Analysis 2018 Team Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but look at that side and think unless we get drastic improvements from players like Garner, McDonald, Simpkin, Wood and a incremental improvement from some of the next rung down, were a fair chance of picking up Rankine next year.

Brown, Garner, Daw, Sympkin and a few of the younger boys would have their first pre-season (if all goes to plan)

I think we will improve but a touch but I really think we need to have this group gel together for a few years

i reckon we need to try a few new things next year, i would be looking at a lineup like this in the JLT.

B: Williams - EVW - Nielson
HB: Mckay - Tarrant - Mountford
C: Higgins - Cunnington - J Williams
HF: Garner - Ziebell - Hrovat
F: Turner - Brown - Wood
R: Preuss - McDonald - Simpkin
Int: Dumont - Clarke - Gibson - Ahern
Emerg, Zurharr, Matt Hanson
the fact is that there are no where lear big enough tanks in Jy and the rat yet but we need to develop such things, persisting with journeymen in the guts is just gonna burn us more (a-la jack and spitta.) when we turn it over due to lack of skill hence 2 blokes who at least have relatively clean disposal, McDonald add some grunt so with the inclusion of simpkin in the middle we dont get completely monstered,

edit: and no i havnt forgotton atley, goldy, mcmillan scooter and LT.

Last edited:

Teams listing Ziebel in the midfield aren't premiership contenders. In the Brownlow he has achieved 33 life time votes. Some of those votes were achieved in the rare matches he played forward. Premiership midfield leaders generally poll those sorts of votes every two seasons.

Teams listing Ziebel in the midfield aren't premiership contenders. In the Brownlow he has achieved 33 life time votes. Some of those votes were achieved in the rare matches he played forward. Premiership midfield leaders generally poll those sorts of votes every two seasons.
agreed, the bloke could be a better forward than jenkins J rewoldt and walker.

Brown, Garner, Daw, Sympkin and a few of the younger boys would have their first pre-season (if all goes to plan)

I think we will improve but a touch but I really think we need to have this group gel together for a few years

Considering Richmond just won the flag, we couldn't be that far off

definately a bit of both, like the dogs last year,

It Would be nice if a couple of our blokes became genuine stars. Feels like an eternity since we've had a top player in the league. Whenever someone takes a couple of steps up they inevitably take a step back.

I wish someone would breakout and stay there!

It Would be nice if a couple of our blokes became genuine stars. Feels like an eternity since we've had a top player in the league. Whenever someone takes a couple of steps up they inevitably take a step back.

I wish someone would breakout and stay there!

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to find a new on field strategy, be innovative, try to something unique and unusual that separates us from other teams as our list and skills are very ordinary. Simply relying on giving games and gradual improvement in the 'youngsters' doesn't cut it nowdays. All it does is buy time for the coach. Last 2 premiers proves you dont need to be highly skilled and experienced to win a flag. If you have a motivated and manic side that's prepared to 'pay the price' then anything can happen. Doubt we'll see it though. Things are too comfortable for most at the club I feel. There is no great sense urgency or no desire to go beyond the minimum. I'll ******* spew if i hear the same old bullshit about 'interupted' pre seasons for half our list if we are 1-4 next season.

Turner Brown Simpkin
Atley Wood Garner
Hibberd Cunnington Ziebell
Mountford Thompson MacMillan
Neilson Tarrant Williams

Preuss Higgins McDonald

Zurhaar, Clarke, EVW, Waite

Waite 2nd ruck with stints on the wing, forward and back. Apply pressure, win enough of the ball and kick it to Brown with the crumbers at his feet. Simple.

B: Williams - Tarrant - Nielson
HB: EVW - Thompson - Macmillan
C: Stephenson - Cunnington - Wood
HF: Simpkin - Waite - Garner
F: Turner - Brown - Ziebell
R: Goldstein - Higgins - McDonald
Int: Dumont - Clarke - Mountford - Atley
Emg: Zurhaar - Durdin - Hrovat

Love to see a team like this sometime next year:

M Williams, Tarrant, EVW
Hibberd, McKay, Nielson
J Williams, Cunnington, Wood
Garner, Durdin, Simpkin
Zeibell, Brown, Zurhaar

Ruck: Preuss, McDonald, Higgins

Int: Ahern, Mountford, Dumont, Pick 4 Rising Star.

Clarke, Turner, Hrovat need to nail spots; Mullet needs to be thrown back; tired of Atley & MacMillan's auto selections; Waite, Thommo will play games, but hopefully Gibson, Goldstein, Swallow & Thomas won't.....

B: Williams Thompson Wright
HB: Ahern Tarrant MacMillan
C: McDonald Higgins Atley
HF: Ziebell Waite Garner
F: Wood Brown Simpkin
R: Goldstein Cunnington Clarke
I: Jacobs Mountford Turner Dow
E: Dumont EVW Hrovat Durdin Preuss Hibberd Nielson McKay

Swallow for depth.
Daw, Anderson, Thomas, Mullet all really at the cross roads in terms of their careers. Could be last years for all. Gibson also an unknown.

B: Williams Thompson Wright
HB: Ahern Tarrant MacMillan
C: McDonald Higgins Atley
HF: Ziebell Waite Garner
F: Wood Brown Simpkin
R: Goldstein Cunnington Clarke
I: Jacobs Mountford Turner Dow
E: Dumont EVW Hrovat Durdin Preuss Hibberd Nielson McKay

Swallow for depth.
Daw, Anderson, Thomas, Mullet all really at the cross roads in terms of their careers. Could be last years for all. Gibson also an unknown.

The thing I don't get about this team is that we are at the start of a rebuild and we aren't playing any of our young key defenders. Surely one of the biggest priorities next year are for Durdin, Neilson and McKay to be playing as many games as possible?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back