Picola & District NW 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It an interesting debate around the extra points allocation. Here is my take on it.
There should not be extra point allocated for demographic location. AFLVIC have stated that they need to make clubs more sustainable and field sides, promoting junior numbers. So that in mind, I feel every club has the same players capacity. If last year each club fielded 4ths, 3rds, 2nds and seniors then we all have the same number of players, whether that's Blighty, Strathy Deni or Mathoura. Now the "quality" of players is a different debate, but was that every taken into account when the points system was implemented? Should the "quality" of players required by a club be a strong argument for extra points?? When allocating extra points the questions needs to be asked, Does a club require extra points because they have a lack of numbers? Or does the club require extra points to top up with quality footballers? If the requirement is for quality then extra points should not be given, this is where clubs need to develop juniors and encourage those juniors who have left for what ever reason (school, work, Uni) to return.

It an interesting debate around the extra points allocation. Here is my take on it.
There should not be extra point allocated for demographic location. AFLVIC have stated that they need to make clubs more sustainable and field sides, promoting junior numbers. So that in mind, I feel every club has the same players capacity. If last year each club fielded 4ths, 3rds, 2nds and seniors then we all have the same number of players, whether that's Blighty, Strathy Deni or Mathoura. Now the "quality" of players is a different debate, but was that every taken into account when the points system was implemented? Should the "quality" of players required by a club be a strong argument for extra points?? When allocating extra points the questions needs to be asked, Does a club require extra points because they have a lack of numbers? Or does the club require extra points to top up with quality footballers? If the requirement is for quality then extra points should not be given, this is where clubs need to develop juniors and encourage those juniors who have left for what ever reason (school, work, Uni) to return.
Not all clubs face the same circumstances and nor are the circumstances clubs face consistent.
eg. Every club doesn't have the same amount of juniors every year, same schooling arrangements , distance to same sized towns , past history etc etc.
This is what I believe the ability to apply for extra points caters for.

Not all clubs face the same circumstances and nor are the circumstances clubs face consistent.
eg. Every club doesn't have the same amount of juniors every year, same schooling arrangements , distance to same sized towns , past history etc etc.
This is what I believe the ability to apply for extra points caters for.

I will put it on the record of saying the salary cap and points system will not work and is a load of s**t.

But in argument to your point, IF each side fields a 4ths and 3rds side, then all teams have the same number of junior players. 22 players on a team..

I will put it on the record of saying the salary cap and points system will not work and is a load of s**t.

But in argument to your point, IF each side fields a 4ths and 3rds side, then all teams have the same number of junior players. 22 players on a team..

Right on first point and will cause even more angst than argument about money.

So Deni Rovers have never had to help other junior sides out with players ???

Trying to change the points system won't stop ya losing the Tasker Cup Mac :p:D

Right on first point and will cause even more angst than argument about money.

So Deni Rovers have never had to help other junior sides out with players ???

Trying to change the points system won't stop ya losing the Tasker Cup Mac :p:D

Yes Rovers have helped out other sides, that is my point. Those sides with a lack of junior numbers should be the ones who have extra points allocated, not just anyone who wishes to top up with Quality players.
You of all people should know I don't loose the Tasker Cup. Never have, never will. I think its 11 in a row from memory !!!!

Yes Rovers have helped out other sides, that is my point. Those sides with a lack of junior numbers should be the ones who have extra points allocated, not just anyone who wishes to top up with Quality players.
You of all people should know I don't loose the Tasker Cup. Never have, never will. I think its 11 in a row from memory !!!!

Who is getting extra points that you aren't happy with? I haven't seen this seasons points allocated.

Yeah I know you haven't lost a Tasker Cup yet but I know your worried it just may happen. Never say never....

Who is getting extra points that you aren't happy with? I haven't seen this seasons points allocated.

Yeah I know you haven't lost a Tasker Cup yet but I know your worried it just may happen. Never say never....
No one in particular. I'm more raising the issue as a talking point. The allocation is 45 points.

Plenty have felt criteria should have been set for the allocation of additional points.

Exactly that is my point, how and why are extra points allocated. There needs to be set criteria, not just a sob story.

I think you'll find roar has been calling for a set and transparent criteria for a while now.

Just on sob stories. Should clubs who aren't spending at least 75% of the salary cap or pushing their points to closer to limit be able to cry foul or their position be considered in relation to a neighbouring clubs request for more points on grounds of size of community, demographics etc.

should clubs where it can be proven they have created animosity with their "junior" players they have lost by openly bagging them out be considered as doing the right thing in terms of juniors or are they in fact bullying players and If so should their sob stories be disregarded?

My point is things can be seen in so many different perspectives and many and varied sob stories.

So yes a set and transparent criteria is required for all parties.

I think you'll find roar has been calling for a set and transparent criteria for a while now.

Just on sob stories. Should clubs who aren't spending at least 75% of the salary cap or pushing their points to closer to limit be able to cry foul or their position be considered in relation to a neighbouring clubs request for more points on grounds of size of community, demographics etc.

should clubs where it can be proven they have created animosity with their "junior" players they have lost by openly bagging them out be considered as doing the right thing in terms of juniors or are they in fact bullying players and If so should their sob stories be disregarded?

My point is things can be seen in so many different perspectives and many and varied sob stories.

Poaching of talented juniors and recruiting of minors is actually an easy fix.
Change the policy so that years of service, within junior grades, are not accredited to players who have been recruited from junior grades.

All of the above posts are why the points and salary cap will not work. Unless is it hard and fast and policed to 100% of the rules it will not work. I mean, a salary cap, AFLVIC would have to think twice before coming to my business and asking to see my books. There is no way in hell that will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of the above posts are why the points and salary cap will not work. Unless is it hard and fast and policed to 100% of the rules it will not work. I mean, a salary cap, AFLVIC would have to think twice before coming to my business and asking to see my books. There is no way in hell that will happen.
Its happening now in other leagues...

It is happening in leagues where there is little threat of ramification.
Metro clubs and leagues who have numerous barristers and large financial backing are being delivered very favourable salary and point caps.

I don't think you would need numerous barristers and large financial backing. A very basis knowledge of taxation law and knowing your rights of confidential information would be enough.

Deni having a crack this off season. Nathan Kerr, Des Morgan, Aaron Purcell, A few others that escape me. How many points they up to? Good on them for having a crack. With Blighty, Strathy & Picola all very active recruiting & retaining players, 2018 looks like being a very competitive season. Good to see.

Last edited:
Deni having a crack this off season. Nathan Kerr, Des Morgan, Aaron Purcell, A few others that escape me. How many points they up to? Good on them for having a crack. With Blighty, Strathy & Picola all very active recruiting & retaining players, 2018 looks like being a very competitive season. Good to see.

Had 32/48 last game v Picola - 5 guys from that game should lose a point if they all stay again next year
So should be around the high 20's all things being equal before any of those recruits mentioned above are included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back