Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the highlites last night and it seemed his first qtr was his busiest. Like Tef said, seems to be in second gear, just lopes around at times, almost with the movements of basketballer. A couple of times he should have used his left but didn't so hopefully works on this. His right foot is a cannon. The set shot for goal from 40 out sailed through post high, was easily 55-60 mtr kick.

I don't think it's any great issue as L-Mac used to do this quite a bit as a junior due to being a superior reader of the play. As long as he is getting to contests and having intensity at the contest, then everything will be good.

Some here see a starting midfielder or a forward. Tarryn strikes me as a bloke that will start at half back in the VFL/AFL, then move in to an attacking midfielder role. I see a similar progression path to Lukes development.

I don't think it's any great issue as L-Mac used to do this quite a bit as a junior due to being a superior reader of the play. As long as he is getting to contests and having intensity at the contest, then everything will be good.

Some here see a starting midfielder or a forward. Tarryn strikes me as a bloke that will start at half back in the VFL/AFL, then move in to an attacking midfielder role. I see a similar progression path to Lukes development.

agree, probably shouldn't have used the word "just". He's almost like a large cat, waiting to pounce, rather than the head first bull attitude of JZ.

It was a bit hard to tell last night but he seemed to playing as a defensive winger for a lot of the time. It looks like he reads the play well, and even noticed at one defensive stoppage he was barking orders at team mates. Watching it was hard to think of him as a 16 year old!

One thing that I think will benefit this kid is the acres of space in the AFL compared to lower levels.

His disposal efficiency will go through the roof without having to kick through a pack of twenty players just to reach his target.

it has probably been mentioned before, but say we finish bottom 3 next year, what is the likelihood of draft a rankine/lukosius etc, TT and the other F/S prospect?

it has probably been mentioned before, but say we finish bottom 3 next year, what is the likelihood of draft a rankine/lukosius etc, TT and the other F/S prospect?

100% that we’ll draft away from our academy/fs if we finish bottom 3 and then get the rest later.

Decent size already. Be interesting if he has a growth spurt. Could be anything

I swear blind I either read here, was told or saw an expert (maybe on that TAC show on Channel 9) that TT is tracking similarly to Buddy size wise at the same age. Can anybody put me out of my misery and say if they saw the same thing? I wouldn’t even know where to start finding the comparative stats.

I swear blind I either read here, was told or saw an expert (maybe on that TAC show on Channel 9) that TT is tracking similarly to Buddy size wise at the same age. Can anybody put me out of my misery and say if they saw the same thing? I wouldn’t even know where to start finding the comparative stats.

That'll be the day....

Moves like Wellsy, tough like LT, going to have size like Goodes. Bloody exciting prospect. How good is our first year of our VFL side going to be, watching TT, Ahern, and probably Dow, Stephenson, or Rayner running around.
Looks like I'll be paying Arden St a visit more often

Imagine if he ended up key position size....

I watched the highlites last night and it seemed his first qtr was his busiest. Like Tef said, seems to be in second gear, just lopes around at times, almost with the movements of basketballer. A couple of times he should have used his left but didn't so hopefully works on this. His right foot is a cannon. The set shot for goal from 40 out sailed through post high, was easily 55-60 mtr kick.

I meant more that his earlier highlights looked a bit outside and less effective. As the highlights progressed his work was more inside and less showy but higher impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean an "attackive midfielder".

Not sure he dominated enough last year for us to be hoping for a downturn in performance.

Not sure he dominated enough last year for us to be hoping for a downturn in performance.

He's got some improving to do. But the raw tools and body shape are there. It is all raw potential with him, and he has the ability to realise it.

I really hope he is a part of our VFL team in 2018.

So obviously the 2018 draft is ultra important for us. And Thomas is a central plank to that potentially. Given we control his development for the year outside the 18 champs it will be interesting to see what we do.

Do we play him in the vfl/vfl reserves? Will he live in Melbourne?

We want the academy to do the best for his longer term development but also to not get seen/rated as high. I wonder how tall he will be.

He's got some improving to do. But the raw tools and body shape are there. It is all raw potential with him, and he has the ability to realise it.

I really hope he is a part of our VFL team in 2018.
Agreed. It would see him develop further this year.

So obviously the 2018 draft is ultra important for us. And Thomas is a central plank to that potentially. Given we control his development for the year outside the 18 champs it will be interesting to see what we do.

Do we play him in the vfl/vfl reserves? Will he live in Melbourne?

We want the academy to do the best for his longer term development but also to not get seen/rated as high. I wonder how tall he will be.
If you're suggesting hobbling him so we can take him in the second round...I'm listening.

Tyran was available to be picked up in this year's draft. I wonder if we will pick him up as an NGA next year.

"Tyran Mansell will be available for draft selection post this season, while Tarryn Thomas is expected to be picked up at the end of 2018."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back