AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

First change I'd make without a doubt is Watson for Bird. Watson is not helping us in the middle, nor is he helping us in the forwardline. Our midfield looked really good with Bird in the side against St Kilda.

I'd be very tempted to remove Myers for Langford as well. At least Langford takes his time to think about where he is kicking it.

This is despite Parish and Heppell having a good game. Merrett and Zaharakis had pretty good games as well, yet we got thrashed in the middle. Watson and Myers really are dragging us down big time at the moment. TBC also needs to lift, but he has been relatively good this year
Trav seems to fly under a lot of peoples radars - despite being a liability week in week out.

Trav seems to fly under a lot of peoples radars - despite being a liability week in week out.
I was just about to edit my post to include Colyer. He shouldn't have been in the side for a very long time.

We can't put a high standard on our youngsters and then letting senior players slide through week after week

Eddie McGuire - Sucked in.

Cale Hooker - Please don't run past guys that can actually kick like Walla to accept the free kick for deliberate out of bounds and then shank it. You have done it three times in four weeks. You cant kick mate, let someone else take it.

Trav Colyer - I hate bagging blokes and maybe I am missing something but this guy seems a liability to me. Can anyone convince me that he offers us anything?

Glad the boys found a way, happy to take an ugly win.

I think we struggle to make finals but I strongly believe that if we do we could beat sides. We are better against good sides in big games, I feel we have a side made for finals.

Hope club essentially views that game as a loss - more was bad than good.

Been thinking about why we are so inconsistent with our effort and performance - think pressure for spots in the team is part of it. Many players have retained their spots despite ordinary form and Worsfd has refused to play unproven young talent (MCGrath aside) all year.

Would like to see a more ruthless approach to selection and a greater preparedness to play our youth.

I reckon they were counting on having more injuries by this point as per usual

We really are the true definition of flat track bullies and play with no hard edge at all. We have players who go hard at the contest and not take a backwards step but who will actually put any physical pressure on an opponent at a stoppage ? no one bumps anyone of pushes or even engages most of the time. Take last week, Johannisen has been pressured out of the game for 5 or 6 weeks. Sides have put physical pressure on him. We just let him run his own race and find form.
The reason the Swans have charged up the ladder is the are willing to go the extra step most weeks and physically pressure opponents. Until we can fine some more mongrel we will just be a flashy side who can win and look good on our terms but look average when sides choke up the game and play one on one defense.

After getting way too emotionally invested in the north and dogs games, I decided I'd take it easy today and watch the game without stressing. Thank **** I chose to do it today. Was laughing as we kicked our 11th straight point, laughed as Goddard missed his 3rd target that resulted in a direct shot at goal for the blues, laughed as hooker kicked his 5th behind, didn't care or think about any umpiring decisions and only stood up once to cheer when Walla sealed the game.

Happy with my choice today otherwise I would have been bloody frustrated. Instead I was bemused.

Season is still alive and we beat the scum. It was a good day overall.

You have an enviable on/off switch

Carlton always manage to drag us down to their level (slow, ineffective, wide, plenty of stoppages footy)

Shame about Raz. Hopefully he'll make it back by the end of the month.

Jobe is seriously embarrassing himself right now. I would drop him but who would honestly come in?

Our midfield depth is poor. After Hepp, Merrett and Zaka we haven't got much. Parish's ball use is somehow getting worse. Jobe and BJ were great in the first half of the season are now hanging on for dear life.

It's hurting our forward structure because I can see Walla and Raz spending more time in the middle.

And yes Cale's ******* kicking. He runs in too fast and stabs every kick. Wish the coaches would hurry up and fix this s**t.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton always manage to drag us down to their level (slow, ineffective, wide, plenty of stoppages footy)

I've seen this posted a few times, but I can't understand how people think Carlton dragged us down to their level (whatever that is). All day we had options available that would have allowed us to move the ball quickly up the ground and all day we chose the wrong option, tried to get too cute with what we were doing or just butchered the ball. It wasn't Carlton making us play like crap, it was us; especially in front of goal.

Amazing how much we miss McGrath already as a team, even for such a young player.

Severely needed his run off half back yesterday and without him the blues just locked down on McKenna which meant our service out of defence was stifled.

Need him an pops back badly.

