Certified Legendary Thread Squiggle 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I still reckon that Hawks loss in 2014 hurt more due to decision at the end and then Hawks belting Swans the next week after Swans were probably complacent after flogging North in their prelim.

That hurt more the 2007 GF but I think it was because we were so damn close to a premiership in 2014 after finishing 6th and not even a sniff in 2007.

Interesting. Tell me more on your blog.
It will continue through the finals and into the off season. We've got a weekly podcast that we'll keep going after the trade period then it'll slow down.

We're bringing on more contributors during the off season to add their own thoughts.

Pretty exciting stuff.:thumbsu:

Grand Final losses are honestly the worst. Because the only way to redeem it is to make the Grand Final again and win it, and that's a really hard thing to do (see the Swans this year).

Losing two Grand Finals in three years is even worse.

Nothing compared to losing 4 in 7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond squeak into 3rd even with the heavily defensive game plan that Flagpole abhors. And Geelong are still rated pretty well, even though in the real world everyone has concluded that they are the worst football team to ever play the game and who will win that Adelaide v Sydney prelim.

I think this is one weakness in your (generally amazing) analysis, in that you presume that low scoring sides are low scoring because they play a defensive gameplan. The worst scoring team in the league is not necessarily the most defensive team, that implies that coaching means everything. Some years that may be true but I'd say for many years there's no perfectly clear correlation between the amount a team scores and their overall gamestyle.

If you look at Fremantle under Ross Lyon, which is often used as a benchmark for an overly defensive side which tried to win the flag and lost because of said gameplan, the dockers finished 11th for inside 50s in 2012, then went 9th in 2013, 8th in 2014, 7th in 2016, last in 2016 and third last this year. And that's including finals.

Richmond on the other hand is third this year for inside 50s, and while inside 50 counts can be caused by a lot of things, generally sides who have a lot of inside 50s are either playing attacking football or playing good football. The side averages around just 2-3 less inside 50s per game than Adelaide which is also a very attacking side.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect that Richmond's lack of scoring will hurt them much for the same reason it hurt Fremantle. But the reason why this team doesn't score much is different. Whilst Fremantle looked to clamp down on teams and played a cautious style of game with players behind the ball, Richmond is basically playing the Steve Nash suns run and gun "f*** it we'll do it live" style of play. The reason why Richmond is hard to score against is because their defensive players are good and Richmond sets up well. The reason why Richmond doesn't score much is because it doesn't have a good forwardline.

Last edited:
It may say a lot about them if they do. It's not like either player dominated in a losing side in the GF.
Can't remember the Pettigrew interview but Salopek talked about the post match of the prelim feeling, training in front of a packed alberton and the parade.

Understandable imo

Grand Final and Prelim results can skew the form-line memory, so that the tragic loser in the prelim looks better than the flogged Grand Finalist. I believe that Sydney would have won 2014 comfortably against Port (Hawthorn delivered a GF performance for the ages which left Sydney shell-shocked) and I also believe that Port would have won by a couple goals against Collingwood in 2007. The Premier in both cases were beatable in their prelim thrillers, but brought their best for the final day.

It may say a lot about them if they do. It's not like either player dominated in a losing side in the GF.

The week leading up to the grand final would be an excellent experience. The game not so much.

Squigglebetter be accurate next week
SEASON PREDICTOR

FINALS: WEEK 2

FINALS: WEEK 3

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 89 - 69 Geelong
Geelong.png

Win likelihood: 70.1% - 29.9%

Richmond.png
Richmond 85 - 63 Greater Western Sydney
Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png

Win likelihood: 71.9% - 28.1%

2017 AFL GRAND FINAL

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 93 - 61 Richmond
Richmond.png

M.C.G. (VIC)
Win likelihood: 80.4% - 19.6%

I agree

SEASON PREDICTOR

FINALS: WEEK 2

FINALS: WEEK 3

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 89 - 69 Geelong
Geelong.png

Win likelihood: 70.1% - 29.9%

Richmond.png
Richmond 85 - 63 Greater Western Sydney
Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png

Win likelihood: 71.9% - 28.1%

2017 AFL GRAND FINAL

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 93 - 61 Richmond
Richmond.png

M.C.G. (VIC)
Win likelihood: 80.4% - 19.6%

I agree
thankfully the squiggle utterly sucks at forecasting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back