Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

To joke or question depression is pure ignorance. What a pathetic comment. Should be sacked. Treading on dangerous territory 2nd guessing someone's personal mental illness.
It's more than that, he did just question the validity of his mental illness but implied the reason he was faking was to avoid a drug test

Robbo apologized. I don't think that is good enough.

If a footballer had sent the tweet, Robbo and his ilk would be condemning them, and the footballer would be portrayed as worse than Hitler.

So how come, when it is one of their own, no person in the media hasn't gone to town on Robbo?

I would have thought that Robbo's enemies, like Caro and Damo, who got personal about his support of Essendon players, would have a field day condemning him.

This is the third time, that I know of, where Robbo has questioned someone suffering depression.

Last time it was Garry Lyon last year, where he questioned his depression.

Before that, he ran with a rumor that Buddy Franklin's depression, that it was brought on by the end of his relationship, as Jesinta Campbell had caught him in bed with another woman. This is evidenced by Jesinta carrying a TV out of their house, and putting it in her car, and that it means that she is moving her things out.However, later on, Jesinta was on the radio, saying that their relationship was rock solid, that she would support him all the way, and refuting the "break-up" rumors. She carried the TV to the car because her and Buddy got a new TV, and she was giving their old one to her parents. I think the fact they got married also put paid to that rumor.

Robbo shouldn't have run with things that aren't true.

I think the H-S need to act here. He needs to, at best, be stripped of his standing as Chief Football writer at the Hun. I hope advertisers threaten to pull out if Robbo is not disciplined.

Robbo apologized. I don't think that is good enough.

If a footballer had sent the tweet, Robbo and his ilk would be condemning them, and the footballer would be portrayed as worse than Hitler.

So how come, when it is one of their own, no person in the media hasn't gone to town on Robbo?

I would have thought that Robbo's enemies, like Caro and Damo, who got personal about his support of Essendon players, would have a field day condemning him.

This is the third time, that I know of, where Robbo has questioned someone suffering depression.

Last time it was Garry Lyon last year, where he questioned his depression.

Before that, he ran with a rumor that Buddy Franklin's depression, that it was brought on by the end of his relationship, as Jesinta Campbell had caught him in bed with another woman. This is evidenced by Jesinta carrying a TV out of their house, and putting it in her car, and that it means that she is moving her things out.However, later on, Jesinta was on the radio, saying that their relationship was rock solid, that she would support him all the way, and refuting the "break-up" rumors. She carried the TV to the car because her and Buddy got a new TV, and she was giving their old one to her parents. I think the fact they got married also put paid to that rumor.

Robbo shouldn't have run with things that aren't true.

I think the H-S need to act here. He needs to, at best, be stripped of his standing as Chief Football writer at the Hun. I hope advertisers threaten to pull out if Robbo is not disciplined.
Tim Watson and Garry Lyon had a go at him

We all could, but attacking an individual may not turn them around to research the topic.

Depression and Anxiety don't discriminate. You can be a hero one day and incapacitated the next.
It's not an easy thing to understand until you've experienced it and from first hand experience; It's tough.

To those that can't get their head around what these diseases can do, do yourself a favour and research it to understand some of the signs of it, because even if you don't have to deal with it first hand, odds are your at least on of your wife/husband, children, parents will have to.
Knowing how to recognise and then help, may save the family a lot of grief. Call it a first aid course. We should all know it.

I did some research of depression when my brother developed it, and some of the things I learnt were interesting.

- It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Circumstances have little to do with it. But if you have this imbalance, there can be a trigger which causes it to manifest.

-People with depression who commit suicide don't want to die, but they don't want to "live" like they are, and genuinely don't believe that how they feel will ever go away. It is called "the black dog" and brings feelings of melancholy and sadness. People suffering it can't explain why they feel the way they do, they just feel that way.

- The first thing to do is talk to someone you trust about it. Talking about it builds support, and you are not doing it alone. Many sufferers (especially male) keep it to themselves, afraid that people will see them as "weak". This creates "loneliness" and many times, when the person feels guilty about how they feel, they may suicide.

-People with depression may feel guilt, and that they are being selfish talking about it. They may also feel that everyone is better off without them.

