Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who went around picks 7, 8, 9 and 10 ?

7 Jack Scrimshaw
8 Griffin Logue
9 Will Brodie
10 Jack Bowes
11 Oliver Florent
12 Jy Simpkin

SPP and Hayward look alright too.

Probably rather any of Florent, Hayward, Simpkin and Logue long term based on glimpses so far.
SPP over Prestia a no brainer long term for midfield.

Not sure Gold Coast targets were gettable such as Brodie and Bowes.

Last edited:

Was almost OK today, but this can't be his real form. It just can't be. He looked quite polished in Round 1.

Sometimes kicks as though he has no feeling in his leg. What are they giving him to get him on the field?

lol very premature thread i would think, The kid has come off knee injury and has had a limited pre season and is probably feeling it about now, I will hold off making a call on prestia untill next year, You dont lose talent that he showed at GC when he was v.captain and ablett went down - Kid was dominating whilst being tagged as a 21 yo.

Caddy cost us Vickery pick , Hows Bb & Jacksh going these days ?

I don't think you need to be so defensive. The thread is questioning Prestia (and someone has added Caddy). Slightly more relevant that raising Carlton's poor trades.

I don't think you need to be so defensive. The thread is questioning Prestia (and someone has added Caddy). Slightly more relevant that raising Carlton's poor trades.
Read through the thread, Im not getting defensive just rebutting the trol
Caddy at #24 is hardly a 'Bigger mistake' and the comments are just trolling richmond so i went back a few years to highlight trades his club made

How is the caddy trade relevant in the prestia thread ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here I was thinking this was about Prestia, what is the relevance of Caddy?
On Prestia, he looked really sharp earlier in the year. I know he missed games recently, is that problem still hampering him?
Always rated him at GCS, thought he'd have more impact.

26 Brandan Parfitt Geelong Pick Traded from Richmond
Dare say Geelong happier with what Parfitt looks like being long term than Caddy.

Parfitt looks good, no doubt, but there's no guarantee Richmond would have picked him, so isn't it kind of a false equivalency to tie it to the player?

Parfitt looks good, no doubt, but there's no guarantee Richmond would have picked him, so isn't it kind of a false equivalency to tie it to the player?

Not really. If one club is giving up a mid career ranged player to another to get in a pick that still first 26 picks of draft where can find quality young players for full careers it is very important. Important to see what you are giving up access to in draft in terms of player picked in that region of draft and see long term whether that is looking a decent move for each club involved in the trade transaction. It shows to me which club was more switched on with where their list regenerating process is and which is not. Does not have to be Parfitt. He is just an example but any player from pick 26 and just after in the draft, that could have helped Richmond improve their list long term you got to consider and weigh up the merits of Caddy versus that younger player for their list. Completely relevant to look at the pick given away and what was available in draft then when reviewing where trades are at.

Reason I bring up Caddy is because it is the same club that got Prestia and Prestia actually was keen for Tigers to get him there as good mates. So if they end up being both mistakes, I would consider Caddy more obvious as the bigger mistake by Richmond, especially considering he dropped to reserves team for Tigers despite not really a youngster anymore in the AFL system.

Not really. If one club is giving up a mid career ranged player to another to get in a pick that still first 26 picks of draft where can find quality young players for full careers it is very important. Important to see what you are giving up access to in draft in terms of player picked in that region of draft and see long term whether that is looking a decent move for each club involved in the trade transaction. It shows to me which club was more switched on with where their list regenerating process is and which is not. Does not have to be Parfitt. He is just an example but any player from pick 26 and just after in the draft, that could have helped Richmond improve their list long term you got to consider and weigh up the merits of Caddy versus that younger player for their list. Completely relevant to look at the pick given away and what was available in draft then when reviewing where trades are at.

Reason I bring up Caddy is because it is the same club that got Prestia and Prestia actually was keen for Tigers to get him there as good mates. So if they end up being both mistakes, I would consider Caddy more obvious as the bigger mistake by Richmond, especially considering he dropped to reserves team for Tigers despite not really a youngster anymore in the AFL system.

But Caddy hasn't been playing VFL with Richmond. Limped off the track on Thursday and didn't get up, was replaced by Miles. Or did you mean with the Cats prior to the trade?
In terms of the value of the pick, agree, just don't think it makes sense to link it to the concrete player (unless something clear-cut like a number one pick with a consensus player)

But Caddy hasn't been playing VFL with Richmond. Limped off the track on Thursday and didn't get up, was replaced by Miles. Or did you mean with the Cats prior to the trade?
In terms of the value of the pick, agree, just don't think it makes sense to link it to the concrete player (unless something clear-cut like a number one pick with a consensus player)

I could be wrong on Caddy but I thought I saw him listed as out of Richmond side with words (omitted) next to his name and not listed injured so assumed he playing in their VFL team this weekend.
Lets check afl site.

NO LATE CHANGE

IN

• Connor Menadue,
  • Dion Prestia,
  • Sam Lloyd,
  • Anthony Miles,
  • Shai Bolton,
  • Ivan Soldo
OUT

• Jake Batchelor (Omitted),
  • Josh Caddy (Omitted),
  • Dan Butler (Groin),
  • Todd Elton (Omitted),
  • Corey Ellis (Omitted),
  • Oleg Markov (Omitted)

I could be wrong on Caddy but I thought I saw him listed as out of Richmond side with words (omitted) next to his name and not listed injured so assumed he playing in their VFL team this weekend.
Lets check afl site.

NO LATE CHANGE

IN

• Connor Menadue,
  • Dion Prestia,
  • Sam Lloyd,
  • Anthony Miles,
  • Shai Bolton,
  • Ivan Soldo
OUT

• Josh Caddy (Omitted),
  • Dan Butler (Groin),
  • Todd Elton (Omitted),
  • Corey Ellis (Omitted),
  • Oleg Markov (Omitted)

Don't think so, groin soreness, I believe:

Lets check afl site.

NO LATE CHANGE

IN

• Connor Menadue,
  • Dion Prestia,
  • Sam Lloyd,
  • Anthony Miles,
  • Shai Bolton,
  • Ivan Soldo
OUT

• Josh Caddy (Omitted),
  • Dan Butler (Groin),
  • Todd Elton (Omitted),
  • Corey Ellis (Omitted),
  • Oleg Markov (Omitted)
Caddy was out with an injury. Had he have been fit, he'd probably play.

Don't think so, groin soreness, I believe:

Caddy was out with an injury. Had he have been fit, he'd probably play.

Cool, thanks gents for correcting that. Lead astray by AFL writing staff.
Ok, I take back the dig of Caddy just a VFL player;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back