Life

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not being all 19-year old student here, but what is the point?

We worship hacks in Hollywood and aspire to be them and live our whole life tracking them.

We work for campaigner bosses, in corporations that have downward pressure, where everyone else above us has more pressure and tries to take more shortcuts, to help people who are millionaires.

These days we have to rent to live, adding to the above point.

We get home so tired, we drink s**t and eat s**t and don't exercise.

We get told to eat this food and drink this beer and then get told to be this thin because it's hot.

We are never ever ever happy.

We are always aiming for something else.

We're ****ed over by the world, by money, we would do anything for cash, and we would do anything to keep our job, and yet we're all a second away from a redundancy and living on the streets. We all try and for what? To die at 78? We all work hard and slave away to what, buy a fridge? We get a job and pay $70 a week to get there?

Life is not made to get us ahead.

We are not made to succeed.

We are made to do as we say and feel pressure from everywhere, to be kept below.

It's ****ed.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There is a lot to be said for taking a child like approach to enjoying simple pleasures in everyday life.

Mass marketing and socials pressures really do impact our sense of direction and wellbeing. Slowly but surely it works it's way into our adult brain, telling us what will make use happy. Some of it does, no doubt. But more often than not its a means to an end.

You need to own your own happiness. That is easier said than done but it's *en important.

It is good to have goals and aim for something else but you must enjoy the pursuit.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
That stuff isn't 'life' per se, it's just one of the few funnels you can fall into. You don't have to worship Hollywood phonies or work in a corporate environment. I agree though that society does tend to gently shepherd you into that lifestyle without you realising, but it's not the be all and end all. Take some responsibility, find something you're good at and that's useful, and work on it to make your life better, as well as the lives around you.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it’s straight out of Trainspotting and Fight Club and every Radiohead album since OK Computer but the whole thing is just soul sucking.

You go to London and New York and realise everyone is so downbeat, depressed, and self-centred because it’s the only way they can get by. They want to live in these exciting cities and do everything they can - leave their family, pay insane rent, work those 0 hour contracts they have, pay for the Tube and Subway and for what? To get home at 7pm and be too tired to see these bands or shows or sports games? Too tired to even enjoy the simple pleasure of cooking a meal, instead sitting down with a six pack and a shitty fatty, sugary meal?

You look at food: sugar becoming so cheap 90 odd years ago and that’s the start of it. The poor having to get fat just to eat and to afford to buy other things.

You can get away from the resentment of working hard for a pyramid like upward gain, but day to day... ffs.

Maybe I’m just a lazy *er. No I am a workshy. But at the same time this just sucks your whole life away.

We’re even conditioned to see boredom as this bad trait. Having nothing to do is not a bad thing. How many people work more to avoid boredom? What a crock. People I see at work do this and spend the extra cash on cheap clothes or junk food. What the *!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
That stuff isn't 'life' per se, it's just one of the few funnels you can fall into. You don't have to worship Hollywood phonies or work in a corporate environment. I agree though that society does tend to gently shepherd you into that lifestyle without you realising, but it's not the be all and end all. Take some responsibility, find something you're good at and that's useful, and work on it to make your life better, as well as the lives around you.
It’s not that easy.

I know people with sensible degrees in ‘timeless’ industries that are considered for ‘smart people’ and they struggled to get bar work or retail work over summer. Youth unemployment is rife. You take what you get and don’t quit because you know it’ll be depressing and a long slog to get something probably worse.

It’s easy for baby boomers to say ‘that’s life champ!’ but they enjoyed weekends off, houses they could pay off, prosperity, even a world that encouraged physical activity and didn’t allow for being knackered. Back then you were knackered from working on a port, not from sitting at a desk. You earned beers, not needed them.

I'm not being all 19-year old student here, but what is the point?

We worship hacks in Hollywood and aspire to be them and live our whole life tracking them.

We work for campaigner bosses, in corporations that have downward pressure, where everyone else above us has more pressure and tries to take more shortcuts, to help people who are millionaires.

These days we have to rent to live, adding to the above point.

We get home so tired, we drink s**t and eat s**t and don't exercise.

We get told to eat this food and drink this beer and then get told to be this thin because it's hot.

We are never ever ever happy.

We are always aiming for something else.

We're ****** over by the world, by money, we would do anything for cash, and we would do anything to keep our job, and yet we're all a second away from a redundancy and living on the streets. We all try and for what? To die at 78? We all work hard and slave away to what, buy a fridge? We get a job and pay $70 a week to get there?

We are made to do as we say and feel pressure from everywhere, to be kept below.

It's ******.
sounds like you need a change mate
have a think about what you really want to do, I mean really think about it
most people don't and they end up in whatever job pays stumbling through life without a plan

now maybe the plan is not to have a plan, just experience things as they come, not worried about a house or a career well you can pack up and move if you don't like a place, you can try different jobs in different places to see if anything sticks

have something you really like doing then find a way to do it more

is something always making you feel down, stop doing it, take a break from facebook or late nights in pubs, read a book or go for a walk or something

try different things, you never know what you might like

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I understand what you mean, which is why it's vital to find a job you somewhat enjoy/tolerate and can find purpose in. I genuinely do not know how people can spend 35-40 hours a week in a job they hate. That would affect everything else in my life.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
OP needs a joint and a blowjob.
Weed makes me anxious and thinking there’s cops around every corner. Not really alone there either.

Weed is probably just another thing to make us lazy *ers and to keep 24 hour Caltex open.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
It’s not that easy.

