Scott Pendlebury 433+ games - Is it a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt embarrassed for him a couple of times on the weekend, seemed overwhelmed and a bit lost.

Finals -like tempo may be an issue for him now?

;)

This comment aged like milk lol

Literally the reason Collingwood won their 16th flag, his 4th quarter in the GF was off the charts, has another 2 seasons in him easily if he wants, he's never been quick, he's always been the quickest of mind.

That game you speak of, he still had 26 touches, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, I remember it, he made a few uncharacteristic clangers, something he literally never does, Melbourne have an elite midfield, better than ours this season imo, so, no surprise his only down game for the year was against them.

Collingwood have just announced that Scott Pendlebury has re-signed for the 2024 season, he has currently played 370 games and he is only 35. This new deal will take him past 400 games and possibly up to 410. Could he play on another season and break Brent Harvey's 432 game record?
Well records are made to be broken if Pendlebury does it fine but potential injury could stop him from doing it .

No one plays forever, no one.

But with advances in modern science and his high level income, it's not crazy to think he could play until he's 245... maybe 300.

;)

This comment aged like milk lol

Literally the reason Collingwood won their 16th flag, his 4th quarter in the GF was off the charts, has another 2 seasons in him easily if he wants, he's never been quick, he's always been the quickest of mind.

That game you speak of, he still had 26 touches, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, I remember it, he made a few uncharacteristic clangers, something he literally never does, Melbourne have an elite midfield, better than ours this season imo, so, no surprise his only down game for the year was against them.
Seriously? I think pendles would admit himself he is just going these days, happy to have a great young team around him who are carrying the load.

Pendles was a dominant force in a Pies team of an earlier generation.

I’d think he would be just fine with that too, and embarrassed by anyone trying to make anymore of his twilight playing years.

It will actually work in his favour if we drop off next year and there is a wave of retirements at the end of 2024.

The club isn't going to tolerate carrying someone with seriously diminished on-field performance if we think we can still challenge for a flag in 2025. But they might decide his leadership is more important than his impact if we realise we are back in development mode in 2025-2026.

I would still think next year is his last. But I get the impression, at least in the back of his mind, he wants the record.

Seriously? I think pendles would admit himself he is just going these days, happy to have a great young team around him who are carrying the load.

Pendles was a dominant force in a Pies team of an earlier generation.

I’d think he would be just fine with that too, and embarrassed by anyone trying to make anymore of his twilight playing years.
If finishing 6% behind 1st in the Copeland Trophy and being one of the most influential players on the ground in this year's Grand Final is 'just going', what is your expectations of him if you were to say he's 'travelling well'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd ve some feat.
He looks a shadow of his former self, don't see him playing too many next year
In light of the year gone do you want to revisit you opinion?

In light of the year gone do you want to revisit you opinion?

I honestly thought his year just gone was not too dissimilar to Shane Crawford in 2008. Slower than normal disposals, half a step off but not enough to be a concern in the moment.

Pendles will keep getting a game because of who he is, but it will quickly turn into what cotchin was last season

I honestly thought his year just gone was not too dissimilar to Shane Crawford in 2008. Slower than normal disposals, half a step off but not enough to be a concern in the moment.

Pendles will keep getting a game because of who he is, but it will quickly turn into what cotchin was last season
Carried his side over the line in the final quarter of one of the best modern grand finals played.

He has still got it.

You don’t really know at this age, it’s a year by year proposition, he will go as long as he does.

Definitely should be playing this season and then reassess for 2025.

I think in his favour is he is clearly a smart footballer, which all the 400 game giants were - even if they lose half a step of pace they can go on because they see it better.

I’ve said before Pendlebury, when you watch him, reminds me so much of Hird. The game just slows to a crawl when he gets the ball as he decides what he wants to do.

It doesn’t actually, of course, it’s his mind working so fast and making it look so easy. He will not lose that.

Things can change of course if he starts getting injured. But right at this stage, there is no reason at all why he couldn’t play until he is 40, if he wants to. Fletcher did. Brent Harvey played until 38 and had more in the tank.

It’s not unheard of at all.

If he wants to keep playing and he doesn’t get injured, he can and will break the record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back