Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

If you can be confident that Putin and his cronies aren't going to cheat and poison any one, I'd take a Russia, Peru, Tunisa, Australia group.

Wouldn't want a Germay, Spain, Sweden, Australia group.

Watching New Zealand's qualifiers makes me very thankful that we are out of the Oceania qualifying lottery. Beat up on a bunch of small island nations and then have a two legged tie against a team half way across the world to determine if you get to the World Cup or not. Rinse and repeat every four years.

We ended up in the playoffs but we had ample opportunity to qualify directly (or not even qualify for the playoffs at all if we didn't earn that right by beating semi-decent teams).

It's probably about time the rest of the Oceania teams were absorbed into the AFC pool.
The trouble with swallowing up Oceania is the travel situation. Could the Cook Islands or Vanuatu afford to travel to Palestine, then Bhutan and 2 other countries if they make group stages? What about the

AFC is 46 teams. 1st round is 12 teams are drawn into 6 lots of team A v team B in home and away games. Those 6 winners join the other 34 for the 2nd Round and become 8 groups x 5 teams and play 8 games. Then the 8 top group teams go thru to 3rd Round and 4 of 8 second placed teams go thru. At this stage you have 2 groups of 6 and play a further 10 games.

Adding 11 teams makes if more complicated and the worst of the OFC teams at least play more than 2 games in their qualifying phase before they get knocked out.

Its not an easy solution and unless FIFA would heavily subsides travel expenses it just isnt economically viable for those small Pacific island nations.

GremioPower you have obviously watched the draw plenty of times before. I have watched it since 1990 when Blatter was secretary general of FIFA and had all the balls in the different pots and then since 2002 other secretary generals have done it and not just for the WC, but also the U/17, U/20's and the Women's versions, etc and also I've atched the confederation draws ie the Asian Cup draws.

So if we still assume they will used balls with a piece of paper with the country names inside the ball, then I think they will need different coloured balls for the teams from the different confederations, rather than having all the same coloured balls and pulling out a ball with a name but the confederations clash and having to put that back in the pot to avoid the clash. The coloured balls seem to be the only way to me to meet their requirements as confirmed today when they released the Pots Final Draw.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2017/m=11/news=pots-announced-for-final-draw-2920191.html
It is worth remembering that the principle of drawing the teams into the groups will remain unchanged. This means that no teams from the same confederation, with the exception of UEFA, which could have up to two teams in the same group, will be drawn into the same group.

So I have given teams from the different confederations different coloured balls.

View attachment 437695

Ok so there will be 8 groups A to H and 4 slots per group A1, A2, A3 and A4 etc

So Pot 1 balls could be all the same colour and as FIFA have already put Russia into the A1 slot and their games scheduled at stadiums in Mostcow St Petersberg the 2 biggest ones and the new stadium at Samara, then the other teams get drawn from Pot A and into B1, C1, D1 etc slot.

So from Pot 2 to draw the A2 slot the person will be told they can draw any coloured ball, but when it comes to drawing the other slots it will be a bit more complicated as it depends what team is in that #1 slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they say the B1 and C1 slot has to come from a yellow ball to make the draw easier. It means that the person drawing the B2 and C2 cant draw a yellow ball and then D2 onwards its any ball. but that is just me trying to make the draw simpler.

Pot 3 is a bit more complicated again as they will have to make sure 3 Euro teams don't end up in a group that already has 2 euro teams so the B3 and C3 balls will be instructed to be blue balls if the B1 and C1 slots are indeed given to South American teams. The 3 Euro teams will probably end up in a group that already has 2 Euro teams. At least 1 group will have 3 Euro teams in it.

Pot 4 will be the most complicated in limiting which coloured ball can be drawn at the time for he A4 to H4 slot. Serbia will probably be allocated to one of the 2 teams from South America in the Pot 1 slots or a separate draw to make sure one group doesn't have 4 Euro teams.

Its all doable but its more complicated than the old system and wont be a blind draw like its been before when all the balls are the same colour and the person drawing the ball can probably guess what team is in the ball. Well they will know that Mexico is in the green ball in Pot 2.

FIFA will probably have all balls in the same colours. In Pot 2, the first teams outside South America to be drawn will go to Brasil's and Argentina's groups, while Conmebol's teams will be put in the others.

