Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's so "good" about it?

I assume you watched the game. Both players had outstanding influence in very different ways because they are very different players with very different roles.

Martin is essentially an outside mid with the happy ability to destroy just about anyone in footy when isolated one on one in space. Which is why Richmond goes to a lot of effort to set him up one on one in the 30-60 from goal zone.

Cripps is an in and under beast who wins most of his ball in heavy traffic, or under pressure coming out of defence.

Contested possessions come in different shapes and sizes; and the difference in the two player's stats is exactly what a thoughtful observer would expect.

Plenty of ordinary players have good score involvements - stil don't understand why its referred to as some sort of definitive measure.

Lots of people having reasonable discussion, many of which seem to think that Bont is fourth of four.

Don't attempt to be condescending to people far better equipped than you - just because I've obviously wounded and scarred you at some stage.

Swallow your considerable ego and take off the rose tinted glasses mate - Bont is at worst top 2 on what he has shown so far.

Swallow your considerable ego and take off the rose tinted glasses mate - Bont is at worst top 2 on what he has shown so far.

Right. I’m suggesting three players from three different teams are currently performing better, but rose tinted...

Didn’t think that through, did you?

Anyone with a clue would have Merrett 4th mate. That is no slight on him as he is a gun but the other 3 are incredibly good for their age.

No, they wouldn’t.

Merrett is at worst 2nd on that list to Kelly.

Suspect Cripps will challenge that soon enough.

Bontempelli is not performing commensurate to his reputation, and should rightfully be considered fourth of this group.

1. Kelly
2. Cripps
3. Merrett
4. Bont

Kelly- Absolute gun. Genuine chance for the brownlow this year
Cripps - Beast inside. Already one of the beast inside mids in the comp
Merrett - Terrific skills. One of the best outside mids in the comp
Bont - Down on form, but still good. He's like that kid in u13s who hit puberty early and was bigger and better then everyone else. Then all the other kids matured and he wasn't the best anymore.

Bontempelli is not performing commensurate to his reputation, and should rightfully be considered fourth of this group.

Let’s look at this below par 2017 from Bont that has statements like yours popping up.

If a player can make the AA squad, poll the second most Brownlow votes of the four in question (polled two less than Kelly and four more than Merrett to finish 8th in the count) while also winning his club’s best and fairest and not be “performing commensurate to his reputation” you’ve got to wonder how much the higher standard he’s held to is clouding your judgement

Did you know Cripps is the size of a key forward? Becoming the new Ling played full forward as a junior.

Cripps has always been, and still is, my favourite out of this bunch.

Our new on baller Jarrod Berry is 192 cm - same height as Fevola and Brown. Our forward is 203 cm. Times are changing

Crouch should definitely be in this group. He's just as good as Merrett.

Plenty of players as good or better than Merrett- he's the Ringo of this four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of today. Cripps is the best...hes the only one who has played a game.

Cripps is a very good player when he gets on the park. Merrett meh seems pretty good without being that exciting - still not sure why Merrett is in this thread.

Kelly is a silk jet.

Bont has Kelly's silk and Cripps' size

Pretty happy with Bont.
Merrett "meh". Funny how that always seems to be the consensus until footy actually starts being played.

Only two of these four made AA last year. One of them was Merrett. So yeah, he's "pretty good". As for exciting, well, I guess that's a subjective thing and you're welcome to your opinion, but Merrett is an out and out gun and as exciting as any of 'em

Merrett "meh". Funny how that always seems to be the consensus until footy actually starts being played.

Only two of these four made AA last year. One of them was Merrett. So yeah, he's "pretty good". As for exciting, well, I guess that's a subjective thing and you're welcome to your opinion, but Merrett is an out and out gun and as exciting as any of 'em

All good m8, the meh is in comparison to three out and out guns - nothing to be worried about. Just never been that excited watching Merrett whereas the other three are just excitement machines.

Subjective as you say, Merrett will no doubt be a very good Essendon player. But in comparison to the other three, as someone has said, he is the 'Ringo' of the four.

Reckon Cripps could very easily be the best of these four... for mine he’s fourth on the list at the moment. The other three are legitimate stars, all of them are All Australians already. Cripps could of course join them as soon as this year, but we’re one game in.

Think that is a bit of bias going on there. Cripps easily ahead of Merrett. Merrett is a gun but Cripps is going to be a star of the comp.

He was so good last night and the fact Carlton can pair him with Curnow is going to be fun times for blues supporters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think that is a bit of bias going on there. Cripps easily ahead of Merrett. Merrett is a gun but Cripps is going to be a star of the comp.

He was so good last night and the fact Carlton can pair him with Curnow is going to be fun times for blues supporters.

Merrett is quite literally a reigning AA rep.

Geez he’s underrated - not that I care so much, as Lance said, people can think what they want - he’ll just keep racking up BOGs.

Lol

Merrett is a reigning All Australian. He’s a legitimate star of the competition whether you like it or not.

There’s five starting midfield positions in the AA team and Merrett was one of them alongside Martin, Dangerfield, Kelly and Mitchell.

Cripps is in no objective way whatsoever ahead of Merrett or the other two. He has the tools to be and could very quickly join them - I think he will - but please, saying that at this stage based on last nights game is ridiculous.

Merrett is quite literally a reigning AA rep.

Geez he’s underrated - not that I care so much, as Lance said, people can think what they want - he’ll just keep racking up BOGs.
Lol

Merrett is a reigning All Australian. He’s a legitimate star of the competition whether you like it or not.

There’s five starting midfield positions in the AA team and Merrett was one of them alongside Martin, Dangerfield, Kelly and Mitchell.

Cripps is in no objective way whatsoever ahead of Merrett or the other two. He has the tools to be and could very quickly join them - I think he will - but please, saying that at this stage based on last nights game is ridiculous.

Guys no one is saying Merrett is a bad player, just that he isn't really in the same bracket as the other three.

And AA 2018 ain't the end all and be all, otherwise we'd be all bowing down to Matty Crouch.

Last year, Cripps was injured and played in a rubbish team. While Bont had to learn a new position up forward (but still made the AA squad and won the B and F) and also played in a non finals team.

But hey, looking forward to see if Merrett can take the game by the scruff of the neck tonight against decent opposition like the others regularly do.

Staggered by the hate Bontempelli cops. I reckon there are a few people in here rating him 4th (which is just laughable), because they don't like the guy. I have a few mates that can't stand him but can't give valid reasons why. Dude is a fantastic footballer,genuine leader, and ripper bloke too. Nothing about him is unlikeable.

If we are seriously going to rank them, I honestly believe it currently sits at...

1. Bont. Second rising star in his first year off less games. Hasn't looked back since. AA, Best and Fairest, premiership player, youngest guy to captain a winning side. Is ahead by a long way.
2. Josh Kelly. Pure class. As smooth as you get.
3. Cripps. Pure beast. Leads by example and i'm sure inspires his teammates.
4. Merrett. Classy, but I do want to perhaps see a few more ingredients from the other 3 added to his bow before he can crack the top 3.

In saying all this, these 4 are in their own little rung far above everyone else their age. Trying to rank them felt silly honestly, but I thought it was more black and white about who should be where than it appears to be going on this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back