Bluemour Discussion Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure anyone was suggesting a straight swap, so cool the jets there. Late first plus Cameron was the ballpark.

Nowhere near the ball park of expectation! Not even close to what we would want.
But there where definitely posters quite willing for the straight swap.
Not sure if you were one or not but no need to back pedal. If you were one, just admit you where wrong and think about what you propose next time.......

Just my opinion, but if the Lynch rumours are true, then that's our 2018 first rounder gone.

So if were getting Kelly, we have to use our 1st rounder this year. He is worth it, and we have no alternative tbh.

Especially if Gibbs stays... I can't see us giving up both 1st rounders..

Just my opinion, but if the Lynch rumours are true, then that's our 2018 first rounder gone.

So if were getting Kelly, we have to use our 1st rounder this year. He is worth it, and we have no alternative tbh.

Lynch will be a RFA next season

It may not be the worse thing they could do, should the money be of little, or very little consideration.
Boyd & Casboult interchanging ruck and forward duties? Just feels like not such a bad idea.

Still see Melbourne being the surprise when it come to Casboult.
Most have it as 1. Richmond & 2. Collingwood but I can see Levi in Red & Blue.
Don`t forget Freo are also very interested, but would Levi move his family over there..............???

Would not need to give a pick for him, just a contract offer with big numbers on it............

Re Kerridge.

He's young.

He's seriously committed to being the best footballer he can be.

I love that he's at the club.

I love that he's being rewarded for his work.

I love that he's improving each week.

I love the example he is setting for the new guys.

If he can persuade the "more talented" players to work as hard and be as committed to improvement as he is???

We will be a much better club for him being here.

Great post.

We can't underestimate how important players like Kerridge & Ed are for the development of our young midfielders. Players like them with elite endurance and work ethic are enormous for the growth of our young list, especially during preseason if they get paired up with a Samo, Fisher or Polson, these players will come on in leaps and bounds once the have the tank to push themselves to more contests and work both ways.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch will be a RFA next season

Dangerfield was a RFA too.

Adelaide matched the offer and forced Geelong to trade.

However, Geelong was stretched for cap space and didn't offer anywhere near what it is suggested we have offered Lynch.

All hinges on their cap space & whether GC think they can get more out of us than what the AFL compensation will be?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This is heresy I know, but if Gibbs is going to stay and Kelly wants to come to us... I'm not sure I want him.

Unfortunate though it may be, we are looking at (again) having the number 1 pick. This would be a minimum starting point for the trade. That means giving up a 12-15 player (say, Rayner) for an 8-10 established star (Kelly). GWS will also want more than pick one.

Stay away from PSD threats. That won't happen. It ruins a club's negotiating stance if you even go down that path.

We cannot afford to give up multiple assets for one player. We need to continue to rebuild. The Messiah system is dead. Last year shows us the value of multiple picks and the courage it takes to play kids and properly develop them.

I rate Kelly highly but do not want him for (say) pick 1 plus a good player or another pick. That will only set us backwards. I don't even want him for pick 1 alone. TBH (delusional though others might think it), if we are giving up pick 1 for Kelly, I want something back. He is five years into an already stellar career. That is five years we won't have.

Maybe this is why there are rumours SOS is not that fussed if Gibbs leaves. It certainly makes the path to a trade easier. I want Gibbs to stay but if we are to get Kelly, it may be the only viable way.

You've lost the first 4 years of Kelly's career.

The first 2 years were development years, nothing significant or game-breaking.

The 3rd year was pretty good.

The 4th year was elite.

You are buying 8+ elite years from Kelly.

You are also buying a guy who is in same age vicinity as Cripps, Docherty and Plowman. That's arguably more important than anything else right now, this midfield needs help desperately.

Pick 1 gets it done.

We cannot afford to give up multiple assets for one player. We need to continue to rebuild. The Messiah system is dead. Last year shows us the value of multiple picks and the courage it takes to play kids and properly develop them.

Exactly the reason i don't want him. At this stage in our rebuild (while we still have players like graham, smedts, sumner, palmer on our list) it would be silly to give up multiples for 1 player. i'd prefer to "risk" it with Rayner or whoever else is the number 2 than spend pick 2 + a player in our 22 or a top 40 draft pick for Kelly. doesn't matter how elite he is if he's still passing the ball to Nick Graham or Billy Smedts

Personally i think he's only worth it if we extract 2 for 1 in another way (ie we get 2 top 25 picks for gibbs), or if we only have to pay 1 pick for him.

