Unofficial Preview Game 1 Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't wast your money. Port will open Freo up half way through the third and win by 52 points.

Well that won't have been a waste of money then, will it?

Wingard 30 possessions and Westhoff 3 goals
46/1

Pretty good.
Can't see that happening with regards to Westhoff. Only kicked 2 goals twice last year (and no more than 2) and went goalless ten times - eight of those being completely scoreless.

With Watts and Marshall in the side he will have less reason to be i50, and will play almost all game time on the wing or loose in defence.

Side is pretty much as expected with no surprises. Not as sure about the placements though. I think Dougal has earned a start and is our tallest option down back. Rockliff obviously being eased into action after missing all the practice games and will play as a small forward in place of Robbie Gray.

I'll be happy with any sort of win, I expect Freo to hang around for the most part it's round 1 teams come in pumped

Very true. Last night was a great example. No chance of that sort of effort and intensity from Carlton once we hit the middle and back end of the season.

We are a better team than Freo but we aren't that much better that we can be talking about 100 point wins. We need to hit the ground running and put scoreboard pressure on early, the rest should take care of itself.

Very true. Last night was a great example. No chance of that sort of effort and intensity from Carlton once we hit the middle and back end of the season.

We are a better team than Freo but we aren't that much better that we can be talking about 100 point wins. We need to hit the ground running and put scoreboard pressure on early, the rest should take care of itself.

Agreed. 100 point wins seems to be very much getting ahead of ourselves.

I doubt they will be able to curb our attack, but they will be able to score from stoppages so I'm thinking a Freo 70 Port 105 score sounds about right and would be a pretty solid all round result for us.

Great to see our three major recruits all suiting up, now we see how much these guys will add to the team.

But I think it is Dom Barry I will really be watching out for. Such a great story and I hope he has a brilliant game.

Can't see that happening with regards to Westhoff. Only kicked 2 goals twice last year (and no more than 2) and went goalless ten times - eight of those being completely scoreless.

With Watts and Marshall in the side he will have less reason to be i50, and will play almost all game time on the wing or loose in defence.
True, but for 46/1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that won't have been a waste of money then, will it?

Good Call...

I would be happy to give 50 for Ports to win...
I would be even Happier for Ports to lose... bittersweet nonetheless.

Freo will start well and we will be playing catch up for the rest of the game leaving it till the last 10 mins to get a ahead for the first in the game to only lose by 5. and the melts begin.....:D

DANGER GAME PEEPS........

I know it's a lot more difficult to think this way when it's your own team, but yesterday once Richmond had scored 2 goals and there was still a good time left in the first quarter I thought to myself well that's it for Carlton. Their good kicking, Richmond's poor kicking and the loose bolts on the umpire's necks kept them in the game and in fact leading up to 3/4 time but I felt the result was never in doubt after fifteen minutes. We may start off poorly but so long as we are within touch or even ahead at 1/4 time I will be confident of a win.

Mate, Freo can win simply by beating our midfield, the rest would take care of itself and to be perfectly honest our midfield is still very much hit and miss for games and for periods of games.

They have a very good midfield. If Fyfe, Sandi and co get a sniff and get on a roll the rest of their side will grow and play accordingly.

We should win, and win well I hope but it's really over stating how good we are suggesting they have no hope at all.

I'll say it again - this is the same side that we beat by 89 points last year, with Fyfe and Sandilands playing. Sandilands dominated the ruck and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Fyfe had 30 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 4 clearances and kicked 1.2 - and they got smashed.

Neale had 34 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 11 clearances and kicked 1 goal - and they got smashed.

Sandilands had 36 hitouts, 4 clearances and kicked 1 goal - and they got smashed.

Stephen Hill had 24 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 5 clearances - and he's not even playing.

That's 24 of the 38 clearances they recorded.

How much better do you think these guys can play? I don't care how good their midfield is, the rest of their side is incredibly poor. They need to clone Fyfe and Neale about three times.

In comparison, we had Powell-Pepper (8 clearances, 15 contested), Ebert (6 clearances, 14 contested), Wines (6 clearances, 19 contested) - 20 of our 37 clearances. And we've added Rockliff to the mix.

From last time (italics denote best 22 player):

Fremantle

IN: Wilson, Ryan, Ballantyne, Taberner, Brayshaw (rookie), Matera, Banfield (rookie), A. Pearce

OUT: S. Hill (inj), Weller (trade), Spurr (inj), Ibbotson (ret), Hamling (cond.), Dawson, Griffin (ret), Suban

Port Adelaide

IN: Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Bonner, Marshall, Barry, Howard, Hartlett

OUT: Impey (trade), Young (trade), Trengove (trade), Broadbent (inj), Amon, Eddy (del), Hombsch, R. Gray (susp)

Talking to a Melbourne Dees fan today. Who bought Dom Barrys Dees jumper on an online auction.But that's all in the past now.Hope he has a great game.
Freo in the 2nd year of a big rebuild and will have memory's of round 1 last year.They have a history of performing better when they are given little chance like this week.And falling flat on there face when look a chance of winning matches.Think they will be competitive for 2 and a half qtrs.Then will load there back line to stop major damage.

I'll say it again - this is the same side that we beat by 89 points last year, with Fyfe and Sandilands playing. Sandilands dominated the ruck and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Fyfe had 30 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 4 clearances and kicked 1.2 - and they got smashed.

Neale had 34 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 11 clearances and kicked 1 goal - and they got smashed.

Sandilands had 36 hitouts, 4 clearances and kicked 1 goal - and they got smashed.

Stephen Hill had 24 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 5 clearances - and he's not even playing.

That's 24 of the 38 clearances they recorded.

How much better do you think these guys can play? I don't care how good their midfield is, the rest of their side is incredibly poor. They need to clone Fyfe and Neale about three times.

In comparison, we had Powell-Pepper (8 clearances, 15 contested), Ebert (6 clearances, 14 contested), Wines (6 clearances, 19 contested) - 20 of our 37 clearances. And we've added Rockliff to the mix.

From last time (italics denote best 22 player):

Fremantle

IN: Wilson, Ryan, Ballantyne, Taberner, Brayshaw (rookie), Matera, Banfield (rookie), A. Pearce

OUT: S. Hill (inj), Weller (trade), Spurr (inj), Ibbotson (ret), Hamling (cond.), Dawson, Griffin (ret), Suban

Port Adelaide

IN: Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Bonner, Marshall, Barry, Howard, Hartlett

OUT: Impey (trade), Young (trade), Trengove (trade), Broadbent (inj), Amon, Eddy (del), Hombsch, R. Gray (susp)
Don't forget R Gray kicked 6 goals in that game from memory, he wont be there.

I’m sure between Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Barry and Marshall they’d muster 6 goals.

NB: Impey, Eddy and Young added another 4 goals in that game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would think so, will be interesting to see how our forward line functions, we have all been calling for more height for a a few years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back