Review Port Adelaide vs Fremantle - Trial Match 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad hit out . Pretty scrappy especially early but once we got on top it improved .
Still not much system going forward but Fos would be happy “ just get it in there ) .
Would love to see a leading Todd getting a nice pass or even Dixon
Speaking of Dixon , he still seems our dominant forward and does do a lot of heavy lifting , if we can keep him fit he’ll still be valuable .
Another maligned player McEntee was actually quite good and led the way at being quick off the mark wether it was getting in front of his opponent when the ball came in ( rarity in our forward line) or to make a tackle or pressure act .
Another lesser light in Mead was also very good , his energy around the ball I’ve seen it before but he didn’t seem to have the tank to maintain it , if he can I reckon he can have a spot ( maybe Boaks who was just ok )
Burgoyne gets around the ball well if he can tidy up his kicking he could play a wing .
Drew was good . Ollie was excellent especially early and I thought along with Rozee was our best .Ratogalea was good , sometimes good for just being in the way with his big frame , he took some marks and kicked ok to position BZT was also good , I like his height and his athleticism and skills are quite good , I think he’ll only improve and play 150 games for us .
Soldo and Sweet look competitive at least , probably Lycett at the top of his game might’ve been better but we only got that a handful of games a year .
Rioli was good as usual, such a smart player and a wise recruit .
Houston was good as always .
We are still a work in progress, I’m keen to get Sinn and George in for probably DBJ and Boak but that’ll happen soon enough .
Happy New Season , bring it on , we’re a chance , probably behind Coll ,Bris , possibly Carlton but in the next bracket

I think it was Vic journo Rohan Connolly who suggested our 4 traded players were B graders at best, and C or D graders at worst.

Going by tonight's game he may have undervalued Esava and BZT a tad, but unfortunately he may be right on the money with Soldo in particular, who has been disappointing in both trial games.

I'm still not sure about Sweet though, he does appear to have a better football brain than Ivan but in the long run that may not mean much at all and I suspect we will have to play both of them to be a chance against better oppo than Freo, particularly against someone like eg Max Gawn where using them in tandem will almost certainly be necessary.

The above aside I'm of the opinion both will only be keeping the seat warm for Visentini who I believe has a much higher ceiling than either of them.
What do you expect from Soldo? He was never going to be Max Gawn, Brendan Lade or Dean Cox. We didn't bring him in to play well in March...

He has shown intent around the ground to ruck and Push forward, has shown ability in the Crows game to take intercept marks.

He has had an interrupted PreSeason and is getting run back into the legs. He is an upgrade on anything we had last year and will continue to build as the season proper rolls on. He is the perfect example for Sweet, Ruck and get dangerous or assist the back 6.

He's incapable of saying anything logical. It's like he speaks in another language when answering a question or providing a game day comment. There is NO other Afl coach like him, I find it infuriating. How has he got away with this for so long?
So you understand Bevo , understood Sheedy and his Martians and Malthouse and the “ox is slow but the early bird is better than 2 in the hand” s**t? Actually seems the incoherent ones win flags.

I was at the game last night. A really solid showcasing and a much better overall pre-season compared to last year.

That being said I'd argue that we haven't come up against any true quality opposition this pre-season either, and our first game against a legitimate team isn't until round 3.

I personally think people are being too harsh on Soldo after the game. Sean Darcy has always been a hit out dominating ruckman but to be honest his taps weren't even as effective as they normally would be up against Lycett. Not to mention that unlike Lycett, Soldo has the energy and pace to traverse the ground quickly and form a contest in the packs. The first play of the game already proved that his tank is twice as much as what Scooter had.

He won't win matches off of his own boot, but he'll still be fit to cover more ground and positions then anyone from our list last year. Toby Nankervis in round 2 will be his big test though.

