Scott Pendlebury 433+ games - Is it a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s be top 5 in our B&F and was considered in AA contention until a couple of weeks ago
Pretty sure he was being a bit "sarcarstic"
otherwise a troglodyte fist humper.;)

Pretty crazy that people are wondering if it's even feasible for a modern AFL player to break the record while Boomer's career was infamously cut short by North. The record should have been close to 500 if North didn't have s**t for brains in 2016.

I agree.

I wished North Melbourne Let Boomer played on for at least one more season.

He only needed 18 more games to make it to 450 games.

Saying that, Shaun Burgoyne was on 389 games before his final season in 2021. He played 18 games and ended up on 407 games.

Craig Bradly, 464, a long way for Pendles, and others, to go.

Maybe it's because he had such a high standard.
He is half a second off. Not much, but I've seen it a lot with hawks players since 06, and he's following the same path.
Half a second off now, becomes 2-3 seconds very quickly. Look at Jack gunston for a recent example

Is Gunston really a good example he’s clearly impacted by his back injury.

Is Gunston really a good example he’s clearly impacted by his back injury.
He was starting to slow down before the injury though.

We get blinded by past performance that many cannot see the decline until it hits.

Is pendlebury pulling his weight? Definitely.
Is he slowing down? Yes
Is his skill starting to deteriorate? A bit (kicks not travelling as far, handballs not as impactful etc)

Gunston also had these issues (and was 6 years younger than peddles is now). He was hitting the scoreboard, so it didn't matter. The back injury definitely did accelerate the decline though

Honestly? To overtake Boomer he would need to play for 2+ more seasons. I don't think he'll overtake Boomer.

But I do think he can reach the 400 game mark. And that is no small feat.

Boomer was still playing good football, could have gone on another year at least IMO.

Pendles if he gets to the mark, will likely have been nursed over the line, don't think he's got another 3 seasons of high-level football left in him.

Mind you, Dustin Fletcher missed 123 games over the course of his career, and still played 400.

Boomer was still playing good football, could have gone on another year at least IMO.

Pendles if he gets to the mark, will likely have been nursed over the line, don't think he's got another 3 seasons of high-level football left in him.

Mind you, Dustin Fletcher missed 123 games over the course of his career, and still played 400.

Fletcher had the longest career (time wise) in league history - played for over 22 years

Was also the only player in 100 years to play league footy past his 39th birthday.

Just missed so much footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt embarrassed for him a couple of times on the weekend, seemed overwhelmed and a bit lost.

Finals -like tempo may be an issue for him now?

Big Footy is full of knee jerks reactions with the memory of a gold fish and emotional Collingwood fans bitter about the loss on the weekend. Yeah he had a bad one but look at his body of work over the course of the season - it's been very good. Sadly I can see him beating Boomer's game record but not by much.

Big Footy is full of knee jerks reactions with the memory of a gold fish and emotional Collingwood fans bitter about the loss on the weekend. Yeah he had a bad one but look at his body of work over the course of the season - it's been very good. Sadly I can see him beating Boomer's game record but not by much.

Don't think it's knee jerk to suggest he's slowing down but still has a lot to offer the pies.
It's how quickly he slows down now.
Some players go for a few years (Burgoyne was a step below in terms of speed for a good 5 years, but was super smart and knew where to run etc)

Collingwood have just announced that Scott Pendlebury has re-signed for the 2024 season, he has currently played 370 games and he is only 35. This new deal will take him past 400 games and possibly up to 410. Could he play on another season and break Brent Harvey's 432 game record?
well the bloke is on 383 games.

Hope he at least plays 17 games in 2024, to hit 400 games.

It's an outside chance but you're pretty much relying on everything going right for him, e.g. Collingwood continue to play multiple finals, Pendles avoids injury, being rested too often, decline in form, does he actually want to play 3 more years, etc.

At 35 years old and basically needing another 50 games, it's a long way to go for a guy who'll be almost certainly need to play another 3 years to get there, which will take him to 38 years in the 2026 season.

I'm gonna say no, but he should without injury get to 400.

35 year old champion helps his team to a flag, who cares how many games he gets in the end, great career amazing endurance in the modern game and will be a legend of the game, from here on its all gravy.
This. Sure records are great but I’d rather remember him as a player who was fantastic and retired when he should of than keep pushing and be gifted games to reach “milestones”

The question isn’t is it a possibility, it is more is it a necessity.
Got another flag, so let’s get him to 400, then he can take the next leap as a coach.

The man has so much knowledge to give, every club will be jumping over each other to get him in.

Walk up HOF.
Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back