Review PAFC 2024 Internal Trial @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see Daniel Merrett shoulder to shoulder with Carr.

That is as impressed I have been with an internal trial in years. We have an insane amount of star power and depth. We look to be playing a quick ball movement Collingwood style of play and i kind of think we can improve like Collingwood did from 2022 to 2023

Butters: playing Ablett-esque superstar afl footy. Enjoys taking on his opponents and rarely comes off second best. His class and disposal was on par with 2023 possibly even better.

Rozee: Elite evasive speedy mid. Looks like a leader out there.

JHF: looks faster and stronger than 2023, is more involved in the contest. We legit have 3 superstar midfielders.

BZT: super impressed with his game, I don't think he got beaten in a one on one. A upgrade on Jonas as the 3rd defender

Ratugulea: Embarrassed Dixon, a better one on one defender than Aliir

Soldo: I did not realise how quick and competitive he was. While his ruck work wasn't perfect he is certainly an upgrade on Lycett.

Burgoyne: was that Peter Burgoyne out there? Has definitely improved and will only get better

SPP: elite, same as last year

Marshall: strong and confident, expect him to be our leading goal kicker this year

Wines: Thought he was poor, we looked better without him in the middle. Can never consistently hit targets

Boak: fumbled, missed kicks. He looked fit and I think he will be a solid sub for experience

Dixon: I don't know if he is finished or Esava is an elite defender. Still seemed to hobble out there like the GWS final, i really hope that we can evolve past an unfit Dixon.

Houston: good game, not his usual high standards

Bergman: solid and reliable.

Burton: defended well but didn't get alot of the ball

Rioli: looked fit and dangerous but went missing alot

Lord: had a poor game and barely got a look at it

Georgiades: Looked solid and even more competitive than before his knee

Sinn: looked quick and composed, nothing like the player I have seen the past few years

Scully: something about him, I think he is more talented than Lord as a forward. Just a bit raw

Walsh: what a rookie pick will play games

Mead: tries hard but seems vanilla compared to our other mids

Anastolopolous: looks competitive, ready to play. Kicked a nice goal

Charleson: played ok, kicked a goal and missed a few

Clurey: thought he was fit and reliable down back.

Sweet: at this stage looks like a b grade ruck, could improve

Visentini: the best out of the rucks in terms of ruck work. Just a little weaker than the other boys

Watched the first half of the Crows trial and we looked far more polished and classy than they did. In fact of all the trial footage I've watched I have been most impressed with us and Collingwood.

We will be top 4 again, bookmark it

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit hard on Mead, I wrote him off last year, but looked solid, evasive. Think he kicked a couple of goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cooper?

Tiwi Islands

May have been on Gold Coast list as a rookie?

Maybe with the Goodwood Saints ? Not sure on that .

Think contracted to Port Magpies this year.

Pretty vague I know just they said a little about him in the commentary but can't find too much about him on google.

I was telling people he was Benny Barrett the Port NGA player. Would have got away with it if not for you pesky kids :p

Butters only improving his run through the middle is seriously something special

soldo, such a big upgrade from lycett.

Every now and again he, Rozee and JHF did something that made you think they are playing a different game to everyone else.

Cockatoo looked pretty dam good, I remember when his ol man played for us in our inaugural squad. I hear he’s father son ?

Kyle Marshall been really slack this pre season i mean hes chucked on a few kgs not in a good way and aged quite a bit
do u have a photo of him? cant find one of him this pre-season ahaha

Cockatoo looked pretty dam good, I remember when his ol man played for us in our inaugural squad. I hear he’s father son ?

20 years old I think, SANFL listed for us this and last season.

Cooper?

Tiwi Islands

May have been on Gold Coast list as a rookie?

Maybe with the Goodwood Saints ? Not sure on that .

Think contracted to Port Magpies this year.

Pretty vague I know just they said a little about him in the commentary but can't find too much about him on google.
Found him. Nathaniel Cooper from Goodwood Saints. Was on GWS's VFL list in 2022.

Good hit out & a fair bit to like.

• Lycett is an enormous loss for the 17 other AFL coaches.
  • Mead belongs at AFL level.
  • BZT looks very capable as a 3rd KPD, nice pick up by Cripps & Co.
  • Sinn has gone from bust to boom in just one practice match. WOW!
  • For his height, Scully has great dexterity & skills. I really liked his game.
  • Call me crazy, but Xavier Walsh will go down as the biggest steal of last years draft. Watch this space, his desperation & competitive nature reminds me of a younger Alex Rance.
  • Marshall looks like he finally discovered the weight room during the off season, appears far more imposing up front.
  • Wines has come back like a new recruit, gee our midfield runs incredibly deep with him back in form.
  • Is it too early to delist Jed & DBJ?

Last edited:
I like what I’m hearing about Xavier Walsh. We could have another Dan Houston-like bargain from the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sure Pascoe was a standout junior at U15 and U16 level in the same state team as Lukosius and Rozee. But he was listed as 190cm then and he didn’t grow further- waistline excepted. Father played for Norwood.

Pascoe then dropped off the draft radar- I assumed injury. It may in fact be because he is that Tweener height.

Looks like we have gone back to the same well we got Luke Surman from.

Good hit out & a fair bit to like.

• Lycett is an enormous loss for the 17 other AFL coaches.
  • Mead belongs at AFL level.
  • BZT looks very capable as a 3rd KPD, nice pick up by Cripps & Co.
  • Sinn has gone from bust to boom in just one practice match. WOW!
  • For his height, Scully has great dexterity & skills. I really liked his game.
  • Call me crazy, but Xavier Walsh will go down as the biggest steal of last years draft. Watch this space, his desperation & competitive nature reminds me of a younger Alex Rance.
  • Marshall looks like he finally discovered the weight room during the off season, appears far more imposing up front.
  • Wines has come back like a new recruit, gee our midfield runs incredibly deep with him back in form.
  • Is it too early to delist Jed & DBJ?
I have always liked Mead for his ball handling ability, needs to clean up his kicking under pressure somewhat. Needs to get the ball.
I'm bullish Scully. I almost picked him in the buddy draft.

Interested to see Daniel Merrett shoulder to shoulder with Carr.

Assistant coach of the women’s team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back