Has big footy increased your dislike/bitterness towards other clubs?

Has Big Footy made you:

• More bitter?

Votes: 113 70.6%
  • Less bitter?

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • About the same?

Votes: 41 25.6%

Teams and fans i like:

Hawks (They deserve to be a little cocky)
Saints (Generally an honest group of fans starved of ultimate success)
GWS
Collingwood (Suprisingly they arent to bad on here)
Carlton (Ditto)
Melbourne (Probably helps they havent beaten us in 11 years)

Ok but kinda annoying at times

West Coast (Used to s**t me to tears but the banter lately has been funny)

Indifferent:

Freo (Just a bit of a weird side)
Essendon (Dont evoke the fear factor they once had when we played them)
Gold Coast (Dont have much of a fan presence on here)
Brisbane (Ok supporters)

Enjoying seeing lose

Bulldogs (free kicks, robbo and gerard, bob & the fans)
Tigers (Done nothing in 40 years but the fans have a massive chip on their shoulder)
The chip on our shoulder might be because we havent done anything for nearly 40 years, do you even understand what your writing, did you mean to say we have tickets on ourselves?

"The phrase having a chip on one's shoulder refers to holding a grudge or grievance that readily provokes disputation."

I am not sure to be honest but I do get annoyed when Bulldogs fans come onto the Swans board just to put the boot in after the Swans lose, or if a Swans fan is upset with the umpiring on th main board you can bet that a Bulldogs fan will respond to it almost immediately in a snarky way even though what the Swans fan is talking about has nothing to do with the Bulldogs.

I could be forgetting, but I don't recall Hawthorn fans being so confrontational and deliberately s**t stirring after 2014 like Bulldogs fans did in 2016. I get Bulldogs fans are happy they won, but there is such a thing as being a good winner as well as being a good loser.
I suspect we got a lot of our s**t stirring done when you got buddy (looks like an astute buy now with confirmed cap increase) with all the COLA stuff. And we had our experience of basically being tools after winning 2008, then to miss finals in 2009 and also Geelong curse in a way seemed karmic. So for me at least I didn't feel the need to be a tool after 2014.
Back on OP definitely am more anti cats and saints than I would have been otherwise. Even though I know it is due to specific posters.

Bigfooty pretty much reinforced how I already felt towards opp clubs.

Sydney posters appear to have a poor understanding of reality. And football.:cool:
Geelong fans seem to try to cover up their insecurity with bluster. And venom. Never seen so much concocted reasons for hatred just to cover up the disappointment of '89 and '08.(and missing out on 2 or 3 GFs in a row) just gotta keep reminding myself, they're hurting ;)
North posters always seem to be a couple of seconds away from bursting into tears.
Port fans come across as violent, toothless parolees.
Essendon. F***ing Essendon.
I would happily go to war surrounded by Tigers fans. Can take unbelievable damage and somehow keep going. Respect.
I love the arrogance of Collingwood fans. Even when the team is shite, they still KNOW they're the best. Kinda charming.
Carlton posters seem to absorb pain without blaming the opposition, umpires etc. Would eat their young though it seems.
I like the recent positivity from Melbourne and Sainters fans. Really enjoyed watching Saints fans last week vs Swans at the game. Passion.
Dogs fans and posters still cant quite seem to believe whats happened. 'We f***ing won'???!!! Cute.

Without a doubt.

Before I read big footy I didn't care at all about other sides. I would be happy for teams to do well because I knew their supporters.

Now,

They can all EAD:)

This was the first thing I noticed when I started reading BF. What is it about us that gets under your skin?
Surprisingly, I know a lot of North Melbourne fans. Probably only behind the big Victorian clubs and more than the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong.

The North fans that I know are actually pretty good to talk to. Well they do have some hatred for us, but it's always just banter. North fans on here aren't as good to talk to and seem to have this very unhealthy obsession with Essendon. I'm generally conflicted with North games. Do I go for them because of the nice North supporter that I know, or do I want them to lose because of Bigfooty North supporters? I generally become happy when they lose internally, but don't show it to the North supporters I know.