BZT reverse coleman medal winner watch had 0 kicked on him, direct opponent treacy had 7 disposals at 14% efficiency and 5 turnovers, bzt top the team for one percenters (6), equal third for marks (9) and stuck his head in the hole and ran back with the flight of the ball yet again.

not baddddddd

Wasn't he on Tay Tay last week? He was goalless too.

Rizza has the look of a bloke thinking Well I guess my ZZ Top reference wasn't as original as I thought :p

dnVcvogP.jpg

Everyone at Freo said that Hayden Young could be the next Jordan Dawson, and after watching yesterday I actually don't think it's a completely bs take.
He's probably the only thing that Dockers fans could be reasonably excited about atm.

Even though Ross Lyon isn't coaching them anymore they still play a lot of boring Rossball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone at Freo said that Hayden Young could be the next Jordan Dawson, and after watching yesterday I actually don't think it's a completely bs take.
He's probably the only thing that Dockers fans could be reasonably excited about atm.

Even though Ross Lyon isn't coaching them anymore they still play a lot of boring Rossball.
Did anyone think it was a bs take? Hayden Young has always been touted as a future star.

Ross isn't even playing Rossball anymore. Fremantle is a disaster.
Kinda turned themselves into early 2010s brisbane through no fault of their own.

Have had to pony up to get Luke jackson and a large chunk of cap to keep cox and darcy.

All while being a real revolving door of talent.

In just 2 off seasons they've lost
Darcy Tucker
Griffon Logue
Blake Acres
Joel Hamling
Lachie Schultz
Liam Henry

If Burgoyne can improve his disposal by foot he'll be ok he finds enough of it, I'm not sure why he's still built like a toothpick though.
i like burgoyne and he's still only young but i have doubts about his afl cred, it seems he still does the same mistakes which is stupid disposal for no obvious reason. That should be gone by now, same with Mead, he's not AFL material but a good sanfl guy

They played totally defensive, limit the scores against football last night and it’s horrible to watch.
they have the worse forward line the in afl, its gonna be real hard to score for them so i dont blame longmuir for going the defensive way. If he opens its up then there will be big blow outs and he will be the scapegoat

BZT reverse coleman medal winner watch had 0 kicked on him, direct opponent treacy had 7 disposals at 14% efficiency and 5 turnovers, bzt top the team for one percenters (6), equal third for marks (9) and stuck his head in the hole and ran back with the flight of the ball yet again.

not baddddddd
you talking about treacy, he's not even a wafl colts superstar

Kane Farrell & Jackson Mead were both running at over 95% disposal efficiency whilst also having more than 20+ disposals each.
That's probably why Burton's burned kicks stood out more then they normally would.

What did everyone think about our desire to go through the corridor at all times. I think it looks good with the class of Rozee, JHF and Butters, we try to get the ball to the attacking side of the centre square and our pressure players Mcintee and Evans try to put as much pressure as they can on the opponent to create the turnover. If we can master this we can become a very dangerous side, although it could also come undone against teams with good contested ball and ground ball games

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What did everyone think about our desire to go through the corridor at all times. I think it looks good with the class of Rozee, JHF and Butters, we try to get the ball to the attacking side of the centre square and our pressure players Mcintee and Evans try to put as much pressure as they can on the opponent to create the turnover. If we can master this we can become a very dangerous side, although it could also come undone against teams with good contested ball and ground ball games

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app
thats the same as last year, we will get out fair share of wins and maybe a scalp or 2 but when the whips are cracking we will get done the same we always gets done, when faced against finals pressure we get smacked at the contested ball which stops the forward flow and those kicks through the corridor you get away with in the minor rounds get cut off by teams with a real defensive set up. Its nothing new, Hinkleyball 101, have a list that will get you a contract extension but never really look like winning a premiership.

GWS made our game plan look silly and the Western Bulldogs did the same thing, Let Port think they are a good team knowing you only have the turn the dial up at the contest to expose them as pretenders. Hinkley has never even tried to address the issue, just because Richmond once let him get away with it in a final way-back in 2014 he still thinks it will happen one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back