Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance of Cripps hitting a target by foot, going forward, when the ball goes further forward than it goes high? His team mates aren't very good, but didn't help them much on more than a few occasions last night.

Staggered by the hate Bontempelli cops. I reckon there are a few people in here rating him 4th (which is just laughable), because they don't like the guy. I have a few mates that can't stand him but can't give valid reasons why. Dude is a fantastic footballer,genuine leader, and ripper bloke too. Nothing about him is unlikeable.

If we are seriously going to rank them, I honestly believe it currently sits at...

1. Bont. Second rising star in his first year off less games. Hasn't looked back since. AA, Best and Fairest, premiership player, youngest guy to captain a winning side. Is ahead by a long way.
2. Josh Kelly. Pure class. As smooth as you get.
3. Cripps. Pure beast. Leads by example and i'm sure inspires his teammates.
4. Merrett. Classy, but I do want to perhaps see a few more ingredients from the other 3 added to his bow before he can crack the top 3.

In saying all this, these 4 are in their own little rung far above everyone else their age. Trying to rank them felt silly honestly, but I thought it was more black and white about who should be where than it appears to be going on this discussion.

People dislike him because of tall poppy syndrome mate.

Any chance of Cripps hitting a target by foot, going forward, when the ball goes further forward than it goes high? His team mates aren't very good, but didn't help them much on more than a few occasions last night.

That's the knock on him. His kicking is poor by comparison. Lacks penetration and accuracy.

Staggered by the hate Bontempelli cops. I reckon there are a few people in here rating him 4th (which is just laughable), because they don't like the guy. I have a few mates that can't stand him but can't give valid reasons why. Dude is a fantastic footballer,genuine leader, and ripper bloke too. Nothing about him is unlikeable.

If we are seriously going to rank them, I honestly believe it currently sits at...

1. Bont. Second rising star in his first year off less games. Hasn't looked back since. AA, Best and Fairest, premiership player, youngest guy to captain a winning side. Is ahead by a long way.
4. Merrett. Classy, but I do want to perhaps see a few more ingredients from the other 3 added to his bow before he can crack the top 3.

In saying all this, these 4 are in their own little rung far above everyone else their age. Trying to rank them felt silly honestly, but I thought it was more black and white about who should be where than it appears to be going on this discussion.
Bad case of tall poppy syndrome

I'd take billings before Merrett. Merretts great but not for me.
One is a bloke who averages 30 possessions a game for 2 years and is a starting AA midfielder. The other is a bloke who's had 30 possessions 5 times in his career, and only one of them was against a top 8 side.

I'm biased but that is how I rank them as well.

I think it's such a great debate because of the different metrics people are using.

Even in the last 2 pages, people are evaluating on:

1) Who will be the best in the future/career?
2) Who has had best career to date?
3) Who is the best now?
4) Who had the best 2017?
5) Who will be best this year?

Since we keep moving the goalposts, it's hard to really determine it.

For me:

1) Who will be the best in the future/career? I'd probably say Kelly/Cripps/Bont/Merrett
2) Who has had best career to date? Kelly=Bont/Merrett=Cripps
3) Who is the best now? Kelly/Cripps/Merrett/Bont
4) Who had the best 2017? Kelly/Merrett/Bont/Cripps (injured)
5) Who will be best this year? Kelly (brownlow tip)...raffle the others

I think like any young player its the media beatup about players. He can do a normal kick and Bruce or whoever go on about him like he is the best player ever. Rioli is a perfect example and he has haters.

Im already beginning to cringe when Charlie Curnow does something and they go over the top. Last night he took a simple grab and richo went on a 30sec spiel on how he will be next big thing based on one easy mark.

One is a bloke who averages 30 possessions a game for 2 years and is a starting AA midfielder. The other is a bloke who's had 30 possessions 5 times in his career, and only one of them was against a top 8 side.

When you put it like that...

I don’t dislike the Bont at all.

Not that I’d expect you to, but you could check my posting history and you’d see I love watching play - one of my favourite opposition players.

Some others I love watching are Martin, Oliver, Ben Brown, Ryder etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take billings before Merrett. Merretts great but not for me.

Both are overrated. Billings plays below himself too often, and Merrett just isn't very damaging. Definite areas to improve for both of them. Not even near the level of Kelly. I think Kelly is out in front in this race, and Bontempelli has some points in the bank, I'd have him second.

When you put it like that...
Merrett had 12 games where he posted 30+ last year. More than double than that of Billings' career.
Both are overrated. Billings plays below himself too often, and Merrett just isn't very damaging. Definite areas to improve for both of them. Not even near the level of Kelly. I think Kelly is out in front in this race, and Bontempelli has some points in the bank, I'd have him second.
Merrett not very damaging? Christ, if he's not a damaging midfielder the only damaging mids in the league would be Danger, Fyfe, Martin and Ablett. How on earth did this myth perpetuate?

All great players and will have outstanding careers.

I see Cripps as our Luke Hodge. Tough as nails and uncopromising, despite the boyish smile.
everyone try not to put everyone on pedestals and leave them with a dry dock of personality

they are all perfect and neither a sensation of the smaller proportion..

I miss the Luke hodge and his ilk but I know he is not coming back..

it is important that we all deal with that we have now.

Let's be serious. BILLINGS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE ON ANY METRIC. He may in time, but he'll need a bloody good year just to be allowed into the conversation, let alone ahead of Merrett lol. Such a silly statement, even St Kilda supporters would surely agree.

Let's be serious. BILLINGS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE ON ANY METRIC. He may in time, but he'll need a bloody good year just to be allowed into the conversation, let alone ahead of Merrett lol. Such a silly statement, even St Kilda supporters would surely agree.

He is no where near Merrett IMO. I think Merrett rightfully belongs in the conversation with Cripps, Kelly and Bontempelli - whereas Billings doesn't. Merrett's 2016 year had him perhaps ahead of all bar Bontempelli. I think Kelly bridged the gap and passed them all last year though. Merrett still had a good 2017 and has now strung together two very good years of football. Billings is yet to string together one very good year of football.

Yeah. I'm aware of their stats. what's your point though?

Based on what I'd want for the next 7-10 years.
Right, who would want a very damaging midfielder who gets 30 touches a game when you can have an inconsistent half forward who's kicking for goal leaves much to be desired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back