Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

We didnt lose ... and we didnt win, it was a draw. (Not counting the last two quarters)

But we did play a shyte team, and at one stage were leading 7 goals to 3, and should have gone on to bury them! Instead, only to see them catch up and take the lead through some absolute abysmal defenses lapses.

There were some good takeaways, and we can certainly learn from the mistakes ... But I am "just calling a spade, a spade." Plus there were clear signs that Hinkley Ball is still alive & well.
Go back and read from about page 7, it wasn’t even close to a draw we got thrashed on the BF complain train.
And to think this was a trail game 😂
Line up for round 1.
5 goals up at qtr time and we’re total shyt, as sure as the sun rising in the morning.

If you couldn't see some familiar Hinkley crap up forward & in defense you are kidding yourself, the scoreboard in a trial is irrelevant. Aside from a nice moment or two from MG it was the same old ramshackle force a goal rubbish & down back I saw nothing to indicate Rachele or Rankine types won't continue to run circles around us kicking goal of the year noms in the real stuff.

Shambles mess all over the ground, that’s why we got thrashed.
We didn't get thrashed because we have enough raw talent to beat mediocre sides. That's why we can win enough games to make finals. You may be one of the "Hinkley doesn't have the cattle" apologists but if he was capable of organising the talent at his disposal into a coherent team we'd be a good chance to actually make a Grand Final.

Last edited:
G Cornes optimistic:

Port’s dismal exit from the 2023 has impacted on the club. Their notoriously impatient members who sometimes occupy an alternative universe, demand change and they demand success, as if it’s a commodity that can be dialled up and delivered by MenuLog.

If Friday night is an indication, that improvement may be imminent. Port’s football department has been working overtime during the summer break. For a team that had serious deficiencies in three of the four key areas, Port did remarkably well to finish in the top four in 2023. But it all came crashing down in September. Your weaknesses will be fearfully exposed in September.

With injury to, and inconsistent form of Scott Lycett they struggled in the ruck. In defence, they were lacking one tall defender.
And in the forward line, injuries to Charlie Dixon, Mitch Georgiades and Todd Marshall constantly disrupted their forward line structure.
Too much was left to Jeremy Finlayson who tired towards the end of the year.

But there is much to like about the form of the newcomer Ivan Soldo who relished his opportunity to play in the ruck on Friday night.
Soldo won’t be complaining about trial games because his form looks certain to give him another AFL opportunity.

But there is also Jordon Sweet, who wasn’t going to play second fiddle to Soldo. Both ruckmen competed strongly against Riley O’Brien but Soldo perhaps has greater flexibility to go forward. In defence in 2023, Port always appeared to be too small.
They were lacking a third tall intercept marking defender. But they have managed to pry Esava Ratugolea away from Geelong.
He was quietish on night Friday – almost as if the confines of Alberton Oval were strange to him and beneath his talents, but he has impressed all since arriving at the club and is one player who can make Port a better team. Brandon Zirk-Thatcher was the big surprise. He stood Taylor Walker on Friday night and more than held his own.

Expectations weren’t particularly high when he walked into Alberton for the pre-season but he has made the coaching staff notice him for the right reasons and it will be hard to leave him out in the opening round. Friday night didn’t solve Port’s forward line issues. In 2023 it was a constant work-in-progress, and Charlie Dixon who at his best is their key forward, is not completely free of injury. He rarely gets an easy kick and restricted as he sometimes is, finds difficulty to get separation from his opposing defender.

Mitch Georgiades is back but will need more time.
The most impressive performance from a Port forward came from young Tom Scully in the fifth and sixth periods. But he’s unlikely to unseat Dixon, Marshall or Lord. Still, with the improvement in defence and the ruck and their truly elite midfield, Port should again be a contender.

“almost as if the confines of Alberton Oval were strange to him and beneath his talents”

What a fuvking twat.

Our tall forwards hardly lead, not because they can’t, but cause of Hinkleys gameplan. It’s to cause congestion, therefore possible ball up. This is when we apply the press. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
A new coach will remedy this ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's a ridiculous game plan imo.

It was only a suggestion as he has shown that he is so mistake prone throughout his ALF career so far. I reckon you could count on at least two bobo’s a game that would cost the team goals. He has just not lived up to his pre draft form. Remembering that he was playing against grown men and excelling.
Yep, makes way too many mistakes from both skill errors & poor decision making. Hoping he can reduce these otherwise he's too much of a liability despite having some positive traits.

We didn't get thrashed because we have enough raw talent to beat mediocre sides. That's why we can win enough games to make finals. You may be one of the "Hinkley doesn't have the cattle" apologists but if he was capable of organising the talent at his disposal into a coherent team we'd be a good chance to actually make a Grand Final.
Ok so you’re saying we have had enough talent all over the ground including our defense to make a Grand Final.
The only thing that has stopped us getting there is Hinkley, absolutely no other reason full stop.
Simple yes or no will be adequate.

