Autopsy Saints v Richmond - Thanks Roo

Remove this Banner Ad

Th

ats the point if there's no harm in doing it why not try it.
Like worst case we get a lot of goals kicked against us by there midfield which was happening anyway best case is that one or more of acres gresh or lonie dominate and show that they are clear and pure mids. Most likely somewhere in the middle where they get some more experience playing on the ball but Richy is to stubborn to try and do that
So you bring 2 players into the midfield that are having no impact on the game in the hope they will dominate?

Not sure that just throwing players into the middle to see what happens is a great strategy. Sorry I don't think it has anything to do with stubbornness at all.

You don't just put players in the middle to get experience unless they have shown they are capable, we may have lost by 15 goals or more.

If we are lookong for somebody to just lay a few tackles than we may as well just play Nathan Wright. At least he makes them hurt.

Nobody is disputing Lonies effort. Tries harder than anybody, unfortunately he is genetically challenged and his skill errors really hurt us.

One of his turnovers in the first was as big a howler as u will ever see. Had a bloke 20m in front in the clear, another one 40m out the back. Splits the difference and picks the Richmond bloke 30m away. Executes either kick it is a certain goal as we had the overlap.

Makes these fundamental mistakes so regularly I don't know how u can miss it, but hey people see what the want to see right?
I am no real fan of Lonie and think he is limited.

Your post is fair, many are just abusive.

Soundly beaten by a better team. Intensity lacked and you could feel the difference between 1 team playing for top 4 and 1 team playing for not much.

Still seen enough this year to be super excited for next year, if half of our 'b graders' step up to 'a' next year we'll be in the 8 if not 4

Life without Roo is going to be tough. We will miss u champ.

I am done posting for a little while after this, have grace concerns we are in a fair bit of trouble. The reality is Pies and Hawks are probably better teams than we are, which effectively has about 13th. We are hovering around the bottom 6 and Richo is 4 years into the rebuild. He promised a daring game plan that uses the corridor, yet we rank last in the comp for corridor use. He is struggling.

Not saying it is all Richo though. We need to take a quantum leap forward next year. Bringing in 1 or 2 guns is not enough. Will need massive improvement from 5-6 players minimum on top of this. So much has to change next year.

At least there were some positives for this year: Sinclair, Ross, Carilisle, Billings were all great. Much better signs from Longer and Dunstan as the year progressed.

Forget the result of the game, whatever, we'll win some more and lose some more. I'm just having touble accepting the fact that I'll never get to see Nick Riewoldt play for St Kilda again. He's been the face, heart and soul of the club for so long it's impossible to imagine it without him. I'm just glad I was able to be there to see off the absolute champion, and that he got the standing ovation he deserved from everyone on both sides.

Next year will be the first year I have followed St Kilda where we don't have a genuine superstar on the list.

And I'm no spring chicken.

Next year will be the first year I have followed St Kilda where we don't have a genuine superstar on the list.

Maybe that is a good thing though.

A chance for Acres, Billings, Gresham or Ross to take a big leap and become all Australian caliber footballers.

Too many middle of the table performances today

Worthy

Sinclair, Dunstan, Longer, Billings, Roo, Gresh

Passable/average
Brown, Carlisle, Savage, Webster, Ross, Steven, Bruce, Membrey, Steele, Acres (barely)

Stank it up
Weller, Lonie (not from want of trying), Stevens, Newnes, Roberton (8 possies)

Gears KO'd 1st round

That's a great point! In my time watching it's something like:

1987 - 1994: Lockett
1995 - 2003: Harvey
2004 - 2017: Riewoldt

I've been super-lucky in hindsight. I wonder who and when the next one is?

That bit of rain didn't help turned Dusty into an unstoppable force til it dried up (umps as well)

Brown, Weller, Lonie, Bruce, Roberton, Webster are below what we need right now.

We won all of the stats except I50's which they won by 6 to win by 47 points we need to fix our defence or our forwardline to go forward.

Bruce/Wellers drop in form and Billings kicking cost us finals.

Defence Brown's a boat, Roberton can't play 3rd tall Pick 2 of Roberton, Webster, Savage and trade 1 for a marking spoiling 3rd tall.

Roberton will most probably be All Australian

Webster is 24 has only played 64 games and is just starting to show his worth

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 5 marks in Rd 20 8-pt win over West Coast at Etihad Stadium (6 Aug 2017)

dot.gif

29 disps (17 kicks 12 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 7 23-pt win over GWS at Etihad Stadium (5 May 2017)

dot.gif

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 6 75-pt win over Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium (29 Apr 2017)

dot.gif

25 disps (13 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 4 14-pt win over Collingwood at Etihad Stadium (16 Apr 2017)

Bruce has not had a great year , however he will only improve on this year - if the ball gets delivered better he will be better.

Lonie is young and needs more time

Savage has had a pretty good last half of the season - and looking at todays game it is pretty had to stop the ball going into the backline when it's coming in continuously

Brown was recruited because we never had a tall defender and he has performed O'k this year - hopefully Goddard comes good and we pick up another tall defender

Weller has not had a good year and going forward he will only be a depth player = hope we can use him in a trade

So out of the list of players you have named I would keep them all but Weller if we could find a good trade for him, if not keep him as well.

