Review Port Adelaide vs Fremantle - Trial Match 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Walkers Flat on the grounds of Glanville Hall, worth a visit it's a beautiful old building.

Hard to pinpoint where the ground was there's a golf course & a John Hart reserve around the immediate area.

I'm a sucker for history I'd love to see a team photo taken at Glanville Hall.

I’ve no idea where that is. I thought we began life at Alberton & always been the Port Magpies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Not being a history buff at all, this is the only team photo I know of supposedly from 1870.

View attachment 1917982
JMOvrtR.jpg

I’ve no idea where that is. I thought we began life at Alberton & always been the Port Magpies.

It's in Semaphore and the photos online don't do it justice it's an impressive building well worth checking out, it's used for weddings & functions these days.

Burgoyne showed again that he shouldn’t be in the round 1 side.
How did no one else think his first half was diabolical?

It's one thing being able to get the ball, but 14 of 20 uncontested possies at 65% efficiency is dogshit. Duurs got torched for performances like that last season yet Jase got a pass and even praised? I know he's 20 so I'm probably being harsh on him but he shouldn't be in the round 1 team. I want T Mac and Farrell rotating on that wing preferably (don't know why t Mac hasn't been tested on the wing)

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game but from the comments on here it sounds like we have done nothing to address the forward line. As soon as Dixon comes back, we target him and then wonder why Lord and Marshall struggle, like it isn't all connected.

But then, surely, this time, THIS time doing the same thing over again will work, right?
This is only partially true.

Marshall was very rusty and played like someone who missed most of the preseason recovering from hip surgery.

Lord was largely ineffectual taking the 2nd or 3rd best KPD in the Fremantle side.

While Dixon was useless in the first 3 quarters, he was the most dangerous tall by far in the final quarter so no surprise he is going to get the ball kicked to him then.

Well in theory yeah but it hasn’t worked that way and we’ve had like half a decade to see it.

Not only does it not let other kfs get involved, it seems to hurt their game.

Every kf we’ve got has looked better and played a more natural game when Dixon has been out.

Our forward line has looked more diverse and gelled better when he’s been out.
I think there would be a solid case that Georgi has been a better forward with Dixon in the team though it is a bit hard to tell with his inconsistent kicking.

Its all very well to say oh dixon is bad for our forward line. Its also true that our two best shots at a premiership in 2020 and 2021 were when Dixon was fit and in form. That was no coincidence.

To an extent it is up to our other tall forwards to demand the ball whether Dixon is in the team or not. Its something Georgiades does do that Marshall and Finalyson aren't particularly good at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there would be a solid case that Georgi has been a better forward with Dixon in the team though it is a bit hard to tell with his inconsistent kicking.

Its all very well to say oh dixon is bad for our forward line. Its also true that our two best shots at a premiership in 2020 and 2021 were when Dixon was fit and in form. That was no coincidence.

To an extent it is up to our other tall forwards to demand the ball whether Dixon is in the team or not. Its something Georgiades does do that Marshall and Finalyson aren't particularly good at.
No matter who is in the team if dixon is there his immobile ass gets targeted twice as much as anyone else.

You could have peak carey out there and they'd still go for Dixon 2

Dixon wore Pearce down and dominated him in the second half. Pearce is a huge man too by the way, Dixon won't come up against guys like that every week. He's still going to have his way with plenty of undersized defenders this year, that I'm sure of.

Lots of newspaper cuttings, this one of a 1-goal loss in 1874 to Kensington always brings me a chuckle.

View attachment 1918006
"It was a matter of discussion whether heads are lawful weapons of offence...it was decided to let people make battering rams of them if they liked"

ROFLMFAO

It’s what made some of the arguments against the recent facility expansion and upgrades so ridiculous.

John Formby (former Mayor and Chairman) donated the land to the council for the express usage of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Breathless hysterics that it’s ‘yet more public land being given away to a sportsball team’ or demands that the council extract a pound for flesh thereafter, are null and void.

I thought our game plan very boring and disinteresting
Same. The only time we had any semblance of acceptable ball movement was in the 3rd when Darcy was rested . The rest was average and quite close. Bar Pep, we were full strength. Freo were missing a few. I'm not as effusive about our performance as some.

"It was a matter of discussion whether heads are lawful weapons of offence...it was decided to let people make battering rams of them if they liked"

ROFLMFAO
AFL tribunal decisions would be so much more palatable if they dropped the legalese, and took on a 19th century formaility.
Eg Maynard v Brayshaw 2023.

“It was a matter for discussion whether assaulting the defenceless Melbourne player after jumping like a gazelle is a lawful method of offence…. But in the absence of any mention of it in the rules it was decided to let players become flying battering rams if they liked. Ms Taylor Swift provided much entertainment for the youthful crowd.”

Game day entertainment needs more of Concordia Band.
Seems to be a template for many of the match reports of the day….

IMG_1884.jpeg

Here’s some more mirth to enjoy from 1875, some things don’t change in “Showdowns”…..

IMG_1885.jpeg

… and climate change hasn’t changed the weather down south, but the crowd was amused and the hospitality was impeccable….

IMG_1886.jpeg

Last edited:
Same. The only time we had any semblance of acceptable ball movement was in the 3rd when Darcy was rested . The rest was average and quite close. Bar Pep, we were full strength. Freo were missing a few. I'm not as effusive about our performance as some.
Interesting side note, somewhere it was mentioned that Ports were ranked #1 in scores from stoppages in 2023. Will have a look for it somewhere, if true I doubt it was forward stoppage efficiency, more sheer numbers of forward stoppages from Hinkleyball.

Edit: found it, we ranked 2nd from centre bounce clearance (13 pts per game), and 1st for forward half stoppages (21 pts per game)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back