For example, the few Hawthorn supporters that I do know are just as insufferable as the Hawthorn supporters on here.

On the flip side, I don't know where these reasonable bigfooty Collingwood fans are in the real world

Surprisingly, I know a lot of North Melbourne fans. Probably only behind the big Victorian clubs and more than the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong.

The North fans that I know are actually pretty good to talk to. Well they do have some hatred for us, but it's always just banter. North fans on here aren't as good to talk to and seem to have this very unhealthy obsession with Essendon. I'm generally conflicted with North games. Do I go for them because of the nice North supporter that I know, or do I want them to lose because of Bigfooty North supporters? I generally become happy when they lose internally, but don't show it to the North supporters I know.

For example, the few Hawthorn supporters that I do know are just as insufferable as the Hawthorn supporters on here.

On the flip side, I don't know where these reasonable bigfooty Collingwood fans are in the real world

That about sums it up for me too. Most people I talk to don't really seem that fussed about other teams. Then I come on here and there's all this hatred. It's weird. I'm guilty for getting sucked in too.

Would I say this site turns me off clubs, I'd say no. Has it turned me off from certain set of posters, the answer is yes. If there is a club I've developed no respect in the last 10 years its Geelong. That's mainly due to the media, the rivalry that was built up, the biased blatant umpiring of McBurney and some of the players themselves .
I remember back in 2007 going for Geelong in the grand final, as I thought they deserved to win. In 2008 I wasn't expecting Hawthorn to win, all I wanted to see was an effort where we were at least competitive, I would have had no issue if Geelong had won in that regard. Fortunately the Hawks won

Good thread.
I'm not in Oz so my interaction with footy fans is largely on here.
BF has increased my dislike for some clubs and reduced my dislike for others.
Before BF, I didn't mind Richmond and the Dogs, 2 inner Melbourne teams who haven't really had much recent success, like North, so they were relateable. Over the last couple of years though, I've found quite a few posters from both teams to be flogs. Not all posters, just some. I'm sure they'd say the same of me, so fair enough.
Some Freo fans as well to a lesser extent, but they haven't been as bad in the recent Rosteoporosis era.
Conversely, before BF I didn't like Collingwood or Carlton, but my time on BF has me thinking that they're alright, decent posters on the whole and I can't recall any annoying flogs who I've butted heads with.

For a team that's won 4 flags in 8 years, I reckon Hawks fans in general have carried themselves well. I don't dislike them based on my BF experience.
Cats to a lesser extent with their recent success, there are a couple of posters who have influenced my opinion on their team and not in a positive way.
I agree with cat and hawk posters, besides s**t fighting between themselves, they are generally likeable in my experience.

The s**t flinging with dog, Essendon and tiger posters over the years has made me respect their better posters.

Overall, the only club I truly dislike a little is the swans, basically because of their sense of self-entitlement. Most of their posters are good eggs though.

I would say yes. I don't think I like any because of BF but I definitely dislike more.
I've only been on big footy for a short time.
Geelong seem to be the worst and st kilda seem to be up there.
New ones I find to be bad west coast, Adelaide and Sydney
Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond have always liked but I think their overall poster on bf appear to be reasonable.

Overall the teams supporters that I've changed the most on is hawthorn supporters. My golly we have some arrogant supporters. I always thought we were hard done by when everyone told me they hate hawthorn supporters, I now agree with them.
I love big footy though. I mean I really hope it's not a reflection on actual society but I like hearing from different clubs supporters.
I like when everyone hates on one team becuase of a situation that happened in a football game.

On BigFooty Saints had a number of fans that were unbearably arrogant for a team that hadn't made that final step, particularly around the 08-10 period, and certainly drove a lot of my dislike towards the team in those days. Random threads everywhere on the main board turned into Saints Pies shitfights. * it was satisfying beating them in 2010. These days, nah, not really.

