Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone feel sorry for Warner's wife? Bet she's one of the vipers that Bracken's missus mentioned the WAGS room is full of. She said there's a distinct hierarchy that basically mirrors that of the team.
We don't need to spend a millisecond thinking about how the WAGs behave.
It has nothing to do with the current crisis. Besides which, it's hearsay/gossip (no hard evidence, either way) which adds nothing to the cheating debate.
Her other option in SBW isn't going so well career wise either
Surprisingly cheap shot, for you, even if it was meant to be humorous.
The SBW incident is over 10 years old and should stay buried in her past.

See another prime example of why Khwaja and S Marsh need to be banished from Test cricket (and Burns but he is a fill in anyway).

Chips are down, backs against the wall and our two most senior players offer nothing.

Hopefully CA gets a clean out amd their favourites also do.
Disagree almost wholeheartedly. Usman was the ONLY guy putting up any sort of fight. This team is mentally cooked, to take anything from it would be silly

Yes, when that weak leadership is a refusal to stop Warner and Bancroft from cheating. It made him a co-conspirator.
It was his duty to tell them not to do it.
Maybe he did tell them and they took no notice?
I’m not saying he shouldn’t get a punishment but maybe he’s not as guilty as first thought?

Disagree almost wholeheartedly. Usman was the ONLY guy putting up any sort of fight. This team is mentally cooked, to take anything from it would be silly
Going to be interesting to see what the batting line-up looks like come our Summer against the Indians & Sri Lankans.

Think I would prefer Kwahaja opening with Renshaw, but then what do we do about #3.

Maxwell surely comes into the side, assuming still in form.

Would like to see Head come in too as made some big knocks this year & his leadership going forward will be invaluable for Paine.

We need to look to players for the long term.

Good article:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...points-to-all-thats-ugly-in-aus-sport/9607276
" ... here's my plea to Australia's professional sports men and women, to the weekend warriors, to the kids playing school and junior sport:
Next time you try to fool the ref that the ball came off your opponent last when you know it was you, next time you scrape a cricket ball, next time you get in a coward's punch or land a late tackle, next time you abuse someone, next time you feel you need to do anything beyond using your fitness, strength and skill to get an edge, just stop and pause.

Maybe you don't need to. "

Maybe he did tell them and they took no notice?
I’m not saying he shouldn’t get a punishment but maybe he’s not as guilty as first thought?
Or CA now using their new script to get Smith back sooner. ;)

Then Smith surely would have said so but it doesn’t look that way.

This could have reduced his punishment.

The wrong thing to do as leader was to not instruct the guys from not doing it. The right thing to do is go down with the ship when your lack if leadership resulted in the shit hitting the fan.

See another prime example of why Khwaja and S Marsh need to be banished from Test cricket (and Burns but he is a fill in anyway).

Chips are down, backs against the wall and our two most senior players offer nothing.

Hopefully CA gets a clean out amd their favourites also do.

They might be our most senior players right now, but they weren't last test. You don't just grow a leg because the 2 captains got banned and you moved up in the games played ladder.

Reckon there's a Don't ask, don't tell element to it.

Warner was the team's delegated ball-polisher. And has been for a long time. Why? Who appointed him to that role? How did the other players know to leave the shining to him?

Don't worry boys, I'll get 'er hooping

<General chuckling from all>

It has nothing to do with the current crisis. Besides which, it's hearsay/gossip (no hard evidence, either way) which adds nothing to the cheating debate.

But she's all over the news blaming herself for the debacle. She's making her role as WAG important to what went down. I don't even know what the SBW incident is. First thought was SJW mis-spelt. I have barely watched a ball of cricket since Clarke became captain after abandoning his teammates in NZ to find a ring in a toilet. I know nothing of the WAGS except there was an article yesterday that was from Bracken's missus interview years ago and then today I see this person making it all about them on the front pages. Seemed topical to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i googled SBW and WAG incident and there's some implications of shagging at a club but nothing specific. I couldn't give a shit and I fail to understand how I referenced anything similar in my post. It's entirely based upon the WAG culture as described by Bracken's missus in an article that I read yesterday. Her coming out and making it about her seems to fit with what I read. It's front page news today.

