Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good job Bishop.

Very similar to my top 10, pick 5-8 identical. ( I did post mine before you today so no copying )

As a Carlton supporter I would love Brayshaw or Coffield at pick 10, but unlikely.

Like you I got stuck on Bulldogs pick, I had Fogarty at pick 9

If it went like that who would think Carlton take at pick 10

Good job Bishop.

Very similar to my top 10, pick 5-8 identical. ( I did post mine before you today so no copying )

As a Carlton supporter I would love Brayshaw or Coffield at pick 10, but unlikely.

Like you I got stuck on Bulldogs pick, I had Fogarty at pick 9

If it went like that who would think Carlton take at pick 10

Constable I reckon. He's Patty Cripps II

Dogs pick was the hardest - if you look at the board - who is still there that they could grab? Fogarty a chance maybe, but I'm not too sure there. Dogs will be hoping that Freo/Pies take a tall, meaning one of the mids (Coffield, Stephenson,Cerra etc) slide through. Otherwise the way I have it they slide past.
Fair call.

Fogarty and Murphy are the two I see Dalrymple really liking in that scenario, just based on past picks etc. I've got a gut feeling with Murphy - may be too early in a lot of people's eyes but Dalrymple has never really cared much about that.

Hey mate. Who might be in the frame for Melbourne's second round selections? I expect we'll be targeting outside mids and small forwards.

Fair call.

Fogarty and Murphy are the two I see Dalrymple really liking in that scenario, just based on past picks etc. I've got a gut feeling with Murphy - may be too early in a lot of people's eyes but Dalrymple has never really cared much about that.

I think they'll consider Murphy - I can't see him being there at Pick 16 however. So if they want him they have to take him there.

Hey mate. Who might be in the frame for Melbourne's second round selections? I expect we'll be targeting outside mids and small forwards.

An outside mid like Lochie O'Brien/Ryley Stoddart/Matt Ling might fit the bill - but all could be gone. A small forward like Gryan Miers similarly could be gone. Always hard to predict those picks 25+ at this stage.

Hey Bishop, love your work first time poster long time lurker. What's your knock on Fogarty? And other than Fogarty, Who do you rate as the most overrated player in this years crop?

Keep up the good work!

Hey Bishop, love your work first time poster long time lurker. What's your knock on Fogarty? And other than Fogarty, Who do you rate as the most overrated player in this years crop?

Keep up the good work!

The big knock is - "Where does he play?" -- His sluggish approach and attitude in a few of the games was pretty poor as well. But the major one is that he hasn't got the endurance and the tricks at the moment to play midfield. Where does he play? You could make a case to say 3rd tall forward or HBF. It's a big unknown.

Most overrated - I would say Fogarty haha. Other than him: Brayden Crossley. Few people talk about him like he's the best ruck in the comp. I wouldn't even draft him. Same with Callum Coleman-Jones.

Hey Bishop always love reading your work.

What is the knock against Gryan Miers? He looks to have everything a small crumbing forward needs in todays AFL.

I'm not a fan of Constable to the Lions at 15.

I know draft watchers probably think it's to early, but I'd sooner look at Lochie O'Brien, Miers and Worpel at 15 and 18.

Hi Bishop. I was wondering about Charlie Constable. How clean are his clearances, as in does he get the ball and sort of pass it out of the pack in hope, or is it generally reasonably clean?

Also I noticed in highlights he seems to handball in packs more than kicking it. Is this an accurate observation and finally, is he a pretty good kick and decision maker?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Bish,

Really keen to have a look at the athletic comparisons between the top-tier midfielders, particularly Rayner, Dow, Cerra, Brayshaw, Constable and Clark, who I'd assume Carlton would be considering with picks 3 & 10.

I'm aware they didn't test at the combine (Except for Brayshaw?), but if you would be able to compare their results in the speed, agility and endurance testing from earlier in the year that would be much appreciated.

Thanks mate.

Sorry for the delay mate! All these results are from preseason bar Brayshaw's - which are his combine results for 20m + agility.

20m:
Dow - 2.916s
LDU - 2.980s
Rayner - 2.982s
Brayshaw - 3.00s
D.Fogarty - 3.04s
Cerra - 3.051s
Constable - 3.052s
Clark - DNT

Agility:
Dow - 8.046s
LDU - 8.132s
Fogarty - 8.46s
Brayshaw - 8.30s
Rayner - 8.579s
Constable - 8.601s
Cerra - DNT
Clark - DNT

Beep:
Brayshaw - 15.6 beep (preseason)
Dow - 13.13 beep
LDU - 13.8 beep
Cerra - 13.7 beep
Fogarty - 12.10 beep
Constable - 12.9 beep
Rayner - 11.10 beep
Clark - DNT

Hi Bishop. I was wondering about Charlie Constable. How clean are his clearances, as in does he get the ball and sort of pass it out of the pack in hope, or is it generally reasonably clean?

Also I noticed in highlights he seems to handball in packs more than kicking it. Is this an accurate observation and finally, is he a pretty good kick and decision maker?

Thanks a lot.

Constable is arguably the cleanest player by hands in the stoppages. His clearance work is first class and very regularly he is able to pick the ball up from ground level or by a handball receive and pass it off to a teammate effectively.

