Is the age of the ‘big bodied mid’ over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps did well tonight, selflessly did his job to provide the footy and let other blokes take the game away from the other side. I’d be more worried about the age of the 7 foot ruckman ending. Certain one looked like a busted a-hole last night

Cripps did well tonight, selflessly did his job to provide the footy and let other blokes take the game away from the other side. I’d be more worried about the age of the 7 foot ruckman ending. Certain one looked like a busted a-hole last night
I thought Cripps was huge.

I thought Cripps was huge.
Personally thought he was fantastic as well, was always in the right place at the right time when we got going and was vital in plenty of chains that led to goals. People focus too much on Champion Data points when it suits their narrative

Ok but not sure the Pies, Tigers, Cats or Demons have any massive beast midfielders and they all just won flags.
Can't tell if trolling but... off the top of my head,

Crisp, De Goey
Dangerfield, Guthrie
Petracca, Oliver
Martin

Are all well over 6ft and big bodied. Yes there are small body mids that dominate but I feel like every team needs a real big pack busting mid to take it to the next level.

There is a reason Geelong brought in Danger, Brisbane brought in Dunkley and want Rayner to step up, Sydney putting Heeney in the guts on Thurs, even Essendon brought in Setterfield and he made their midfield automatically look better.

I think the other thing is that even "small" mids like Rozee and Daicos are 6ft tall these days.

Well obviously there's not gonna be entire midfields of them, you need a good balance. Having one big mid to give the opposition a headache is handy though.

Almost KPP sized big mids like Cripps and Bont are not exactly the norm though. You can have 'big bodied' mids, in my opinion, anywhere in the late 180s to early 190s cm size, depends on body composition etc. Been those types for yonks.

You haven’t won a final since forever.

To declare that small mids are enough because Essendon have some is weird.
You have to have a rock solid back 6 or 7 before you can even think about getting to finals.

It starts with that fact before mids

We haven’t had a solid backline for many years.

You have to have a rock solid back 6 or 7 before you can even think about getting to finals.

It starts with that fact before mids

We haven’t had a solid backline for many years.
Essendon’s problems have been all over the ground, not just the back line.

There’s still only 10cm between Cripps and Rozee. Would like to see a true 200cm 110kg beast play full time mid.

Cripps again “the man” last night when the team needed him the most.
When the heat rises in September, the physical size and presence of these guys usually always comes to the fore.
It ain’t no fluke that the dons lightweight midfielders have been swept aside in September for 20 years …

Cripps again “the man” last night when the team needed him the most.
When the heat rises in September, the physical size and presence of these guys usually always comes to the fore.
It ain’t no fluke that the dons lightweight midfielders have been swept aside in September for 20 years …
Yes …Carlton fans on a super high adrenaline rush after a 1 point win just love bashing Essendon right after and forgetting their also dismal last 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Cripps is a big friggin unit of a man.

He used to be a boy. Now he’s a massive bulldozer that no one can rake down.

Always gives off the pill.
As I understand it, Cripps was 'normal sized' for most of his junior years so learned proper positioning and to compete against players his own size.
A late growth spurt (17/18 yo) meant he doesn't only rely on size as he genuinely has inside mid craft in the way 'regular' sized inside mids too. It's a hard combination to stop given he's 195cm now.

As I understand it, Cripps was 'normal sized' for most of his junior years so learned proper positioning and to compete against players his own size.
A late growth spurt (17/18 yo) meant he doesn't only rely on size as he genuinely has inside mid craft in the way 'regular' sized inside mids too. It's a hard combination to stop given he's 195cm now.
I believe he was even playing as a small forward in his under 16 year.

There’s still only 10cm between Cripps and Rozee. Would like to see a true 200cm 110kg beast play full time mid.
There's only 6 inches between me and John Holmes. I'm nowhere near pr0n star status though.

Big bodied mids are important but the game is trending away from the slow juggernauts, especially after the 6/6/6 rule. Teams that can break away from stoppage cleanly can pile on goals quickly.

I think most teams can carry one plodder in the middle. Two maybe if they are extremely good at what they do/are skillful on the outside.

Footy is all about transition now and speed kills. Slow mids get absolutely torched on the outside when they need to get on the defensive.

Nash (198cm) is probably the closest to an athletic KPP sized pure midfielder. He would be an absolute monster if he grew up with the game.

Jackson from Freo plays like a true ruck rover at times.

Tom Green says hi

Geez I hope not.

My mob twouldnt go near them for years........but that changed and its all they draft these days.

And talls.
Same.

Day 193cm+
Nash 197cm
Hustwaite 195cm

Nah. Despite the straight sets exits Melbourne beat the s**t out of both Collingwood and Carlton's midfields in the finals. Oliver, Petracca are still the best 1-2 punch. With an top 8 forward line, they would walk the flag again, if they could stay off the meth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back