Last edited:
Agree with Mr. Plow. You give pick 1 for Kelly any day of the week.

Whilst Rayner is showing signs that he could be the next Dustin Martin, he is unproven at AFL level. Kelly is proven.

Ideally, lose Gibbs and Casboult, keep Pick 1 and still get Kelly and Hopper. Wishful thinking I know, but let's see how SOS the houdini works his magic.

There'll be next year. Some serious talent in the 2018 crop.

We keep hearing this and keep saying it, but is next years #8-#10 going to be better than if we have pick #1 this year?
How much better? What type of player?

So we may not finish that high, but should the club bank on finishing low for an early pick in '18? How do you sell that notion to Bolton?
Should we forgo 12 months development into a the player we know we'd take now, for someone we have no idea about in 12 months time?

Yes, the 2018 crop looks better than this years right now, but who knows what can come about for some of the highly touted players across the course of the next 12 months?

If we had the choice of moving this years or next years for Kelly, I'd move on next years. We just may not have that opportunity.

This is heresy I know, but if Gibbs is going to stay and Kelly wants to come to us... I'm not sure I want him.

Unfortunate though it may be, we are looking at (again) having the number 1 pick. This would be a minimum starting point for the trade. That means giving up a 12-15 player (say, Rayner) for an 8-10 established star (Kelly). GWS will also want more than pick one.

Stay away from PSD threats. That won't happen. It ruins a club's negotiating stance if you even go down that path.

I rate Kelly highly but do not want him for (say) pick 1 plus a good player or another pick. That will only set us backwards. I don't even want him for pick 1 alone. TBH (delusional though others might think it), if we are giving up pick 1 for Kelly, I want something back. He is five years into an already stellar career. That is five years we won't have.

Maybe this is why there are rumours SOS is not that fussed if Gibbs leaves. It certainly makes the path to a trade easier. I want Gibbs to stay but if we are to get Kelly, it may be the only viable way.

I agree pick 1 is fair. If they want more then it is GWS who is walking Kelly to the PSD not us. If kelly nominates the Blues and we offer fair compensation (ie #1) and they want more picks and or player , then they are the ones being hard to deal with. Perhaps we should refuse to deal with them in the future? There is nothing wrong with being a tough but fair negotiator- which SOS is and if that means that a player is seemingly stymied from getting to us, then that is GWS preventing their own player from getting to the club that he wants to. That is not good for GWS player retention going forwards- (by necessity, a fair chunk of their draftees are going to be melbourne based), and if they get a reputation of being overly difficult when a player wants to leave, that builds discontent and impacts on club culture. They know that. That is why "number one, gets it done" IMO

We keep hearing this and keep saying it, but is next years #8-#10 going to be better than if we have pick #1 this year?
How much better? What type of player?

So we may not finish that high, but should the club bank on finishing low for an early pick in '18? How do you sell that notion to Bolton?
Should we forgo 12 months development into a the player we know we'd take now, for someone we have no idea about in 12 months time?

Yes, the 2018 crop looks better than this years right now, but who knows what can come about for some of the highly touted players across the course of the next 12 months?

If we had the choice of moving this years or next years for Kelly, I'd move on next years. We just may not have that opportunity.
100% correct - all comes down to any bigger trade strategies we have, where we forecast finishing next year and what we think will be available at our draft position.

That still sounds fair enough.

Fact is that we don't have a Cameron (Wright?), having lost Betts & Garlett.
LeBois may....may...become that player, but you can't just sit on that to come about.

Whichever way though, we won't be seeing Cameron.
We won't Cameron...that discussion was months ago when a rumour came out. I just find it funny that a poster or two is strutting around here saying things like 'you were wrong' and 'think about what you propose next time'...like this is an opinion board and I have a different opinion about the potential of Cameron...

Re Kerridge.

He's young.

He's seriously committed to being the best footballer he can be.

I love that he's at the club.

I love that he's being rewarded for his work.

I love that he's improving each week.

I love the example he is setting for the new guys.

If he can persuade the "more talented" players to work as hard and be as committed to improvement as he is???

We will be a much better club for him being here.
Hard work always beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Hard work always beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

We had the perfect example of talent that won't work hard in Menzel, would rather Kerridge any day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back