AFL should introduce red cards or sin bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
What do you guys think?

I know there's been debate about this before and most people seem against it, but i've felt for a while that the AFL should bring in something like 'red cards' like soccer which means a player cannot play for the rest of the game or 'sin bins' like in NRL where a player cannot play for a period of time (eg 15 minutes).

Yes, this has been brought up again for me with the Houli hit on Lamb, but i've seen numerous instances in games where a player's crude hit that warrants suspension has ended an opposition players day and thus gives their team an unfair advantage in that particular game since it becomes 22 vs 21.

Why should that players team not only suffer no consequences in that game, but actually get an advantage? Having 1 less rotation really hurts the team on the day.

If we're worried about umps getting it wrong we can refer it to the video referees who get a much clearer look at it and keep it to non-football acts like punching, elbowing etc

Last edited:

I mean instead of red carding a player, just have a reserve to replace the injured player, so Carlton would have a reserve to come on to replace Lamb for example.
Yes but likely the reserve wont be as good a player, which is why they are a reserve. The player who hit them is in the opposition's best side so they should be disadvantaged

Yes but only for punches elbows and kicks requiring a player to leave the game decided by the team doctor. Only then the red card can be awarded by the video or emergency referee if deemed appropriate.

I've been thinking about this a little. My idea is very labour intensive, but basically, the umpires being given the power to send off players for the rest of the match is ridiculous. They are humans making split second decisions with no replays. There's going to be mistakes and the ramifications would be huge. So, umpires are given the power to send a player off temporarily. There is then a small committee, like a mini MRP which analyses the incident and whether it's worth a red card. If the player is all clear, they can go back on immediately.
That would not totally eradicate human error, but I think it would prevent total howlers at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much about footy is unfair. For example, why should Port Adelaide benefit from Houli's hit on a Carlton player? So how far do you want to go with evening things up?

What do you guys think?

I know there's been debate about this before and most people seem against it, but i've felt for a while that the AFL should bring in something like 'red cards' like soccer which means a player cannot play for the rest of the game. ...

Thanks for clarifying what a red card means

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back