Scott Pendlebury 433+ games - Is it a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised that some people were writing him off and saying he is past it just because he had a bad game against Melbourne. Talk about a knee jetk reaction.

Who wrote him off?

I merely questioned why the need to sign him now rather than wait until the end of the year. If he cops an injury, which is very common for older players, then he is wasting a spot on your list.

Its why for pretty much every other player once in to their 30s they get one year contracts which are reviewed at the end of each year.

Who wrote him off?

I merely questioned why the need to sign him now rather than wait until the end of the year. If he cops an injury, which is very common for older players, then he is wasting a spot on your list.

Its why for pretty much every other player once in to their 30s they get one year contracts which are reviewed at the end of each year.
I wasn't referring to you. I've heard a couple of people say time has caught up with him, off the back of Monday's performance.

Who wrote him off?

Not really. Say, touch wood, he does a knee, move him to the LTI and pick up a train on player in the pre-season.

He looked so slow on the weekend. Bizarre that he has been re-signed so early in the season. Were they worried he would go to another club?

Or maybe to the NBA?
That's because the opposition set up brilliantly so our blokes didn't have a clue what to do with the ball

He's still a gun and we still rely on him

the Sub, is really added longevity to the careers of some aging stars as they pursue individual milestones.

If the pies win a premiership in the next 2 years that may be enough for him to call it a day.

Who wrote him off?

Pretty sure Brent Harvey would always sign his one year deal in June or July. If Pendlebury and Collingwood are comfortable signing in June then why delay it, it's a moot point to me.

Very possible but it's always a year by year proposition at mid-30s... the end can come very quickly, one minute they might be playing well and a few weeks later it's gone.

With this deal he's guaranteed to be on the list for at least 35 games more, which is 405. He'd need two seasons more, unless he gets 2-3 finals this year and the next two years.

Collingwood have just announced that Scott Pendlebury has re-signed for the 2024 season, he has currently played 370 games and he is only 35. This new deal will take him past 400 games and possibly up to 410. Could he play on another season and break Brent Harvey's 432 game record?

With resting, no injuries allowed, and the need for Collingwood to go deep in the finals in 2025 to even get close, I'd say it's unlikely - as he'd probably need to play until 2026, and he's already slowing down a bit now.

Think Boomer's legacy will remain for quite a while yet.

Would like to see it as he's a much better player than Harvey ever was.

With resting, no injuries allowed, and the need for Collingwood to go deep in the finals in 2025 to even get close, I'd say it's unlikely - as he'd probably need to play until 2026, and he's already slowing down a bit now.

Think Boomer's legacy will remain for quite a while yet.
Speed was never anything he relied on, as long as his brain is still a step ahead, his feet don't need to be.
Pendles makes those around him better, he doesn't need to be "the star" anymore, just contribute.

Out of the 23 to play on game day, if we can't fit him in the side, then the Pies are doing ok.

Speed was never anything he relied on, as long as his brain is still a step ahead, his feet don't need to be.
Pendles makes those around him better, he doesn't need to be "the star" anymore, just contribute.

Out of the 23 to play on game day, if we can't fit him in the side, then the Pies are doing ok.

Don't disagree, and he's a legend of the game - but I still can't see him playing for another 3 years, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree, and he's a legend of the game - but I still can't see him playing for another 3 years, IMO.
Injuries aside, he has surely two but yes three is an ask.
The last thing I would hope is that he went one season to many and was remembered as a list clogger.

Honestly though, I think the man would be too proud to let that happen.

Will not be lost to football in retirement, as coaching certainly awaits (after another 70 games):).

Pretty crazy that people are wondering if it's even feasible for a modern AFL player to break the record while Boomer's career was infamously cut short by North. The record should have been close to 500 if North didn't have s**t for brains in 2016.

Would like to see it as he's a much better player than Harvey ever was.
I was wondering where the obligatory Essendon comment would be lol

If he does he's just keeping the seat warm for Travis Boak

Boak will be 35 at the end of this season and probably on about 350. He’d need five more seasons to do it, four at a big stretch. Hard to see it.

Pendlebury is only 7 months older but has 33 games on him, a full season and a half.

yeah i know... it's been a bit of a meme on our board that trav will go forever.

i thought this year would be his last, but he turned back the clock in the last quarter last week in a big way and it made me think he could go on.

has struggled with a rib injury this year so hasn't been at his best. now that he doesn't need to be a key midfield cog anymore, i reckon he could still churn out a couple more years.

I think if he gets to the end of 2024 and is in range of the record for 2025 he will go on and go for it. Assuming he avoids injuries obviously. It helps being in a strong team as well that doesn't rely on him carrying the workload. Hope he gets there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back