Any other clash would respect the same rule. For instance, any European team drawn from Pot 3 would go to a group with 1 or no other European.

Last edited:

FIFA will probably have all balls in the same colours. In Pot 2, the first teams outside South America to be drawn will go to Brasil's and Argentina's groups, while Conmebol's teams will be put in the others.

Any other clash would respect the same rule. For instance, any European team drawn from Pot 3 would go to a group with 1 or no other European.

So are you are saying if they drew the C3 ball and that was a Euro team and C1 and C2 teams were already a Euro team and D1 was Euro and D2 was South American, that C3 team would be allocated to the D3 slot and then the next ball drawn would be allocated to the C3 slot provided there was no further clash? And if there was another clash, it would then go to E3 or F3 etc until there was no clash?

So are you are saying if they drew the C3 ball and that was a Euro team and C1 and C2 teams were already a Euro team and D1 was Euro and D2 was South American, that C3 team would be allocated to the D3 slot and then the next ball drawn would be allocated to the C3 slot provided there was no further clash? And if there was another clash, it would then go to E3 or F3 etc until there was no clash?

Yes.

Imagine Brazil is B1, and Argentina, D1.

Then, starting Pot 2, Spain is drawn. Instead of going to group A, Spain goes straight to group B. If Mexico is drawn next, it would go straight to group D.

Last edited:
Yes.

Imagine Brazil is B1 and Argentina D1.

Then, starting Pot 2, Spain is drawn. Instead of going to group A, Spain goes to straight to group B. If Mexico is drawn next, it would go straight to group D.
Ok its gets a bit more delayed each pot.

In my post in with the teams in different colour i said you could get 1 group with 3 Euro teams. But that is wrong. with 6 groups have Euro teams in the #1 slot it means all 8 groups could have a Euro team in either the #2, #3 or #4 slot with Serbia and that gets you to 14 Euro teams. So 2 groups will only have 1 Euro team.

So it could go something like Brazil ( or Argentina), Mexico, Tunisia and Serbia

To be precise, groups' #2, #3, and #4 are not equivalent to the pots. Those positions are also drawn.
Yeah I know that's, why I used the word slots and not group or pot ie when I said #2 slot it was for groups A to H ie A2 or F2 or H2 etc.

If you can be confident that Putin and his cronies aren't going to cheat and poison any one, I'd take a Russia, Peru, Tunisa, Australia group.

Wouldn't want a Germay, Spain, Sweden, Australia group.

Wouldn’t happen though. As you stated, they won’t have 3 UEFA representatives in same group.

Having said that, any two country combination from those three would be bloody hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ball boy actually turned around and stopped Michael Marrone taking the ball for a quick throw-in. This can be seen at 0.58 of the video in the article. There are later pictures of the ball boy getting a medal from one of the Sydney FC players and also looking a bit smug while being comforted by the players.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...l/news-story/33d908e406fb4e3b61acf58868f3a3b2

When there is 6 minutes left and one team is down then it is only to expect they want the game to proceed as quickly as possible. And the ballboy would have been from Sydney.

If you are not 100% committed how can you be the coach of the national team at the WC.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/how-it-all-unravelled-for-ange-postecoglou/9179040
....Especially as Postecoglou's mantra all along has been, 'let's focus on the big picture even if it hurts us in the short term'. Well, the picture doesn't get any bigger than the World Cup, and Postecoglou won't be in the frame. Even FFA boss David Gallop said he was "disappointed" and "puzzled".

And Ange himself seems to have flip-flopped a fair bit until he reached the conclusion that he had to leave the job. "Oh, look, [the decision was made] probably straight after the game. And then an hour later, [Gallop] convinced me not to, and then an hour later I changed my mind again.

"And five beers later, I didn't know where I was. Look, I have been fluctuating." If the 52-year-old's celebrations had stopped at three beers, he may have found the right buzz of euphoric clarity to pledge his immediate future to the Socceroos. But he had a couple more and now we'll never know......
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/how-it-all-unravelled-for-ange-postecoglou/9179040

and

After Brazil 2014 and the Confederations Cup, Postecoglou might have decided he was sick of the Socceroos looking good against top-rung opponents but ultimately failing to produce results.

