Katie Brennan appeal - Wins battle with AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not her, maybe the club needs to be a bit brighter and say 'Do you we really want to go down this path'? I mean Susan Alberti of all people would want to protect the integrity of the competition and keep it free from scandal in the name of sexual discrimination.

there's a lot of me me me in Alberti.

I’ll laugh if this results in the AFLW getting an increased wage...they certainly don’t deserve based on what I have seen . Less games, different finals and low scoring match.

But sure let’s give them a pay rise so they can now pay fines instead of copping suspension.

Easy solution just take away their licenses and let them do it on their own.

100% agree with this. The Bulldogs IMO are completely justified takings this further. The fines and suspensions should be the same as the mens game with the pay scale and the season length factored in to give the same net sanction.

It doesn't work, AFLW players only play a 7-8 week season and have other jobs where they can earn hundreds of thousands of dollars outside of the competition, meaning an $1100 fine in the scheme of their total income is negligible......AFL players don't have that "luxury."

Last edited:
Seems to me tactic is to get a stay of proceedings (legal people can decide if that’s correct terminology) so that the player can play. Irrelevant then whether player gets suspended as it will be served at another time after the hearing.

I think this goes beyond sexual discrimination, basically this shows the weakness in the AFL and its now overly complicated rules. Brennan's tackle was similar to the Dangerfield tackle in the sense that he had locked in the Carlton player's arms and forced him to ground.

It doesn't matter what rules you implement - the game is inherently flawed anyway. Introduce as many rules as you like, but the eye test doesn't lie, and when you have two blokes bending down to pick up the ball, there is a massive grey area where players are now just guessing. This is because you cannot dive on the football, so you remain upright, but you can't bump (even though that is your instinctual reaction), so you just guess and hope - you basically have to let the first into the contest pick up the ball. This is where our game is at, and with concussion increasing and rules introduced to protect the head, it basically makes the game unplayable. They rules over complicate the game and make it unplayable.

Could have sworn I watched two teams play last night without anyone being reported.

Who knew it was all a dream.

I liked the bit where Conca had to pull out of a contest and let Murphy pick up the ball, and then everyone went in on Conca - who didn't do anything wrong bar play an unplayable game of AFL.

It doesn't work, AFLW players only play a 7-8 week season and have other jobs where they can earn hundreds of thousands of dollars outside of the competition, meaning an $1100 fine in the scheme of their total income is negligible......AFL players don't have that "luxury."
The season extends for longer than that with pre season camps etc. Many if not all of them would then play in local leagues/ state leagues for 2/10's of nothing. AFL players also have avenues outside of their player payments, however they are irrelevant - the fines should match what the players are payed for playing.

The season extends for longer than that with pre season camps etc. Many if not all of them would then play in local leagues/ state leagues for 2/10's of nothing. AFL players also have avenues outside of their player payments, however they are irrelevant - the fines should match what the players are payed for playing.

Have you adjusted the escalation and severity of the fines for the reduced number of games and on-field playing time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two citations in an 8 game season (including finals) would be equivalent to about 6 in the men's game (not including pre-season games where players are also able to be suspended). That is simply poor discipline.

She hasn't been punished for the tackle, but for doing it too often. It may seem harsh as it is 'only' her second offense, but that's in 7 games.

Also, looking at a potential punishment (missing the GF) and then working back to see if the player should be cited is completely wrong-headed.

I’ll laugh if this results in the AFLW getting an increased wage...they certainly don’t deserve based on what I have seen . Less games, different finals and low scoring match.

But sure let’s give them a pay rise so they can now pay fines instead of copping suspension.

Easy solution just take away their licenses and let them do it on their own.

AFL would be better off going in the other direction. Make it amateur so there can never be a question of fines. Only suspensions.

Afterall, the game loses a s**t ton of money.

Then they can put the money back in to regional and suburban footy leagues and help keep the grassroots of the AFL comp strong.

Have you adjusted the escalation and severity of the fines for the reduced number of games and on-field playing time?

It would be an irrelevant but interesting undertaking to determine a $$$/hour figure based off salary cap and determine the equivalent fines based on that.

what a joke and embarrassment for the bulldogs some at the club needs to grow some balls
Isn't that what they are doing by challenging the system?

Some technique being employed by both sides on this now.

Quality high ground maneuver:
"To be clear, Katie is not seeking to play tomorrow. She wants her suspension overturned in time in the interests of justice..."

And this headline/link title from the AFL website:
Screen Shot 03-23-18 at 01.50 PM.PNG

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan says it is “unfair” to label the league sexist in the wake of the controversial two-game suspension handed to Western Bulldogs AFLW captain Katie Brennan.

Brennan will miss the AFLW grand final on Saturday after deciding against taking the matter to the Federal Court, but the star forward has filed proceedings with the Australian Human Rights Commission in a bid to overturn her ban for the 2019 season and also amend the differences between AFL and AFLW regulations.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ghts-commission-over-ban-20180323-p4z5u3.html

What do you think? Seems excessive IMO and she's just doing it for the attention now. Feel for her teammates.

Kick her out of the league.

latest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back