Sydney Olympic Stadium to be demolished and rebuilt

Remove this Banner Ad

Big stadium of about 75,000 at Moore Park and then make Parramatta 45,000. Surely the best way? Both rectangular, cricket and footy both sorted with grounds in the east and west.

Cos Homebush is actually east of centre of Sydney. Moore Park doesn't have a lot of nightlife andway.

It is like a 10/15 minute walk from the SCG to Surry Hills/Oxford St/etc.... which has awesome nightlife

It is like a 10/15 minute walk from the SCG to Surry Hills/Oxford St/etc.... which has awesome nightlife
Interestingly that's less time than a train from Olympic Parktajes to get to Surry Hills. I think drinks and food rather than clubbing after a sporting event anyway.

Interestingly that's less time than a train from Olympic Parktajes to get to Surry Hills. I think drinks and food rather than clubbing after a sporting event anyway.

Lol, 15 minutes from Homebush to central?? Then walk from Central to S. Hills

I went to the World Cup soccer match the other day and took me like 30+ minutes from Strathfield to Stadium Australia. If there are sellouts in the Olympic precinct plus everyday traffic it takes ages.

Here WA is broke and still props up most of the country and asking for a better return in the GST the it gets stuff all in most of it goes to Sydney to built a heap of stadiums because the NRL needs them
I think they are trying to get it into their budget so if and when the GST is realistically redistributed in a closer to fairish manner they can try squeeze a higher amount out of the GST revenue because getting 90 odd cents in the dollar isn't enough. Unless your WA where you have to suck it up with 30 odd cents.

Lol, 15 minutes from Homebush to central?? Then walk from Central to S. Hills

I went to the World Cup soccer match the other day and took me like 30+ minutes from Strathfield to Stadium Australia. If there are sellouts in the Olympic precinct plus everyday traffic it takes ages.
Direct train 11 minutes depending on the event, they're often every couple of minutes. The East side of central is Surry Hills.
I get you have a different view. To me Moore Park is really hard to get to and I hate the place.

Big stadium of about 75,000 at Moore Park and then make Parramatta 45,000. Surely the best way? Both rectangular, cricket and footy both sorted with grounds in the east and west.
Not sure Parramatta will be expandable from the 35,000 it will have.

ANZ is getting a roof I think?

Do they even need a big stadium? There's probably 3 games a year the NRL get a decent crowd there (75k+), better off building a state of the art 60k stadium with a roof.

I reckon it would be better invested in the SCG - improve the public transport (it was appalling when I went in 2012), rebuild another stand and use it for AFL, NRL and cricket. Everyone wins.

The NRL and Flopball mobs aren't keen on ovals.

If the figures quoted above regarding the NRL (which I reckon are on the money) then there's nothing really gained by the NRL playing a handful of games in a bigger stadium. They simply don't draw the crowds in Sydney to warrant another big stadium. And the NRL Grand Final (or the NSWRL GF) used to be played at the SCG anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Direct train 11 minutes depending on the event, they're often every couple of minutes. The East side of central is Surry Hills.
I get you have a different view. To me Moore Park is really hard to get to and I hate the place.

It depends on the event. If Stadium Australia is sold out plus other things in the precinct it’s a nightmare.

If it’s a GWS game then it’s not to bad if there are direct trains.

If it’s a league game out there, there normally are no direct trains and it’s a nightmare again. (This is regular season games that draw 10k)

It really depends on the event and the transportation.

It depends on the event. If Stadium Australia is sold out plus other things in the precinct it’s a nightmare.

If it’s a GWS game then it’s not to bad if there are direct trains.

If it’s a league game out there, there normally are no direct trains and it’s a nightmare again.

It really depends on the event
True, I'll give you that. Ideally a game at Spotless and an NRL game at ANZ. Hits critical mass without a real crush. The QF last year was a nightmare. Arsenal game this year as well.
The light rail should make Moore Park easier.

Both Moore Park and Homebush are s**t to get to.

This is so dumb. In my eyes Sydney needs:
1) Sydney Football Stadium (Moore Park) - 75k rectangular with a roof. Ability to black out or block the top levels making it closer to 30k for non big events. Light rail will help but they should honestly look at a metro train loop from Central to Moore Park and back to Green Square for event days.
2) SCG - as is.
3) Paramatta Stadium - 35k as planned. That's the right idea.
4) Spotless - as is.

I don't see the justification for another big stadium in ANZ.

Bit more detail.
The SCG is to be used during the rebuild

NSW Government reveals reasoning behind knocking down of Olympic and Sydney Football stadiums
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...olympic-stadium-is-being-knocked-down/9187608

There’s some absolute zingers in that article from the pollies.

SFS doesn’t have enough female toilets. It’s “borderline safe”? ROFL

Stadium Aust “wasn’t built for spectators”?

Something stinks here, and it ain’t the women’s toilets.

Seriously the dumbest thing ever. What a tremendous waste of money.

They should have made Paramatta into a 60k stadium with a roof and renovated Allianz. Realistically it makes more sense to have the bigger stadium closer to the population and over the next 20 years the population is only going to get further and further west.

Why do we need an 80k stadium anyway? Other than an inferiority complex about the MCG? Who cares? Keep it at 60k and you're going to get a stadium which actually has quality seating everywhere.

There’s some absolute zingers in that article from the pollies.

SFS doesn’t have enough female toilets. It’s “borderline safe”? ROFL

Stadium Aust “wasn’t built for spectators”?

Something stinks here, and it ain’t the women’s toilets.
I suspect some old school ties were a part of the lobbying for Alliance. It's a very Easts thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back