In close he probably opts to handball out of a stoppage rather than kick - but there's nothing wrong with that. His decision making is first class and he's a good right foot kick.

While he doesn't have the athletic traits, his footy IQ is great & he is just a "pure footballer"

What is the knock against Gryan Miers? He looks to have everything a small crumbing forward needs in todays AFL.

I know draft watchers probably think it's to early, but I'd sooner look at Lochie O'Brien, Miers and Worpel at 15 and 18.
Constable is arguably the cleanest player by hands in the stoppages. His clearance work is first class and very regularly he is able to pick the ball up from ground level or by a handball receive and pass it off to a teammate effectively.

In close he probably opts to handball out of a stoppage rather than kick - but there's nothing wrong with that. His decision making is first class and he's a good right foot kick.

While he doesn't have the athletic traits, his footy IQ is great & he is just a "pure footballer"
Yeah sorry Briztoon, have to agree with Bishop here. Went back and looked at footage and you do see all the things that Bishop has said. If he was to be at 15 I would be quite happy actually. A footballer over an athlete.

The post above from jjami15 I agree with. I wouldn't turn down Constable.

Maybe a touch too early for Miers - but hard to get a read on him. Played a very good grand final, small forwards are hard to come by - but his kicking technique is something that might need re-modelling and his speed (3.19s over 20m) is pretty poor for a small forward.

Think O'Brien will be closer to 25, Worpel likely to be around in the 40s I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a touch too early for Miers - but hard to get a read on him. Played a very good grand final, small forwards are hard to come by - but his kicking technique is something that might need re-modelling and his speed (3.19s over 20m) is pretty poor for a small forward.

Think O'Brien will be closer to 25, Worpel li to be around in the 40s I reckon.

Any chance we could make that #53

Sorry for the delay mate! All these results are from preseason bar Brayshaw's - which are his combine results for 20m + agility.

20m:
Dow - 2.916s
LDU - 2.980s
Rayner - 2.982s
Brayshaw - 3.00s
D.Fogarty - 3.04s
Cerra - 3.051s
Constable - 3.052s
Clark - DNT

Agility:
Dow - 8.046s
LDU - 8.132s
Fogarty - 8.46s
Brayshaw - 8.30s
Rayner - 8.579s
Constable - 8.601s
Cerra - DNT
Clark - DNT

Beep:
Brayshaw - 15.6 beep (preseason)
Dow - 13.13 beep
LDU - 13.8 beep
Cerra - 13.7 beep
Fogarty - 12.10 beep
Constable - 12.9 beep
Rayner - 11.10 beep
Clark - DNT
Legend!
My preferences for the Blues two picks in order are:
1)Rayner+Brayshaw/Constable
2)Cerra/Dow+Bonar/Brayshaw/Fogarty

Don't think LDU, Stephenson, Coffield or Naughton will be available/considered at either pick. Brayshaw and Bonar are also unlikely to be there at 10 I'd say.

Additionally I hope we steer clear of two solid mids on the slower side (Cerra, Constable, Clark), but also two mid/fwd prospects (Rayner, Bonar, Fogarty). One of each is the ideal. Thoughts?

Yeah sorry Briztoon, have to agree with Bishop here. Went back and looked at footage and you do see all the things that Bishop has said. If he was to be at 15 I would be quite happy actually. A footballer over an athlete.

Think O'Brien will be closer to 25, Worpel likely to be around in the 40s I reckon.

So Rockliff mark 2. Slow, but wins the ball at the coalface and makes good use of the ball.

So Rockliff mark 2. Slow, but wins the ball at the coalface and makes good use of the ball.

Just for some comparability:

20m:
Constable 3.052s TAC Cup preseason 2017
Rockliff 3.17s national combine 2008
Rockliff 3.21s state combine 2007

Agility:
Constable 8.601s TAC Cup preseason 2017
Rockliff 8.79s national combine 2008
Rockliff 9.10s state combine 2007

Beep:
Rockliff 13.4 national combine 2008
Constable 12.9 beep TAC Cup preseason 2017
Rockliff 12.3 state combine 2007

Legend!
My preferences for the Blues two picks in order are:
1)Rayner+Brayshaw/Constable
2)Cerra/Dow+Bonar/Brayshaw/Fogarty

Don't think LDU, Stephenson, Coffield or Naughton will be available/considered at either pick. Brayshaw and Bonar are also unlikely to be there at 10 I'd say.

Additionally I hope we steer clear of two solid mids on the slower side (Cerra, Constable, Clark), but also two mid/fwd prospects (Rayner, Bonar, Fogarty). One of each is the ideal. Thoughts?

Yep solid theory. Cerra isn't slow by any means - he weaves/glides well through the pack. But what they do at Pick 3, might affect how they attack Pick 10 of course.

Hey Bishop,

Is there any chance that Hayes is still available at Carlton's pick 30? Would like him in navy blue but for me pick 10 is too high

I wanted Constable before, and after reading that I really want him now.

is it true that Carlton are odds on to take Cerra? also, you mentioned North being interested in darcy Fogarty with pick 4, would be a bold but great move in the long run imo, is it likely? cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back