Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

G Cornes optimistic:

Port’s dismal exit from the 2023 has impacted on the club. Their notoriously impatient members who sometimes occupy an alternative universe, demand change and they demand success, as if it’s a commodity that can be dialled up and delivered by MenuLog.

If Friday night is an indication, that improvement may be imminent. Port’s football department has been working overtime during the summer break. For a team that had serious deficiencies in three of the four key areas, Port did remarkably well to finish in the top four in 2023. But it all came crashing down in September. Your weaknesses will be fearfully exposed in September.

With injury to, and inconsistent form of Scott Lycett they struggled in the ruck. In defence, they were lacking one tall defender.
And in the forward line, injuries to Charlie Dixon, Mitch Georgiades and Todd Marshall constantly disrupted their forward line structure.
Too much was left to Jeremy Finlayson who tired towards the end of the year.

But there is much to like about the form of the newcomer Ivan Soldo who relished his opportunity to play in the ruck on Friday night.
Soldo won’t be complaining about trial games because his form looks certain to give him another AFL opportunity.

But there is also Jordon Sweet, who wasn’t going to play second fiddle to Soldo. Both ruckmen competed strongly against Riley O’Brien but Soldo perhaps has greater flexibility to go forward. In defence in 2023, Port always appeared to be too small.
They were lacking a third tall intercept marking defender. But they have managed to pry Esava Ratugolea away from Geelong.
He was quietish on night Friday – almost as if the confines of Alberton Oval were strange to him and beneath his talents, but he has impressed all since arriving at the club and is one player who can make Port a better team. Brandon Zirk-Thatcher was the big surprise. He stood Taylor Walker on Friday night and more than held his own.

Expectations weren’t particularly high when he walked into Alberton for the pre-season but he has made the coaching staff notice him for the right reasons and it will be hard to leave him out in the opening round. Friday night didn’t solve Port’s forward line issues. In 2023 it was a constant work-in-progress, and Charlie Dixon who at his best is their key forward, is not completely free of injury. He rarely gets an easy kick and restricted as he sometimes is, finds difficulty to get separation from his opposing defender.

Mitch Georgiades is back but will need more time.
The most impressive performance from a Port forward came from young Tom Scully in the fifth and sixth periods. But he’s unlikely to unseat Dixon, Marshall or Lord. Still, with the improvement in defence and the ruck and their truly elite midfield, Port should again be a contender.

Pretty fair comments I reckon

That was my 2 cents worth
I agree with you.

Daddy Donuts' game plan, if there actually is one, makes no sense. He believes that repeat F50 entries, that is entries that result in an opposition D50 rebound, are the way to win games and that the role of a KPF is not to take marks and kick goals but to bring the ball to ground so that small forwards can execute pressure acts. Dixon has fully bought into this philosophy and has publicly stated that any supporter who can't see that this is the way to premiership success lacks intelligence.

I agree with you.

Daddy Donuts' game plan, if there actually is one, makes no sense. He believes that repeat F50 entries, that is entries that result in an opposition D50 rebound, are the way to win games and that the role of a KPF is not to take marks and kick goals but to bring the ball to ground so that small forwards can execute pressure acts. Dixon has fully bought into this philosophy and has publicly stated that any supporter who can't see that this is the way to premiership success lacks intelligence.

I battle with the repeat entries style because there’s never any space in the 50 for intelligent blocking and leading, resulting in separation and marks.

It’s very Dixon centric bring the ball the ground and crumb, again with very little space.

We probably would benefit from sliding the press back 20 metres but we won’t change.

Pretty fair comments I reckon
A tad optomistic tbh.
Still, we do have the cattle to do much better than we have.
Just a case of getting the cattle to believe it :think: That's where the requisite improvement will come to go those extra few steps ala Collingwood!

Oh - and a more practical, logical, efficient and sustainable game plan, but that's for another decade yet to come :huh:

There appeared to be no obvious malice involved in the SPP situation but as has already been suggested given Brayshaws recent retirement due to concussion issues I suspect he is looking at a minimum of 2 matches and possibly 3.

Assuming he is suspended the bloke I would consider as his replacement in the forward 50 is Lachie Jones who has the same manic approach, but with even less finesse.

Re the manic bit, a player making a ball handling error in the forward line is usually not as costly as a similar error at the other end, and I've gone off Jones as a defender for that reason.
Leaving your man and going hard at the ball is only effective if you keep the ball in front, but too often when Lachie attacks the ball he lets it get behind him and his opponent is left wide open with no opponent in the same post code, which can often result in either that player scoring or setting up a shot on goal for a team mate.

Our defense was a shambles on Friday night. The a number of times they allowed opponent to easily get free and score, then looked at each other as if to say:
"Werent you on him?"
"No I thought you were?
"Maybe he was then?"
[Shrugs shoulders and plods off]

The most maligned of them all, Zerk-Thatcher, was one of the only ones to stand up IMO. Rats, was pretty useless. Aliir got better as the game went on, but kept getting pinged for infringing his opponent. Jones .... was Jones!

