Discussion Round 4, 2018 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No, white shorts for away has been a largely unbroken convention since the games inception. Not to sure what you're talking about with the royal jumper. The royal jumper is North Melbs home jumper so it makes sense for them to wear it at home.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
White shorts for teams in white has been standard for quite a while now, and white shorts for teams with more white an adaption of the rule. Not that it ever applied to Collingwood but North aren't Collingwood so there's every chance that it could have.
Navy and royal seem to only "sometimes" clash, just like navy and black.
Carlton and Melbourne wear navy jumpers against North and WB but Adelaide can't. This is just an extension of the rubberyness of the white shorts/clash jumper policy.

I wonder if Carlton forgot that North wear mainly royal now and only brought the blue shorts. Like the did the other year against Geelong. Bit further to run back to HQ and get your white ones from Hobart than Etihad.

2zywfom.png

White shorts for teams in white has been standard for quite a while now, and white shorts for teams with more white an adaption of the rule. Not that it ever applied to Collingwood but North aren't Collingwood so there's every chance that it could have.
Navy and royal seem to only "sometimes" clash, just like navy and black.
Carlton and Melbourne wear navy jumpers against North and WB but Adelaide can't. This is just an extension of the rubberyness of the white shorts/clash jumper policy.
I am struggling to see your contention. So you think white shorts should be eliminated wherever possible? If so, why? It's the simplest way to tell the two teams apart and you can instantly tell who is home and who is away.

I am struggling to see your contention. So you think white shorts should be eliminated wherever possible? If so, why? It's the simplest way to tell the two teams apart and you can instantly tell who is home and who is away.

The simplest way to tell two teams apart is differentiating guernseys. That, after all, is the point of guernseys.

I'm saying the white away shorts rule has been flexible and adapted for quite a while. At times it has included Freo and St Kilda in its "who has most white" phase.
White shorts away hasn't been a concrete sacred rule for a decade.

The Carl vs NM match up is awful. The wide shots especially. I tried to watch it on 7mate (SD) and the poor quality of the viewing coupled with the poor commentary made me turn it off. Slowly but surely falling out of love with the AFL. I still love Port but the AFL, their piss poor coverage, constant rule changes and interpretations can go suck a fat one! But thats a whinge for another thread/day.

The simplest way to tell two teams apart is differentiating guernseys. That, after all, is the point of guernseys.
In NFL, you can instantly tell who is home and away with the two kits. White shorts does this beautifully as it gives you information about the game instantaneously. There is no sane reason to get rid of white shorts.

The Carl vs NM match up is awful. The wide shots especially. I tried to watch it on 7mate (SD) and the poor quality of the viewing coupled with the poor commentary made me turn it off. Slowly but surely falling out of love with the AFL. I still love Port but the AFL, their piss poor coverage, constant rule changes and interpretations can go suck a fat one! But thats a whinge for another thread/day.
Easily one of the worst games I've seen in the last decade from a broadcast point of view. Carlton in navy shorts threw me over the edge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m baffled by the reaction to navy v royal shorts (I for one loved it , and hope to see it more often )

It works especially well for Carlton’s *nearly black* navy

Adelaide’s previous BLK-faded navy (which was in between royal and black) wasn’t as dark , which could be why others cited clashes with royal (though I never had an issue with a clash when my eagles wore royal against them) . If anything , the overlapping secondary colour (yellow/gold) added to the clash so perhaps white shorts helped
jQk8TXm0-h0Y-W_bLjTf2CdvsCf3xkagobi_AYSptI6YclhldS0Tvf3cOr_j6t-m0u4HLJFDdJLEBrCF91pr9p-dSEKXT1idCMaxPGrsPAPS10fOKzXFzYmhhQ=w474-h310-nc

But going back to yesterday’s matchup - I’m still pleasantly surprised but glad that we were treated to full royal v full navy (wearing white shorts against teams who wear white is silly). Grey is only a slightly improvement .

In NFL, you can instantly tell who is home and away with the two kits. White shorts does this beautifully as it gives you information about the game instantaneously. There is no sane reason to get rid of white shorts.
So is there an issue in not knowing who is home in the WB v Sydney match last night?
Do you get confused when Geelong wear white shorts at home?

The sane reason to get rid of them is that there are often alternatives (and sometimes , wearing white shorts just makes the clash worse if the opposition team has white shorts in their guernsey )

I’m assuming you’re joking about the home/away thing but in case you aren’t - the home team is always listed first

So is there an issue in not knowing who is home in the WB v Sydney match last night?
Beat me to it . Full royal v Full red is the best matchup in the league

Do you get confused when Geelong wear white shorts at home?
Confused probably isn’t the word ;)

So using that match-up, no one apart from Collingwood, Bulldogs or WCE should have to wear clash or white shorts vs North ever again.

Sorry, I'm being logical. I'll show myself out now.
Actually RE: North/Collingwood, this matchup makes me hope that we’ll one day see a full royal v full black matchup ) , which would look glorious

As an eagles fan , I would love to someday see our peril + peril shorts against North

Why should Geelong wear white shorts all the time if this combo is allowed tonight?
As North inverted their guernsey, it’s not quite comparing apples to apples (but I agree with the sentiment that the home team should have the right to pick their entire kit )

Amusingly , if the policy has indeed just changed , North will have gone to all that trouble for nothing

That said , I think us wearing white shorts caused more of a clash in this instance
Steve+Johnson+Sharrod+Wellingham+AFL+Rd+4+npxhqfk2v_Wl.jpg

I’d be interested to see how Geelong full home v Eagles full royal would look
(And I’m unsure how dark Geelong’s shade of navy is , relative to Carlton’s nearly black shade)

Peril shorts would’ve been awesome too

Every game of a royal team v a black team should be full kits IMO.
I like the sentiment of this post
I especially agree with this if white is an overlapping colour , or the home team’s colour

But why is it so important to know who is playing at home while watching? What extra benefit does that give to the overall viewing experience? Will a Geelong player suddenly get confused when playing Carlton at Geelong and wonder where he is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back