My brother told my mum soon after he felt like he had depression, and we as a family rallied around him. I saw him one time in the middle of a panic attack, and it was scary. He had to take time off work. But he went to a psychiatrist and she gave him some medication to "balance" the chemicals in the brain. He is a lot better now, and lives a normal life, and got married since, but it never totally goes away, and he tells us when he feels that he may have an "episode" again.

Tim Watson and Garry Lyon had a go at him

I was more meaning people like Caro, Ralphie, Dammo and Hutchy, who were very outspoken about whatever was said to Mark Murphy's wife, and how St. Kilda and Richo's apologies weren't good enough, but then don't condemn one of their own when they send an inappropriate tweet. But I suppose that mocking mental illness isn't considered in the same catergory as supposed racism, sexism or homophobia.

I did some research of depression when my brother developed it, and some of the things I learnt were interesting.

- It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Circumstances have little to do with it. But if you have this imbalance, there can be a trigger which causes it to manifest.

-People with depression who commit suicide don't want to die, but they don't want to "live" like they are, and genuinely don't believe that how they feel will ever go away. It is called "the black dog" and brings feelings of melancholy and sadness. People suffering it can't explain why they feel the way they do, they just feel that way.

- The first thing to do is talk to someone you trust about it. Talking about it builds support, and you are not doing it alone. Many sufferers (especially male) keep it to themselves, afraid that people will see them as "weak". This creates "loneliness" and many times, when the person feels guilty about how they feel, they may suicide.

-People with depression may feel guilt, and that they are being selfish talking about it. They may also feel that everyone is better off without them.

My brother told my mum soon after he felt like he had depression, and we as a family rallied around him. I saw him one time in the middle of a panic attack, and it was scary. He had to take time off work. But he went to a psychiatrist and she gave him some medication to "balance" the chemicals in the brain. He is a lot better now, and lives a normal life, and got married since, but it never totally goes away, and he tells us when he feels that he may have an "episode" again.

Thank you.....dyslexic 'Greatest Of All Time'. :)

This is what we need and not just "Sack Slobbo" He's irrelevant in the chat that needs to be had.

Robbo slams the PC brigade and the online "trolls", saying you can't have an opinion anymore or your labelled a bigot.
He will be a special guest on The Bolt Report this Monday with Hanson and Court.

s**t Robbo. Not cool mate.
Well. Let's spin it like this. After having read all 18 pages....
Just even 10 years ago this would have barely blipped on the football radar in general. Much less cause so much constination and healthy discussion. So that tells us just how far we have come. Most of the comments here reflect that. So we can condemn and hurl hate,or accept and experience progression.

It's getting better all the time.
Happy bday sgt. Pepper.

Your assuming mate, my cousin has been diagnosed with bi-polar since he was 17 and it is a constant battle. That's why I have more questions for people who throw the depression card around so lightly, so true sufferers like my cousin aren't lumped into the same category as footballers who have zero history of mental illness. You don't see me questioning people like Jonathan Hay with an established history of mental illness.
Clinical depression and bi-polar are two different things. Perhaps you feel like you are righteously battling for a moral cause, but you are coming off as someone perfectly ignorant of the subject you present to feel so strongly about.

i have anxiety and depression. One of the best things i was advised to do was exercise. Robbo clearly is an ignorant ******* that shouldnt be allowed to comment on any issue off the footy field.

Everyone suffers varied and fluctuating levels of anxiety and depression. It is part of the inheritance of man. We are aware of our finiteness and have an insight to infinity. In the gap is all sorts of unfulfilled and unfillable desires and wishes and losses of control....hence the angst and anxiety and stress you I and every sentient adult suffer. It's life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lately Fox Footy has been brainstorming ways to improve his credibility. One of their strategies is to associate him with 'legends of the game', hence, we've seen him crash the set of that other program, what's it called, the one where Roos, Brereton, Lynch & Johnson sit around and talk crap? I forget the name of it. Anyway, he 'accidentally on purpose' walks on to their set and pretends to be buddies with them. If Fox have to go to such lengths, it makes me wonder if his days are numbered. Then again, people are still following him on twitter.... And to those people I have a message:

On second thoughts, no I don't. Forget it. It's a free world. Do what you like. I have, however, found another twitter account that might appeal to you - Hitler. That's right. From the depths of hell, Hitler is tweeting. Genocide is all consuming of course, but what few people know, is that in his spare time, Adolf had more than a passing interest in Aussie Rules. So fanatical was he, that he thought of renaming the Nazi Party the Norm Party, as a nod to his favourite player of the time, Bulldogs star and Brownlow medallist Norman Ware. He also thinks the Pies are going to beat the Dockers this weekend.

