Prediction Bookmarked! Should we have paid Jake Lever 800k per year for 4 years to retain him?

Should we have paid Jake Lever 800k per year for 4 years to retain him?

• No - we made the correct decision to let him go

Votes: 98 92.5%
  • Yes - we should have retained him

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
This is your chance to get on the record, so that you can say 'I told you so" in 1 or 2 years. When everything happens just like you said it would.

(Appreciate there is plenty of discussion elsewhere already. At a minimum all I expect this thread to add is a poll which I won't amend, and the word 'Bookmarked' so it's easy to find in the future.)

Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
That kind of money should be for elite players in their prime. In Lever's position Rance and McGovern (both a lot better, though Lever may one day catch up). Wouldnt even think of spending that money on anyone else in defense.

This is before getting into the point that Lever seems to have shown himself as a bit of a campaigner.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes.

All my calls are wrong eventually so I'm doing the ol' reverse psychology.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Club played this well. Leaver has shown that he is not the character we want at our club. Less we hear about him now the better. No more threads about him thanks.

Last edited:

Plugger46

Club Legend
May 25, 2014
North Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Melbourne Stars
I think we will regret it in the future but sitting here right now I'm comfortable with not offering him 8 hundred thousand a year to be our erd best defender

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
I just want the campaigner's stain completely wiped from the AFC's memory. I care little if he wins multiple AA's etc, he's proven without a doubt he's a s**t bloke. Tex has pegged him that's all the convincing I need.

Yep. That says it all. Tex is behaving like a true Captain - and the rest of the league sees that (AFL Captain of the year twice).

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jake Lever is a very good player. But is he worth the upwards of $800k Melbourne are paying him? No.

We could really profit from this, if we play our cards right.

Jan 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC
He's going to be a top notch player, but not sure if he becomes a true CHB. As a 3rd tall/HBF, he's replaceable, and absolutely not worth spending that cash on. Add in the fact that he put a price on his head, demanding to be the highest paid player at he club, or he's leaving, get rid of him quick smart and use the currency (and cash) to improve more important areas on the ground.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
he will be a very good player if he is allowed to be unaccountable. but the main difference between him and rance is that rance held together that richmond backline for years. i wouldn't back lever to beat an opponent directly (at this stage) if say talia wasnt playing.

it's a lot of money for a guy who is third man up. plus his personality and decisions in the last few weeks/months have shown we were right to not give in to every demand.

Back