PORT ADELAIDE V ADELAIDE - MATCH SIM

TOP STATS
26 Laird
21 Butters, Rozee
19 JHF
18 Crouch
17 Houston, Mead
15 Dawson
11 Wines

19 Hitouts - Sweet
16 Hitouts - Soldo

CBAS
Port Adelaide
Wines 19, Butters 16, JHF 16, Meade 16, Rozee 15, Soldo 14, Sweet 12, Boak 4, Visentini 4, Evans 4

Adelaide 🟡
ROB 24, Laird 21, Dawson 14, Rankine 14, Crouch 13, Berry 9, Keays 7, Thilthorpe 5, Taylor 5, Pedlar 4, Rachele 2, Burgess 1, Edwards 1

CBA’s courtesy of: Code Sports
Stats courtesy of aflcentral

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back and read from about page 7, it wasn’t even close to a draw we got thrashed on the BF complain train.
And to think this was a trail game 😂
Line up for round 1.
5 goals up at qtr time and we’re total shyt, as sure as the sun rising in the morning.
You go back and look at the game, mate!

There were some great sign player-wise ... But we saw the same same Hinkley-ball shyte all over the game plan again.

Any excitement I get from watching some of our great young players is quickly extinguished when I see how easily the Crows scored over the back of our hard press. How many forward entries were wasted by our poor forward positioning. Its like a replay of bad movie!

Of course its just a trial game, and I really pray we get to see some game-plan improvement in the more serious trial next week .... But I will believe it when I see it.

PORT ADELAIDE V ADELAIDE - MATCH SIM
emoji408.png

TOP STATS
emoji409.png

26 Laird
21 Butters, Rozee
19 JHF
18 Crouch
17 Houston, Mead
15 Dawson
11 Wines

19 Hitouts - Sweet
16 Hitouts - Soldo

CBAS
emoji464.png

Port Adelaide
emoji298.png

Wines 19, Butters 16, JHF 16, Meade 16, Rozee 15, Soldo 14, Sweet 12, Boak 4, Visentini 4, Evans 4

Adelaide
emoji837.png
🟡
ROB 24, Laird 21, Dawson 14, Rankine 14, Crouch 13, Berry 9, Keays 7, Thilthorpe 5, Taylor 5, Pedlar 4, Rachele 2, Burgess 1, Edwards 1

CBA’s courtesy of: Code Sports
Stats courtesy of aflcentral

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stop, he's already dead

Our tall forwards hardly lead, not because they can’t, but cause of Hinkleys gameplan. It’s to cause congestion, therefore possible ball up. This is when we apply the press. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
A new coach will remedy this ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I could understand the game plan (to a point) when you have s**t kickers like wines and boak delivering to the forward line, but its unforgivable with the class we have now in the midfield that we continue the rubbish of kicking to a contest.

I re watched the trial, and I'm one of the supporters that aint buying into anything this year until this team can prove itself in a final. I fell for them last year and then they served up tripe in the finals.

After watching..nothing has changed, same game plan, same blokes making the same mistakes.. what the * do they do all preseason. We will beat up on the rubbish sides, maybe beat the sides similar to us at home and fall short of the good sides for the upteenth year.

After watching the replay I’m still no wiser as to whether that game was a good or bad indicator to the season ahead. First hitout against proper opposition, windy day and a lot of the ball over on the far wing that the camera up made it difficult to fully comprehend how we are travelling.

Thought when the ball was out in space we looked far superior however when the game was a contest clearance game the crows looked well on top (would be interested to know the Centre bounce / stoppage clearance numbers?) Whilst there’s no denying the ability of the 3 young guns I’m not convinced they are great clearance players (yet) so we’ll need a big season from Ollie to feed them the ball.
BZT was a pleasant surprise, read the ball well, looked reasonably efficient by foot.
Esava looked completely lost, by all reports he has been dominant at training, lets hope this was more a one off. We just need him to hold his own and allow Allir x2 to play his intercept game.
Speaking of Allir looked very rusty early on which made sense as it was his first hitout of the year. Looked a lot better as the game went on.
Jase Burgoyne was probably worst on ground. Burnt the ball on a no. of kicks where he was under no pressure. Not sure why he was picked in the ones team ahead of Sinn who looked much better in the internal? Hopefully Sinn gets that chance against Freo.
Was strange to see Bergman playing wing after Goldsack spent preseason talking up how he was playing in the backline. Wherever he plays I hope its better than what we saw Friday.
Willie Rioli looked damaging, good things always seem to happen when he has the ball. Hopefully he gets a full season this year as I think he could be in for a big one!
Losing SPP will hurt, has become a crucial player for us, and is so consistent in a position / role that is probably the hardest position on the field. Fingers crossed its only 2 weeks but expecting 3-4.
Long kicks to a crowded forward line looked a concern. You hope it was the windy conditions that resulted in that type of play, but history suggests it wasn’t. Also none of our key forwards looked likely at all (in the proper game) which is another concern considering the crows had a number of key defenders out.
JHF had a patch where he really did look like the A Grade elite player we expect him to come. Think it was at a point where the crows had taken some of their key players off, now for hornet to do that against the opposition’s best players.
Hopefully next week we see a few more positives. I’d like to see Sinn in for Burgoyne, Dante for Sweet and Scully and George in for Finlayson/Lord.

