Autopsy Why is there a 23 game season this year and is it necessary?

22 games or 23 home & away games a year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Otherwise there would be an imbalance of Home & Away games.

With 23 games, you still have 11 home, 11 away and one Neutral game.
Still seems an unnecessary break with tradition for me.
You could make the top 8 teams from the previous year play one less home game, rotate the home/away game every year or just designate the gather round games as home game to one team imo.

Still seems an unnecessary break with tradition for me.
You could make the top 8 teams from the previous year play one less home game, rotate the home/away game every year or just designate the gather round games as home game to one team imo.
I'm happy to give up the Marvel game for gather round.

It's been 22 games for 52 years
I know, and it’s changed before that from 18 to 20. We had 12 teams in one state, even less prior to 1908 and 1925. 2 teams have excited the comp. A heap more have entered from all over the country. There are plenty of traditions in the game worth keeping, I don’t think the number of games is one of them. Like the number of teams, it’s just something that’s been relatively fluid since 1897 and will continue to be.

I know, and it’s changed before that from 18 to 20. We had 12 teams in one state, even less prior to 1908 and 1925. 2 teams have excited the comp. A heap more have entered from all over the country. There are plenty of traditions in the game worth keeping, I don’t think the number of games is one of them. Like the number of teams, it’s just something that’s been relatively fluid since 1897 and will continue to be.
I wouldn't say relatively fluid when it's been 22 games for 52 years.
I think we all know it was changed to get more revenue for Fox and 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that’s the reason it was changed and yeah it was parked at 22 for a long time. It was a fantastically logical move in 1970 to have each side play each other twice but any reason to keep it at 22 died when the comp expanded in 1987. I just don’t see any reason we should be tied to it. The extra game is to line Murdoch and Stokes’ pockets as you said but I’m never going to oppose an extra game of footy.

Otherwise there would be an imbalance of Home & Away games.

With 23 games, you still have 11 home, 11 away and one Neutral game.
Unless you were Carlton or Bulldogs who had to play the home teams in gather round, Adelaide and Port should have played each other, but for money again we comprised our fixture.

It was 20 until 1970, it only moved to 22 then. So it was 20 for longer than it was 22. No big deal to change it around.
It was only 20 for two years - 1969-1970. Prior to that it had been 18 since 1925 (introduction of North, Hawks and Dogs). There were a few weird things happen around the war (Geelong dropped out of the comp for a couple of years which unbalanced things) and somehow they played 19 games each year 1946-1949 - every year, half the teams played 10 home games and 9 away and vice-versa.

It has been 22 since 1970 (except for 1993, when it was 20 for some reason I've forgotten), 17 for the Covid season, and this year.

It was only 20 for two years - 1969-1970. Prior to that it had been 18 since 1925 (introduction of North, Hawks and Dogs). There were a few weird things happen around the war (Geelong dropped out of the comp for a couple of years which unbalanced things) and somehow they played 19 games each year 1946-1949 - every year, half the teams played 10 home games and 9 away and vice-versa.

It has been 22 since 1970 (except for 1993, when it was 20 for some reason I've forgotten), 17 for the Covid season, and this year.
Thanks. But my point stands I think in that it wasn’t 22 for a very long time and 22 was only an ideal number from 1971-1986.

One of the more interesting aspects has been not too long ago, players were asking for less games and a shorter season. Wear and tear and all that. Throw in a bigger pile of money, demand an extra game and a longer season, and mysteriously enough there's been total silence. Amazing.

Back