Preview Round 10: Western Bulldogs vs St.Kilda - Etihad Stadium (A), Saturday 27 May 2017, 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we're offensive with our matchups and try and expose the dogs' hbf's...

Billings/Murphy
Gresh/JJ

Could backfire but back yourselves in to win it and make them accountable

Longer was pretty poor on the weekend. I know he'll probably never become great around the ground but he was a liability every time the ball went near him, it's like he didn't want it to.

Fortunately for him though, Hickey is unavailable and really Holmes doesn't offer anymore.

In: Savage, Wright
Out: Dunstan, Weller

Rice for Newnes if he doesn't come up. Wellers stats have been okay but he looks like he needs a kick in the arse to me. Wright gives us good pressure around the footy and Savage has done everything right at VFL level.

I somewhat intrigued to see how Gilbert would go as #1 ruckman, although you would need Bruce in the team to pull it off. Probably the only way you could play all 4 forwards in the same 22 without slowing us down.

It would be interesting but what a terrible indictment on our list management if we have 4 fit ruckmen on our list and don't select any of them.

Out: Longer, Mccartin, McKenzie, Acres, Weller, Montagna.
In: Holmes, Marshall, Connellan, O'Kearny, Pierce.
Left field from Mattress Guts..err I mean Moorabbin Ghost.

Oh and VDS either my senility is kicking in ( quite the possibility) or your post read Roo was delayed, which confused me.
I re read it and the delisted makes sense

You can see at the ground how much Longer is working, but he just can't do the things required to take the next step. Hickey destroyed Sydney in the JLT primarily with around the ground stuff.

This will be the game of the year. The Doggies have lost two straight, and under Richo we just don't play two poor games in a row.

It would be interesting but what a terrible indictment on our list management if we have 4 fit ruckmen on our list and don't select any of them.

I get that but the game is evolving. I just can't see how you can have a player on the field who can only do one thing... jump for hitouts.
Unless you are 211cm and 120kg... You have to be athletic, mobile and have solid skills at marking, kicking and tackling these days otherwise the opposition just gets a huge advantage. Hopefully Marshall is building into that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol with this longer ****

We smashed them in clearances

we lost the game with our inability to kick through their press

I don't think anyone with a brain came away from that game saying, 'Callum Sinclair was the reason we lost.'

This place has seriously gone downhill
Why? Because peopke see through the Longer propaganda?

He is near next to useless in general play, and he just hit the ball anywhere.

Gilbert is a better ruckman.

I would have Holmes in before Longer. The expetiment has failed.

Hickey has to come back in when fit,in my opinion.

lol with this longer ****

We smashed them in clearances

we lost the game with our inability to kick through their press

I don't think anyone with a brain came away from that game saying, 'Callum Sinclair was the reason we lost.'

This place has seriously gone downhill
Yeah seriously no idea why we would drop our best pure ruck this week when they will be facing Tom Boyd. Longer should dominate.

Why? Because peopke see through the Longer propaganda?

He is near next to useless in general play, and he just hit the ball anywhere.

Gilbert is a better ruckman.

I would have Holmes in before Longer. The expetiment has failed.

Hickey has to come back in when fit,in my opinion.
I'm a fan of holmes' ruck work, but disagree with the dropping of Longer after that game.

Left field from Mattress Guts..err I mean Moorabbin Ghost.

Oh and VDS either my senility is kicking in ( quite the possibility) or your post read Roo was delayed, which confused me.
I re read it and the delisted makes sense
Bloody auto correct.

You're not going senile.

For this game I would look to do the following changes:
Hickey for Longer - Tom has had a stint in VFL time to unleash him on the dogs his desire and pride against a weak dogs ruck will have him pushing hard to play the game of his life to not get sent back to VFL - plus Tom to me is more mobile and we need that against the dogs

savage for Mckenzie- Mckenzie was too slow for afl level you can't amble out of defence at that level Sav at least lays tackles.. possible even debut Rice
Bruce for Sinclair- I know big for a small against a fleet footed dogs but with a game I predict is going to be end to end running having Bruce members and Paddy as targets rushing in we can overpower the dogs defence and stop their run of halfback

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm a fan of holmes' ruck work, but disagree with the dropping of Longer after that game.
I disagreed with him being in the seniors in the first place.
Has shown nothing more than I thought he would unfortunately.

After being called a 'hater' because I thought there is more to ruckwork than just smashing it anywhere and being a liability in general play, my fears about the uselessness of Longer have proven correct in my opinion.

At this stage he is a liability. Doesnt mean he wont improve, most ruck are ordinary until about 25.
At the moment though, he is not up to it.

All my opinion of course, but I reckon it is pretty close to the truth.

For this game I would look to do the following changes:
Hickey for Longer - Tom has had a stint in VFL time to unleash him on the dogs his desire and pride against a weak dogs ruck will have him pushing hard to play the game of his life to not get sent back to VFL - plus Tom to me is more mobile and we need that against the dogs

savage for Mckenzie- Mckenzie was too slow for afl level you can't amble out of defence at that level Sav at least lays tackles.. possible even debut Rice
Bruce for Sinclair- I know big for a small against a fleet footed dogs but with a game I predict is going to be end to end running having Bruce members and Paddy as targets rushing in we can overpower the dogs defence and stop their run of halfback

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hickey did his knee two weeks ago and will be out for a further 6 i believe

I disagreed with him being in the seniors in the first place.
Has shown nothing more than I thought he would unfortunately.

After being called a 'hater' because I thought there is more to ruckwork than just smashing it anywhere and being a liability in general play, my fears about the uselessness of Longer have proven correct in my opinion.

At this stage he is a liability. Doesnt mean he wont improve, most ruck are ordinary until about 25.
At the moment though, he is not up to it.

All my opinion of course, but I reckon it is pretty close to the truth.
what about our improved clearance work? If longer isn't a big part of that then what are the main factors? Or do you disagree with the notion that our clearance work has changed that much?

Not being a smart ass just curious as to how you see it, given your opinions on longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back