Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Spp deserves 2 or 3 imo
But where is the line in
Unofficial scratch match trial

And this is training cant get suspended

I personally wouldn’t start Charlie, I think his best for us would be pinch hitting in the ruck off the bench.
We've just traded in two experienced rucks. Picking Dixon in the side so he can pinch hit in ruck off the bench would be peak Hinkley. His best for us would be if he wasn't in the side at all.

Overall the game was ok once we lifted our intensity around the ball. I'm still very frustrated with our ball movement into the forward line. Our forwards all congregate in the middle about 20 metres forward of goal & the ball is then bombed there. Why don't our forwards spread out across the 50m arc & stretch the opposition defense. Some dummy forward runs to create confusion & offer an alternative option. I just don't get our forward strategy.
That's because, according to Charlie Dixon, you are unintelligent.

With any incident involving a Port player, to get my honest opinion on it I think of if teams were reversed would I be screaming for weeks?

And I absolutely would be screaming for weeks.
Looking at it tonite (and yes, I know slomo makes it look worse) but I think this deserves 3-4 weeks.
Wasn't trying to move his arms in an attempt to grab the ball out of the bloke's hands, or to get out of the way. So no chance of proving he wa wasn't trying to bump.
Sam and the club will have to learn the hard way.

Our tall forwards hardly lead, not because they can’t, but cause of Hinkleys gameplan. It’s to cause congestion, therefore possible ball up. This is when we apply the press. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
A new coach will remedy this ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We've just traded in two experienced rucks. Picking Dixon in the side so he can pinch hit in ruck off the bench would be peak Hinkley. His best for us would be if he wasn't in the side at all.
Most probably should have retired last year but can’t see him holding down a forward position this year.
His best games last year was doing some ruck work, that’s the only way I can see him getting a game unless we have forward injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not good enough to get 15. too slow and fumbly In a real game.
He’s a good sanfl player that’s his ceiling
Na, his ceiling is higher than that. His issue is he plays scared and lacks a deep belief in himself at the top level. He's also constantly played at AFL level in positions unsuited to him that he hasn't even practised in. He gets it together and he could absolutely be an AFL level player. Problem is he's very deep on the depth chart. I can't imagine he's getting much game time this year.

He didn’t protect himself. Had the opportunity to square up to the contest, watch the tackle and react. Alternatively he could have joined in the tackle attempt. Instead he led with his shoulder and knocked the guy out. If he is lucky he will get 2 - if they want to make an example he gets 3-4. A lot will depend on whether Keane has a broken jaw. That would mean 4 plus

Keane has a very sore, broken vagina.

G Cornes optimistic:

Port’s dismal exit from the 2023 has impacted on the club. Their notoriously impatient members who sometimes occupy an alternative universe, demand change and they demand success, as if it’s a commodity that can be dialled up and delivered by MenuLog.

If Friday night is an indication, that improvement may be imminent. Port’s football department has been working overtime during the summer break. For a team that had serious deficiencies in three of the four key areas, Port did remarkably well to finish in the top four in 2023. But it all came crashing down in September. Your weaknesses will be fearfully exposed in September.

With injury to, and inconsistent form of Scott Lycett they struggled in the ruck. In defence, they were lacking one tall defender.
And in the forward line, injuries to Charlie Dixon, Mitch Georgiades and Todd Marshall constantly disrupted their forward line structure.
Too much was left to Jeremy Finlayson who tired towards the end of the year.

But there is much to like about the form of the newcomer Ivan Soldo who relished his opportunity to play in the ruck on Friday night.
Soldo won’t be complaining about trial games because his form looks certain to give him another AFL opportunity.

But there is also Jordon Sweet, who wasn’t going to play second fiddle to Soldo. Both ruckmen competed strongly against Riley O’Brien but Soldo perhaps has greater flexibility to go forward. In defence in 2023, Port always appeared to be too small.
They were lacking a third tall intercept marking defender. But they have managed to pry Esava Ratugolea away from Geelong.
He was quietish on night Friday – almost as if the confines of Alberton Oval were strange to him and beneath his talents, but he has impressed all since arriving at the club and is one player who can make Port a better team. Brandon Zirk-Thatcher was the big surprise. He stood Taylor Walker on Friday night and more than held his own.