Fun Easter in the Warner household:

Coming home today I walked into the room and I was in tears and our daughters were so upset. They were like ‘why you crying, Mummy?’

“I had to make an excuse and I was like, because you know I spoke to the Easter bunny and he’s not coming. It’s really hard to explain to kids and they don’t understand and they still see it as Mummy and Daddy but it’s hard, it’s really hard.”

Not sure how I feel over the whole episode yet. However I find it interesting that no one has questioned why somebody would record SBW and Candice and then go on to publish it. It seems at times our culture has a toxic and negative aspect that completely disregards the long term effects that their actions have on others.

But she's all over the news blaming herself for the debacle. She's making her role as WAG important to what went down. I don't even know what the SBW incident is.
I won't be reading any articles that quote Candice Warner about anything except whether Warner himself was the ringleader. That's the only thing she would know that I'm interested in.
This:
was directed at hey shorty, whom I respect. You, as well.
I have zero interest in what Candice Warner did over 10 years ago, when she was 22 and single.

The Easter Bunny isn't coming ?? What, you couldn't duck down to the shops and grab a couple of choccies for the kids ??

The Easter Bunny isn’t coming because we killed him and buried him in the yard kids, right next to the tooth Fairy and Santa

This is contrary to what most people are saying, but as a former lawyer I don’t agree that Warner has been “poorly advised”

(Just to be clear - I’m not defending anything he did in anyway. Based on the little we know it appears that he deserves what he gets)

If his press conference goal was to seek forgiveness in the hope of playing again - as it was with Bancroft and Smith - then sure, he should have said more.

But unlike those two players, and as he seems to acknowledge, he’s probably got little chance of playing top level cricket again

Hence his strategy is to protect himself on three levels

Family - he may have decided that the abuse his family will have to put up with if he doesn’t say enough is less than the abuse they’ll have to put up with if he tells all. He could be wrong about that, but can’t blame him for trying to protect his wife and children

Money - his income has collapsed and unlike the other two his chances of reviving it seem slim. Meanwhile Cricket Australia have lost millions over this. Potentially, if they think he’s the culprit they might look to sue him to recover some of their loss. In that situation he’s only going to say the minimum at this time. He’s not going to comment on whether he’s done it before or how he knew what to do or what actually transpired

Power - there’s a review coming up and information is power. What he knows about who else did what or knew what could be of use to him at some point. Same with the possibility of an appeal. He’s keeping his powder dry to maximize his leverage as he moves into uncertain situations

Again, I’m not defending him but I can see what his advisers have perhaps told him. If it turns out he is in fact the main instigator then apologise profusely but otherwise saying the minimum at this stage is a sound legal strategy

This is contrary to what most people are saying, but as a former lawyer I don’t agree that Warner has been “poorly advised”

(Just to be clear - I’m not defending anything he did in anyway. He deserves what he gets)

If his press conference goal was to seek forgiveness in the hope of playing again - as it was with Bancroft and Smith - then sure, he should have said more.

But unlike those two players, and as he seems to acknowledge, he’s probably got little chance of playing top level cricket again

Hence his strategy is to protect himself on three levels

Family - he may have decided that the abuse his family will have to put up with if he doesn’t say enough is less than the abuse they’ll have to put up with if he tells all. He could be wrong about that, but can’t blame him for trying to protect his wife and children

Money - his income has collapsed and unlike the other two his chances of reviving it seem slim. Meanwhile Cricket Australia have lost millions over this. Potentially, if they think he’s the culprit they might look to sue him to recover some of their loss. In that situation he’s only going to say the minimum at this time. He’s not going to comment on whether he’s done it before or how he knew what to do or what actually transpired

Power - there’s a review coming up and information is power. What he knows about who else did what or knew what could be of use to him at some point. Same with the possibility of an appeal. He’s keeping his powder dry to maximize his leverage as he moves into uncertain situations

Again, I’m not defending him but I can see what his advisers have perhaps told him. If it turns out he is in fact the main instigator then apologist by profusely but otherwise saying the minimum at this stage is a sound legal strategy
His approach yesterday was a prepared Public Relations exercise .......apologise a lot, show remorse .....but don't answer specific questions, until the $million dollar paid TV interview :rolleyes:

That's galling, that Warner will still seek to make money from his scandel .....wait & watch

Back