First change I'd make without a doubt is Watson for Bird. Watson is not helping us in the middle, nor is he helping us in the forwardline. Our midfield looked really good with Bird in the side against St Kilda.

I'd be very tempted to remove Myers for Langford as well. At least Langford takes his time to think about where he is kicking it.

This is despite Parish and Heppell having a good game. Merrett and Zaharakis had pretty good games as well, yet we got thrashed in the middle. Watson and Myers really are dragging us down big time at the moment. TBC also needs to lift, but he has been relatively good this year

Agree on all counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen this posted a few times, but I can't understand how people think Carlton dragged us down to their level (whatever that is). All day we had options available that would have allowed us to move the ball quickly up the ground and all day we chose the wrong option, tried to get too cute with what we were doing or just butchered the ball. It wasn't Carlton making us play like crap, it was us; especially in front of goal.
I think the better way to put it is that we don't just get dragged down to the opposition's level but we tend to get sucked in to playing the way the opposition wants us to play. The times where this hasn't happened are the Collingwood games, and the Hawthorn and Geelong games. Even against Adelaide and the WB we played into their hands and it cost us.

Shame about Raz. Hopefully he'll make it back by the end of the month.

Jobe is seriously embarrassing himself right now. I would drop him but who would honestly come in?

Our midfield depth is poor. After Hepp, Merrett and Zaka we haven't got much. Parish's ball use is somehow getting worse. Jobe and BJ were great in the first half of the season are now hanging on for dear life.

It's hurting our forward structure because I can see Walla and Raz spending more time in the middle.

And yes Cale's ******* kicking. He runs in too fast and stabs every kick. Wish the coaches would hurry up and fix this s**t.

Not just Carlton. Any side that is prepared to play scrappy man on man footy against us. Carlton, Richmond,Brisbane,Melbourne and Fremantle have all done it to us this year.

People are forgetting that a similar game was played 5 weeks ago and we lost. We finally win a close game and it's against the Scum too while not playing at our best. I see a big tick.

We really are the true definition of flat track bullies and play with no hard edge at all. We have players who go hard at the contest and not take a backwards step but who will actually put any physical pressure on an opponent at a stoppage ? no one bumps anyone of pushes or even engages most of the time. Take last week, Johannisen has been pressured out of the game for 5 or 6 weeks. Sides have put physical pressure on him. We just let him run his own race and find form.
The reason the Swans have charged up the ladder is the are willing to go the extra step most weeks and physically pressure opponents. Until we can fine some more mongrel we will just be a flashy side who can win and look good on our terms but look average when sides choke up the game and play one on one defense.

How are we flat track bullys when we cant pummel lower teams but are capable of doing it to sides around us on the ladder?

I'm surprised the match committee didn't see that performance from Watson coming.
Colyer has been poor for a long time as well.
What is going on with the Match committee?????????

Cale Hooker - Please don't run past guys that can actually kick like Walla to accept the free kick for deliberate out of bounds and then shank it. You have done it three times in four weeks. You cant kick mate, let someone else take it.

Trav Colyer - I hate bagging blokes and maybe I am missing something but this guy seems a liability to me. Can anyone convince me that he offers us anything?

Glad the boys found a way, happy to take an ugly win.

I think we struggle to make finals but I strongly believe that if we do we could beat sides. We are better against good sides in big games, I feel we have a side made for finals.

At first I thought it was his speed.. but he really doesn't offer that. You barely notice him outrunning anyone. And not to mention he loves to butcher it and has butter fingers.. I've been surprised he's kept his spot most of the season TBH

How are we flat track bullys when we cant pummel lower teams but are capable of doing it to sides around us on the ladder?

Because we only look good when we can play on our terms. The teams we have smashed further up the ladder have not and do not play man on man defense and have allowed us to control the game. I know we can not always control the game but we need to find a way of working harder when it does not go our way. Position on the ladder has nothing to do with it. It is all about playing well when other sides let us do so.

Not just Carlton. Any side that is prepared to play scrappy man on man footy against us. Carlton, Richmond,Brisbane,Melbourne and Fremantle have all done it to us this year.
So did North and Carlton again yesterday, we won both ugly. I don't disagree with you but think we are learning to deal with it and the trend of win/loss is positive. I hope more do it to give us more practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back