I know people with sensible degrees in ‘timeless’ industries that are considered for ‘smart people’ and they struggled to get bar work or retail work over summer. Youth unemployment is rife. You take what you get and don’t quit because you know it’ll be depressing and a long slog to get something probably worse.

It’s easy for baby boomers to say ‘that’s life champ!’ but they enjoyed weekends off, houses they could pay off, prosperity, even a world that encouraged physical activity and didn’t allow for being knackered. Back then you were knackered from working on a port, not from sitting at a desk. You earned beers, not needed them.

There's no point to nostalgising, especially about a past that you weren't a part of. I think the trouble is most young people are directionless, we don't know what we want really because we've been brought up being told that we can have anything we want. So you fall into a degree or career and you're unhappy because you wonder at how happy you could be if you had done x or y instead of z.

I think everyone gets pissed off at the world at some point. But you wake up and realise your life is your own and that these people who are bored and unsatisfied are by and large in that position due to choices they made, not because they were forced into it by anyone.

I'll leave you with Jordan Petersons list of 'valuable things to know in life' I've bolded the 4 that helped me the most.
-----

Tell the truth.
Do not do things that you hate.
Act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.
Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.
If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things.
Pay attention.
Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you need to know. Listen to them hard enough so that they will share it with you.
Plan and work diligently to maintain the romance in your relationships.
Be careful who you share good news with.
Be careful who you share bad news with.
Make at least one thing better every single place you go.
Imagine who you could be, and then aim single-mindedly at that.
Do not allow yourself to become arrogant or resentful.
Try to make one room in your house as beautiful as possible.
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.
Work as hard as you possibly can on at least one thing and see what happens.
If old memories still make you cry, write them down carefully and completely.
Maintain your connections with people.
Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or artistic achievement.
Treat yourself as if you were someone that you are responsible for helping.
Ask someone to do you a small favour, so that he or she can ask you to do one in the future.
Make friends with people who want the best for you.
Do not try to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued, and be very careful about rescuing someone who does.
Nothing well done is insignificant.
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.
Dress like the person you want to be.
Be precise in your speech.
Stand up straight with your shoulders back.
Don't avoid something frightening if it stands in your way -- and don't do unnecessarily dangerous things.
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.
Do not transform your wife into a maid.
Do not hide unwanted things in the fog.
Notice that opportunity lurks where responsibility has been abdicated.
Read something written by someone great.
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.
Don't let bullies get away with it.
Write a letter to the government if you see something that needs fixing -- and propose a solution.
Remember that what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know.
Be grateful in spite of your suffering.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Weed makes me anxious and thinking there’s cops around every corner. Not really alone there either.

Weed is probably just another thing to make us lazy ******s and to keep 24 hour Caltex open.
Thats right, I remember having this conversation before .
Skip the joint and have two blowjobs instead.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
There's no point to nostalgising, especially about a past that you weren't a part of. I think the trouble is most young people are directionless, we don't know what we want really because we've been brought up being told that we can have anything we want. So you fall into a degree or career and you're unhappy because you wonder at how happy you could be if you had done x or y instead of z.

I think everyone gets pissed off at the world at some point. But you wake up and realise your life is your own and that these people who are bored and unsatisfied are by and large in that position due to choices they made, not because they were forced into it by anyone.

I'll leave you with Jordan Petersons list of 'valuable things to know in life' I've bolded the 4 that helped me the most.
-----

Tell the truth.
Do not do things that you hate.
Act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.
Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.
If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things.
Pay attention.
Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you need to know. Listen to them hard enough so that they will share it with you.
Plan and work diligently to maintain the romance in your relationships.
Be careful who you share good news with.
Be careful who you share bad news with.
Make at least one thing better every single place you go.
Imagine who you could be, and then aim single-mindedly at that.
Do not allow yourself to become arrogant or resentful
Try to make one room in your house as beautiful as possible.
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.
Work as hard as you possibly can on at least one thing and see what happens.
If old memories still make you cry, write them down carefully and completely.
Maintain your connections with people.
Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or artistic achievement.
Treat yourself as if you were someone that you are responsible for helping.
Ask someone to do you a small favour, so that he or she can ask you to do one in the future.
Make friends with people who want the best for you.
Do not try to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued, and be very careful about rescuing someone who does.
Nothing well done is insignificant.
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.
Dress like the person you want to be.
Be precise in your speech.
Stand up straight with your shoulders back.
Don't avoid something frightening if it stands in your way -- and don't do unnecessarily dangerous things.
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.
Do not transform your wife into a maid.
Do not hide unwanted things in the fog.
Notice that opportunity lurks where responsibility has been abdicated.
Read something written by someone great.
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.
Don't let bullies get away with it.
Write a letter to the government if you see something that needs fixing -- and propose a solution.
Remember that what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know.
Be grateful in spite of your suffering.
I like this list.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We're ****** over by the world, by money, we would do anything for cash, and we would do anything to keep our job, and yet we're all a second away from a redundancy and living on the streets. We all try and for what? To die at 78? We all work hard and slave away to what, buy a fridge? We get a job and pay $70 a week to get there?

It's ******.

To a point being in poverty is the natural state of affairs. We are quite literally born dependent and with nothing. The struggle to change that is because we have no other choice. It is try get ahead or the street.

What you are willing to do for cash is up to you and I agree with you about working for campaigners so can I suggest you look to find a way to work for yourself. If possible. or at least something that gives you autonomy.

Back