He's simply a selfless devotee of Australian football

"I like the midnight shift. I like the hard stuff. And we're getting to dawn and I don't know, I get agitated. Maybe it's an endless midnight shift that I'm looking for." So said Ange on Offsiders on the weekend.
He also suggested in his farewell press conference he misses the grind of club football. Perhaps he is simply a coach who loves coaching and doesn't want to have to deal with all the other crap that comes with the Socceroos gig.

In my uneducated opinion, I think Ange is looking after his own interests by resigning now. Ange is getting out at the right time for his career. He's well placed to secure a lucrative club coaching contract somewhere around the world with his current CV. Take the Socceroos to the World Cup and cop some comprehensive spankings, which is well within the realm of possibilities and his career probably takes an immediate nose dive.

In my uneducated opinion, I think Ange is looking after his own interests by resigning now. Ange is getting out at the right time for his career. He's well placed to secure a lucrative club coaching contract somewhere around the world with his current CV. Take the Socceroos to the World Cup and cop some comprehensive spankings, which is well within the realm of possibilities and his career probably takes an immediate nose dive.
There is a lot of self interest. Take a few months off, recharge the batteries start looking around in February/ March for a club gig as everything will end in May, the World Cup is June to early July and leagues around the world start in late August, so he can hit the ground running with all his planning post March when he gets a new club job.

Go to the World Cup and get kicked out at group stage mid June, most jobs have been filled so you don't get a month off but maybe 6 to 8, but more likely 12, with no income.

In some ways if the FFA wants to appoint an Oz coach for the next 4 years, as Ange wasn't going to go on after Russia, then this is a good time to appoint them. They don't have to build from scratch ie to qualify for the Asian Cup and World Cup post July 2018, and they get to implement their style and system for the World Cup the biggest show on earth for football.

I think part of the reason Oz won the Asian Cup in 2015 was because Ange trialed his system against 3 great teams at the WC - ie the defending champions, perennial Euro powerhouse and South American champions and even though they lost, the Socceroos gained great experience of how the coach wants them to play for the next 4 years.

The ball boy actually turned around and stopped Michael Marrone taking the ball for a quick throw-in. This can be seen at 0.58 of the video in the article. There are later pictures of the ball boy getting a medal from one of the Sydney FC players and also looking a bit smug while being comforted by the players.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...l/news-story/33d908e406fb4e3b61acf58868f3a3b2

When there is 6 minutes left and one team is down then it is only to expect they want the game to proceed as quickly as possible. And the ballboy would have been from Sydney.

Channel NINE just showed footage of the same ball boy celebrating on the dais with the Sydney FC players. He didn't appear too inconvenienced by his experience and you have to ask why he was on the dais with one of the teams. What is next the Ref on the dais as well? As I saw it the United player ran to get the ball and the kid would not give it to him and he finished on the ground. Apparently when asked about his actions the kid said he had cramp. Yeah right, what ten year old gets cramp and even if he was suffering cramp he could have and should have coughed the ball up. It is obvious that the kid was employing delaying tactics.

What is the FFA doing putting ten year olds out there as ball boys and why does this sport need ball boys anyway? In this instance it would have been quicker for the player to have run over picked up the ball and played on. This is not the first time a ball boy has been the subject of rough play. NINE showed footage of the Eden Hazard incident in which he kicked a ball boy for refusing to hand over the ball. Hazard was suspended for three matches for a far more serious offence.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog...cceroos?cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s
We may never know the full rationale for Postecoglou’s departure. It has been suggested that he had grown fed up with incessant media criticism. That may have been a factor, but it hardly provides the full explanation.

The structural governance failings across Australian football and the looming prospect of FIFA intervention have hardly helped either. The manager also acknowledged that the immense burden of the national team role had “taken a toll on me both personally and professionally.”...
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog...cceroos?cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s

This FIFA intervention has been hanging over the game and FFA Congress set up for the last 12 months. This article on the ABC from July gives a good explanation of FIFA wanting the FFA Congress expanded to include more stakeholders than currently exist and FIFA wanting the set up to be like Europe and other areas where the Football Association doesn't run the top domestic league, it oversees it but doesn't run it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...he-stoush-about-and-what-does-it-mean/8689444

and this story talks about the impact on the women's game if FIFA intervene.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ns-game-amid-ffa-congress-uncertainty/8834116

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back