We have lost Roo , Montagna , Dempster and will most probably de-list Holmes and will most probably move on another for trade and that could be anyone from Hickey , Weller or Armitage depending on who we can get and if this is the case we need to draft at least 5 players.

If we can get a elite mid like Kelly and a FA like Martin or Rockcliff and a good young defender and use pick 7 in the draft to score another young mid, this will only give us one more vacant position to fill and if we trade Hickey or Weller for a Ballic or someone that's our squad and that squad looks pretty good going forward.

Remember - Roo , Armitage , Steven , Montagna , Hickey , Weller , Bruce , Savage , McCartin , Goddard have not had great years due to form or injury and we only just missed out on getting in to the finals so a couple more good mids and McCartin, Battle or Marshall coming good we will be in the finals and we have a lot of upside to our squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are a very fast well coached side, they got through and over our guys' structure all day. It was really great to watch the saints at the G. I haven't been for a long time.
I liked Carlisle, Gresh and savages games today. None of that really matters though.

I had a tear in my eye watching the great man leave the arena today,knowing that Nick in his #12 wouldn't be out there for us anymore. What an absolute champion leader of our club. I wish I could thank him in person.

Roberton looked distracted today. Dropped an easy mark in the first minute and then fumbled all day. It's not like him. Wonder what's going on. The Tigers locked it into their forward line in the first half and we couldn't get it out. They also kicked straight. We were on top in the third and missed three easy goals which would have levelled it up. Dusty killed us with his strength, vision and ball use. Otherwise our young mids were pretty good. It was also the best game I have seen Gresham play and Longer was dominant in the ruck.

That's a great point! In my time watching it's something like:

1987 - 1994: Lockett
1995 - 2003: Harvey
2004 - 2017: Riewoldt

I've been super-lucky in hindsight. I wonder who and when the next one is?
Same here bergholt........extremely fortunate that we along with others on here have seen all those guys in action.

And one T.Barker in the 70's.I can't remember when Barks retired.

I for one am looking forward to see who the next superstar is from our list...my tip is that it's JB.
Wouldn't surprise to see Blacres rise big time somewhere down the track.

We were on top in the third and missed three easy goals which would have levelled it up. Dusty
In a way....today was like a replay of the Melb game.....smashed in the first....calm it down.....make a better fist of things and when on top in the 3rd 1/4,miss easy goals....then lose by 5 or more goals.

Forget the result of the game, whatever, we'll win some more and lose some more. I'm just having touble accepting the fact that I'll never get to see Nick Riewoldt play for St Kilda again. He's been the face, heart and soul of the club for so long it's impossible to imagine it without him. I'm just glad I was able to be there to see off the absolute champion, and that he got the standing ovation he deserved from everyone on both sides.

Nice comments!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Carlisle and think he has a great year but people saying they loved his game today are completely off the mark. Jacob Townsend kicked 5 snags on the big fella

Listened on the radio - it seemed we employed the "kick it to the Richmond defender" as our preferred method of entry into the f50.

Why change the habits of the season.

We need midfielders/hbf with good decision making and delivery skills.

Sorry to say that ATM Savage, Newnes, Webster, Steven, Stevens, Steele and Dunstan are, to varying degrees, deficient in those areas.

If the game plan is actually long bombs into the f50 well then the deficiency lies with the coaching staff.

If we can't address that problem that we won't progress past middle of the ladder next year.

On K107 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He guys just thought I'd pop in and say thanks for the memories Roo. The game lost a true champion today. I remember the last game of Richo and it took years to get over him retiring I still wish he was out there.
Just gotta say you have an exciting young team and will only get better. I have a soft spot for the saints as the wife's side of the family are one eyed supporters.
All the best in the off season guys and thanks again for producing such a quality player and bloke.
Cheers

What a lovely post! Now THAT is what sport is all about! Going at each other HARD for four quarters, and then shaking hands and paying respect at the end. May I wish you all the luck in the world for your finals campaign! Who knows? It could be the Tigers and the Sainters playing each other in September in the next few years!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we are lookong for somebody to just lay a few tackles than we may as well just play Nathan Wright. At least he makes them hurt.

Nobody is disputing Lonies effort. Tries harder than anybody, unfortunately he is genetically challenged and his skill errors really hurt us.

One of his turnovers in the first was as big a howler as u will ever see. Had a bloke 20m in front in the clear, another one 40m out the back. Splits the difference and picks the Richmond bloke 30m away. Executes either kick it is a certain goal as we had the overlap.

Makes these fundamental mistakes so regularly I don't know how u can miss it, but hey people see what the want to see right?
Watch this guys highlights and tell me who he reminds you of

Ashton hams was never going to be a good AFL player for obvious reasons. I feel I'm seeing the same thing with lonie. Ashton rips it up in the WAFL as a mid and is more of a pure footballer than lonie but he could never transition it to AFL because he didn't have the size too or any elite attribute

I feel lonie will be the same. Good VFL footballer but that's about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back