The high and mighty out in full force on this one, would love to see the ignorance comment to post ratio.

The high and mighty out in full force on this one, would love to see the ignorance comment to post ratio.

I guess if you're an ignorant mouth breather who insists on commenting about things you know nothing about, everyone seems high and mighty.

The irony is strong when you are referring to people with knowledge and/or experience of mental illness as "ignorant" when it was you who clearly demonstrated that you willfully don't bother to learn about a subject matter.

I often say that it's the worst part of social media age - people mistakenly, stupidly think that their ill-informed opinion on something is as relevant as scientific (or medical) fact.

I think he's a lousy football journalist. For that he should be fired.

A crass, shallow moron.

Yet he's the chief sports writer for the chief sport in the largest circulated newspaper in the country.

How can that possibly happen?

Personally, I think he's got photographs of someone because there's no other logical explanation.

I guess if you're an ignorant mouth breather who insists on commenting about things you know nothing about, everyone seems high and mighty.

The irony is strong when you are referring to people with knowledge and/or experience of mental illness as "ignorant" when it was you who clearly demonstrated that you willfully don't bother to learn about a subject matter.

I often say that it's the worst part of social media age - people mistakenly, stupidly think that their ill-informed opinion on something is as relevant as scientific (or medical) fact.
Filling the 1:1 ratio there champ. Easy on the tough words, I too, suffer from depression.

A crass, shallow moron.

Yet he's the chief sports writer for the chief sport in the largest circulated newspaper in the country.

How can that possibly happen?

Personally, I think he's got photographs of someone because there's no other logical explanation.

The answer is Robert Thompson & the fact Robbo is an Ess man.

Sometimes simply saying sorry I see not enough and this is one of those times. Imagine if Eddie said this about a player at another club Robbo would and has in the past had him on the back page for a whole week. Regardless of the fact if Ed said sorry, suicide is the biggest killer of young people in Australia and it is disgusting to see how Robbo make a joke out of it and not face any disciplinary action. He would of lost his job if he made a joke about Hogan his cancer diagnosis, why should this matter be treated any differently
Yet Collingwood and their fans were perfectly happy to accept Eddies treatment of Caroline Wilson a few years ago' weren't you?

So spare me the sanctimonious hand wringing.

He ****ed up, he apologised, move on.

Yet Collingwood and their fans were perfectly happy to accept Eddies treatment of Caroline Wilson a few years ago' weren't you?

So spare me the sanctimonious hand wringing.

He ****** up, he apologised, move on.
There is a big difference in the two cases if you can't see that you are ******* blind. What Eddie said was wrong I don't condone it but making a joke with the boys when you think the mic is off is completely different to typing something on twitter that is not only hurtful to Alex but also insulting and defamatory and damaging to others going through the same thing. Yet last year we had to have the respect towards women and domestic violence angles shoved down our throats where as everyone is keen to sweep what Robbo said under the rug. To put this into perspective 71 woman died last year as a result of domestic violence in Australia where as in 2015 3,027 Australians took their own life, that is 8 per day. So in 9 days we will lose as many Australians to suicide as we lose to domestic violence in a year and domestic violence by most is seen as a bigger issue

Seriously the guy apologised publicly and privately. The irony is those who are name calling him etc could have the exact same effect on him, that the mob's accusations are based on in the first place.

Seriously the guy apologised publicly and privately. The irony is those who are name calling him etc could have the exact same effect on him, that the mob's accusations are based on in the first place.

Welcome interlopers. Do you think an apology is enough? Do you think Robbo and other Journists are happy when players stuff up with just an apology or do they go hell for leather for a pound of flesh, like a club suspension or fine on top of an apology.

Should Robbo be a hypocrite and argue that an apology is enough for all his recent issues or should there be something further like a fine / suspension from his employer or payment to Beyond Blue etc.

Is it enough for the constant apologies or is something further required for this incident, the Erin Phillips incident and the judge that took him to task for his inappropriate reporting of the Liam Pickering case (something at the core of his job...you know reporting facts accurately). How many times is an apology enough for his constant stuff ups?

Robbo was insensitive to the mentally ill ...do you really expect sympathy and rationality here,of all places?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back