A lot of work to be done for them to all gel with the new guys ... I think they will, but we can expect some hairy times over the first bunch of games IMO.

Our defense was a shambles on Friday night. The a number of times they allowed opponent to easily get free and score, then looked at each other as if to say:
"Werent you on him?"
"No I thought you were?
"Maybe he was then?"

The most maligned of them all, Zerk-Thatcher, was one of the only ones to stand up IMO. Rats, was pretty useless. Aliir got better as the game went on, but kept getting pinged for infringing his opponent. Jones .... was Jones!

A lot of work to be done for them to all gel with the new guys ... I think they will, but we can expect some hairy times over the first bunch of games IMO.
Agree 100%.

This, and the complete mess that was our tall forward line.

There appeared to be no obvious malice involved in the SPP situation but as has already been suggested given Brayshaws recent retirement due to concussion issues I suspect he is looking at a minimum of 2 matches and possibly 3.

Assuming he is suspended the bloke I would consider as his replacement in the forward 50 is Lachie Jones who has the same manic approach, but with even less finesse.

Re the manic bit, a player making a ball handling error in the forward line is usually not as costly as a similar error at the other end, and I've gone off Jones as a defender for that reason.
Leaving your man and going hard at the ball is only effective if you keep the ball in front, but too often when Lachie attacks the ball he lets it get behind him and his opponent is left wide open with no opponent in the same post code, which can often result in either that player scoring or setting up a shot on goal for a team mate.
That was my opinion yesterday but a fellow poster rubbished me because Jones according to him was our “small” defender and I’m sure that we have a least six smaller players on our list who could do a better job than Lachie. By all means give him a go as a replacement for SPP, if required

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see crows fans are back to being experts on all things concussion again, but also experts on MRO decisions too now. I wonder if this level of intellect and passion for a great cause can last longer than a week this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shambles mess all over the ground, that’s why we got thrashed.

We aren't a shambles all over the ground. We're arguably competition best in midfield and midfield is the most impactful part of the ground.

We have probably 2 of the best 8 midfielders in the game right now, plus another tracking to get to that level fast, plus a trio of very useful secondary midfielders that includes a recent Brownlow medalist and an evergreen veteran who was an All Australian level player until very recently.

Do you ever wonder why in that context we're basically an above average team that sort of makes finals but doesn't compete with any of the serious teams?

It's because our back and forward lines are a shambles, that's why.

Talk about wrong place at the wrong time, really unlucky for SPP. The incident itself was unlucky and the timing with brayshaw retirement could not make it any worse.

Horrible luck for Keane too, just one of 100% accidental collisions that will cost both players weeks on the sidelines.

It just angers me that SPP is staring down the barrel of 3 weeks for that and Maynard ends up let off with a premiership medal for what he did. The trial by media seems completely different too and the one that had much more choice and time to react differently in the collision is the one that gets treated with more leniency.

“What else was he meant to do” lol, unfortunately no one is prepared to go into bat for SPP like that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We aren't a shambles all over the ground. We're arguably competition best in midfield and midfield is the most impactful part of the ground.

We have probably 2 of the best 8 midfielders in the game right now, plus another tracking to get to that level fast, plus a trio of very useful secondary midfielders that includes a recent Brownlow medalist and an evergreen veteran who was an All Australian level player until very recently.

Do you ever wonder why in that context we're basically an above average team that sort of makes finals but doesn't compete with any of the serious teams?

We’ve also got the most All Australians on our list of any club in the competition

Great post.

"Werent you on him?"
"No I thought you were?
"Maybe he was then?"
Feels like that's been the state of our defence for about 15 years

I don’t believe our forward set up is a shambles considering we was one of the better scoring sides last year( 3rd highest ).
With MG back and if Todd can stop hitting his head on the ground we don’t look that bad.

Our defense did let us down but was holding pretty well till the mystery illness hit at the back end of the season.
The club has tried to address the defensive problems during the off season and we should be better this year in the ruck.
Like it was a trail, first hit out with a lot of new players and guys trying out in different positions.
I’m prepared as a legitimate supporter to cut some slack at this time of year.
Very easy to jump on the complain train, it’s packed but always room for one more.

Must have you can’t seriously be that shyt and win 😳
We didnt lose ... and we didnt win, it was a draw. (Not counting the last two quarters)

But we did play a shyte team, and at one stage were leading 7 goals to 3, and should have gone on to bury them! Instead, only to see them catch up and take the lead through some absolute abysmal defenses lapses.

There were some good takeaways, and we can certainly learn from the mistakes ... But I am "just calling a spade, a spade." Plus there were clear signs that Hinkley Ball is still alive & well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back