Expectations weren’t particularly high when he walked into Alberton for the pre-season but he has made the coaching staff notice him for the right reasons and it will be hard to leave him out in the opening round. Friday night didn’t solve Port’s forward line issues. In 2023 it was a constant work-in-progress, and Charlie Dixon who at his best is their key forward, is not completely free of injury. He rarely gets an easy kick and restricted as he sometimes is, finds difficulty to get separation from his opposing defender.

Mitch Georgiades is back but will need more time.
The most impressive performance from a Port forward came from young Tom Scully in the fifth and sixth periods. But he’s unlikely to unseat Dixon, Marshall or Lord. Still, with the improvement in defence and the ruck and their truly elite midfield, Port should again be a contender.

G Cornes optimistic:

Port’s dismal exit from the 2023 has impacted on the club. Their notoriously impatient members who sometimes occupy an alternative universe, demand change and they demand success, as if it’s a commodity that can be dialled up and delivered by MenuLog.

If Friday night is an indication, that improvement may be imminent. Port’s football department has been working overtime during the summer break. For a team that had serious deficiencies in three of the four key areas, Port did remarkably well to finish in the top four in 2023. But it all came crashing down in September. Your weaknesses will be fearfully exposed in September.

With injury to, and inconsistent form of Scott Lycett they struggled in the ruck. In defence, they were lacking one tall defender.
And in the forward line, injuries to Charlie Dixon, Mitch Georgiades and Todd Marshall constantly disrupted their forward line structure.
Too much was left to Jeremy Finlayson who tired towards the end of the year.

But there is much to like about the form of the newcomer Ivan Soldo who relished his opportunity to play in the ruck on Friday night.
Soldo won’t be complaining about trial games because his form looks certain to give him another AFL opportunity.

But there is also Jordon Sweet, who wasn’t going to play second fiddle to Soldo. Both ruckmen competed strongly against Riley O’Brien but Soldo perhaps has greater flexibility to go forward. In defence in 2023, Port always appeared to be too small.
They were lacking a third tall intercept marking defender. But they have managed to pry Esava Ratugolea away from Geelong.
He was quietish on night Friday – almost as if the confines of Alberton Oval were strange to him and beneath his talents, but he has impressed all since arriving at the club and is one player who can make Port a better team. Brandon Zirk-Thatcher was the big surprise. He stood Taylor Walker on Friday night and more than held his own.

Expectations weren’t particularly high when he walked into Alberton for the pre-season but he has made the coaching staff notice him for the right reasons and it will be hard to leave him out in the opening round. Friday night didn’t solve Port’s forward line issues. In 2023 it was a constant work-in-progress, and Charlie Dixon who at his best is their key forward, is not completely free of injury. He rarely gets an easy kick and restricted as he sometimes is, finds difficulty to get separation from his opposing defender.

Mitch Georgiades is back but will need more time.
The most impressive performance from a Port forward came from young Tom Scully in the fifth and sixth periods. But he’s unlikely to unseat Dixon, Marshall or Lord. Still, with the improvement in defence and the ruck and their truly elite midfield, Port should again be a contender.

He just think we MUST be good as we best his darling Crows.

Our tall forwards hardly lead, not because they can’t, but cause of Hinkleys gameplan. It’s to cause congestion, therefore possible ball up. This is when we apply the press. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
A new coach will remedy this ;)

Jonas confirmed this in commentary on Friday night. He said if we can keep it in there we will ALWAYS score. Ummm, not true Jonas you w***er.

G Cornes optimistic:

G Cornes writes for the Sunday Mail FFS.

A duo that is as far from intelligence and relevance in the AFL in 2024 as you could possibly get.

BTW Was he actually at the game? Reads like he just cribbed his article from Chad's notes.
Mr Bean Lol GIF by britbox

Last edited:
G Cornes writes for the Sunday Mail FFS.

A duo that is as far from intelligence and relevance in the AFL in 2024 as you could possibly get.

BTW Was he actually at the game? Reads like he just cribbed his article from Chad's notes.
Mr Bean Lol GIF by britbox

...and his multi-generational prejudices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back