latest Geelong team proves he is a great coach? It is obvious that anyone who watches the current Geelong team sees how well drilled they are. They don't even have a traditional midfield; they just have this weird team of flexible athletic players who roam about and rotate in and out of different positions. Geelong got smashed in the Prelim last year, and Chris scott did what any good coach would do; look at why and how they can combat it and changed the gameplan to suit the players they had.

I will most likely be shat on by everyone but eh, I don't care :p I think Chris Scott is a tremendous coach and essentially set out for Geelong to be competitive over a long period while slowly rebuilding. And it is obvious looking back at the players that have been drafted, that 2014 - 2017 were the rebuild years, and now we are seeing the fruits of the efforts of players drafted during that period, it just so happens that Geelong also competed in those years. Which is what his goal was when he first got hired. When his contract got extended people on here - and the media even - slammed the Geelong board but it is obvious that the entire club is operating in sync.

giphy.gif

I have been on the Chris Scott bandwagon for years, and yet it is obvious he is quite vilified, on this board and the Geelong one even. Regardless of what happens next week, surely this latest Geelong team proves he is a great coach? It is obvious that anyone who watches the current Geelong team sees how well drilled they are. They don't even have a traditional midfield; they just have this weird team of flexible athletic players who roam about and rotate in and out of different positions. Geelong got smashed in the Prelim last year, and Chris scott did what any good coach would do; look at why and how they can combat it and changed the gameplan to suit the players they had.

I will most likely be shat on by everyone but eh, I don't care :p I think Chris Scott is a tremendous coach and essentially set out for Geelong to be competitive over a long period while slowly rebuilding. And it is obvious looking back at the players that have been drafted, that 2014 - 2017 were the rebuild years, and now we are seeing the fruits of the efforts of players drafted during that period, it just so happens that Geelong also competed in those years. Which is what his goal was when he first got hired. When his contract got extended people on here - and the media even - slammed the Geelong board but it is obvious that the entire club is operating in sync.
I think he will become one next week ... don't mozz him comrade.

Yeah I’ll give him credit where it’s due if he wins a second premiership this time with his own list bar about 3 players.

He's had one premiership in ten years, my man Simon Goodwin has had one premiership in less.
I do maths that means Simon Goodwin is 40% greater

I guess the negative is it has taken until his side finishes 2 games clear on top for them to get a flag. You would have thought with so many top 4 finishes the cats would have hustled 2-3 flags in the past 10 years even if they finished 2nd or 3rd

Scott was handed a Premiership team when he took over and got a freebie. The credit he should get as well as the recruiting team is the ability to blood youth at the same time as retiring the stars. Geelong have supposedly been rebuilding for 10 years but continually play well into the finals.

Scott was handed a Premiership team when he took over and got a freebie. The credit he should get as well as the recruiting team is the ability to blood youth at the same time as retiring the stars. Geelong have supposedly been rebuilding for 10 years but continually play well into the finals.
No, Collingwood were the premiership team. He was handed a team that has their pants pulled down in the prelim and were considered Too Old Too Slow :tm:

The best player in the league has walked out on them as had their coach. Sure as hell weren't mince but thinking either St Kilda or Collingwood weren't ahead of them in premiership favouritism is some revisionist garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Collingwood were the premiership team. He was handed a team that has their pants pulled down in the prelim and were considered Too Old Too Slow :tm:

The best player in the league has walked out on them as had their coach. Sure as hell weren't mince but thinking either St Kilda or Collingwood weren't ahead of them in premiership favouritism is some revisionist garbage.
Sorry I rephrase. He was handed a team that had just won 2 flags.

Chris Scott is ok, but he's not at the same high level as James Hird

Amazing how ‘being handed a premiership team’ is a reason to cancel any credit for someone’s achievement (even though that’s one of the dumbest concepts in history) but coaches like Longmire, Beveridge and Goodwin were ‘handed’ premiership teams (the year after they won the comp) and didn’t manage to win.

Using the Scott logic, every team who wins should just keep winning the year after ‘because they have a premiership list.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back