The saga that won't be mentioned certainly gave plenty of laughs over the 4 years watching the mental gymnastics used by supporters to back their team.

That about sums it up for me too. Most people I talk to don't really seem that fussed about other teams. Then I come on here and there's all this hatred. It's weird. I'm guilty for getting sucked in too.
The internet has brought out a nasty side of a lot of people who are probably perfectly pleasant face to face. I think it is undermining its best aspects very rapidly. We are paying a high price for the freedom of expression that it brings.

Hopefully the collective consciousness will soon catch up and we'll all automatically treat any anonymous internet hostility with the low regard that is all that it deserves.

Once internet haters realise they're shouting to an empty room they might start backing their points up with verifiable fact, because smear and ridicule will no longer have the power they currently do.

Big footy has humanized opposition supporters for me, out of blocks of color on the TV
screen. I can't understand how you can generalize the supporters of a football club based on a handful of internet eejits.

Growing up Richmond were my least favourite team by a country Mile. I couldn't even begin to describe the hate. However since joining Bigfooty I've developed some kind of feelings towards them and their supporter base. Like Richmond fans I don't know how you do it, but somehow you remain the most loyal supporters around. I respect that! :)

The internet has brought out a nasty side of a lot of people who are probably perfectly pleasant face to face. I think it is undermining its best aspects very rapidly. We are paying a high price for the freedom of expression that it brings.

Hopefully the collective consciousness will soon catch up and we'll all automatically treat any anonymous internet hostility with the low regard that is all that it deserves.

Once internet haters realise they're shouting to an empty room they might start backing their points up with verifiable fact, because smear and ridicule will no longer have the power they currently do.

Don't get me wrong though, game day, I hate them all:thumbsu:

I've learnt a shitload about the game from BigFooty. Before joining, I had zero interest in the draft and trade period for example (Carlton's poor record has nothing to do with that, of course :straining: ) but there's some really knowledgable posters on here who make it interesting.

Funnily enough, I've met some glorious Collingwood and Essendon supporters on here, but it's given me a real distaste for supporters of some clubs that never crossed my mind before.

I am fairly new to Big footy and not an avid poster by any stretch, but over the last year or two, I have often jumped on to have a read.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that my dislike or bitterness towards other clubs has increased tenfold due to reading comments on BF.

Before I came to bigfooty, there were only a couple teams I truly didn't like. Conversely, there were teams that I really enjoyed watching play and didn't mind them succeeding.

However, due to arrogant or asanine comments from supporters on BF, I find that the list of teams I dislike has increased by a fair bit. I also feel that I am more vindictive, wanting teams to fail just for these supporters to their just deserts.

I know that every team (including Geelong) has supporters which they probably wish they didn't, and the ones making these comments are the minority, but I cannot seem to seperate the comments of the some of the supporters from the team itself.

I guess what i am asking is whether anyone else has found the same? Are you more bitter, less bitter or about the same towards other teams since becoming a Bigfooty reader?
Yes

Their fans reaction to the drug saga just made me despise them like nothing else. Delusion at its finest. Its slightly starting to wear off now that they're realising that their team is just a bunch of mostly mid level plodders. Some good youth coming through now though.

2007 was bad enough, but the fact they love to rub your nose in it because they've been so good over the last decade really shits me. Hawthorn have been just as good/better, but their fans come off as less floggish. I can't wait for dangerwood to disappear and for them to be stuck on the bottom for a while. Very average team who got lucky that the best player in the comp had a sook and wanted to go home.

It's funny because I used to have a real hate for Adelaide as my best mate from school was a crows fan and he'd always rub it in every time we lost to them.

Nowadays though, the Adelaide fans on here are actually pretty good and they've almost become a second team to me. Maybe it's because they're the older statesmen (in the AFL) of a two team town as well.

In saying that, no one should ever take anyone too seriously on here or any of the Facebook threads. Every side has absolute nuffies as supporters. Just enjoy the laughs.