Jase Burgoyne was probably worst on ground. Burnt the ball on a no. of kicks where he was under no pressure. Not sure why he was picked in the ones team ahead of Sinn who looked much better in the internal? Hopefully Sinn gets that chance against Freo.
Was strange to see Bergman playing wing after Goldsack spent preseason talking up how he was playing in the backline. Wherever he plays I hope its better than what we saw Friday.
Sinn not ready for a full year on the wing. Should have tried Finlayson there instead of Clurey. Instead they'll play Burgoyne and shrug their shoulders if it doesn't work. Same shite different year/position

After watching the replay I’m still no wiser as to whether that game was a good or bad indicator to the season ahead. First hitout against proper opposition, windy day and a lot of the ball over on the far wing that the camera up made it difficult to fully comprehend how we are travelling.

Thought when the ball was out in space we looked far superior however when the game was a contest clearance game the crows looked well on top (would be interested to know the Centre bounce / stoppage clearance numbers?) Whilst there’s no denying the ability of the 3 young guns I’m not convinced they are great clearance players (yet) so we’ll need a big season from Ollie to feed them the ball.
BZT was a pleasant surprise, read the ball well, looked reasonably efficient by foot.
Esava looked completely lost, by all reports he has been dominant at training, lets hope this was more a one off. We just need him to hold his own and allow Allir x2 to play his intercept game.
Speaking of Allir looked very rusty early on which made sense as it was his first hitout of the year. Looked a lot better as the game went on.
Willie Rioli looked damaging, good things always seem to happen when he has the ball. Hopefully he gets a full season this year as I think he could be in for a big one!
Losing SPP will hurt, has become a crucial player for us, and is so consistent in a position / role that is probably the hardest position on the field. Fingers crossed its only 2 weeks but expecting 3-4.
Long kicks to a crowded forward line looked a concern. You hope it was the windy conditions that resulted in that type of play, but history suggests it wasn’t. Also none of our key forwards looked likely at all (in the proper game) which is another concern considering the crows had a number of key defenders out.
JHF had a patch where he really did look like the A Grade elite player we expect him to come. Think it was at a point where the crows had taken some of their key players off, now for hornet to do that against the opposition’s best players.
Hopefully next week we see a few more positives. I’d like to see Sinn in for Burgoyne, Dante for Sweet and Scully and George in for Finlayson/Lord.
Ken said pre game that plan A is to play Bergman on the wing.

He said he hasn't played as much defence throughout his career so that's why he spent a lot of time training with the defence in case he is needed there.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can only assume this is because he spent all preseason on Dixon's ghost and go the shock of his life when his opponent didn't immediately try to slap the ball to the nearest midget.

Who was that state leaguer we picked up a couple of years back? Was apparently scary good in pre-season (on our KPFs), only to prove he had the turning circle of a cargo ship and could not keep up with the likes of Mitch Lewis or Hipwood.

Sinn not ready for a full year on the wing. Should have tried Finlayson there instead of Clurey. Instead they'll play Burgoyne and shrug their shoulders if it doesn't work. Same shite different year/position

Even Hinkley should be able to see the similarities between Westhoff and Finlayson, therefore giving the latter a run on the wing while being encouraged to drag his man forward on occasion. Its a tactic that did work really well for us and I would go as far as to say that Jeremy is a better field kick than Justin, particularly going inside 50

It's typical of Hinkley's lack of vision that this tactic is unlikely to at least be tried in the preseason. Clearly Burgoyne and Sinn aren't going to be ready for the role this year.

Tragically it can be difficult to predict what you are going to get from Jeremy due to the incredible strain he is under with Kellie's situation.

Who was that state leaguer we picked up a couple of years back? Was apparently scary good in pre-season (on our KPFs), only to prove he had the turning circle of a cargo ship and could not keep up with the likes of Mitch Lewis or Hipwood.
Sam Skinner. Unfortunately 3 knee reco's had robbed him of the pace and mobility to play at AFL level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back