Autopsy Rd 4 Blues annihilated by 86 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read an article having a crack at the blues which pointed out that the team the blues fielded on the weekend had 9 players 26 or over which apparently is the same as GWS - however it didn't point out that it also had 10 players 21 or under in the side - the massive hole between 21 and 26 which is filled with just 3 players is the problem and it takes time to fix.

We have won 8 flags while iv'e been alive and raised my 10yo son to live and breath the Blues like I do. We live in Canberra and travel to Melbourne 5 or 6 times a year to watch them as well as Sydney when we play there and haven't seen many wins live for quite a few years. We go and watch the Giants when they play the 3 home games here each season. On Sunday my son asked me could we please go to the shops and buy a GWS jumper and asked if he could wear it to footy trainings. As a life long Blues supporter these are the harsh things that are happening after being such a basket case for nearly 20 years. Just hoping my boy can last a little longer :)

Pretty easy answer to that question son - NO, and you will like it

Why has Hawthorn been able to rebuild in 12 months?
Strong winning culture?
Well, run club? ( Our Board has been terrible for years)
Great coach?
On-field leadership?

Copped some absolute floggings in the first 6 games last year.
With Ryan Burton, he copped a horror ACL when he was 16-17, the year before he got drafted, and was seen as a huge risk, but his exposed form leading into that point had him as top 5 in that draft.

They still have the bare bones of their premiership sides; they have effectively exchanged Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis for Shiel, Tom Mitchell, and O'Meara; Shiel has spent the majority of his career desperately trying to crack into their midfield, and had he played for anyone else he'd have wanted out, akin to how we got Lang and how Mitchell left Sydney. Mitchell was targeted akin to Lake, Burgoyne and Gunston; they got him committed to them, placing them in the box seat to get his services, and he serves as a two part replacement for Mitchell and Lewis without the thuggery. Jaeger was, prior to his injury at Gold Coast, being spoken of as Gary Ablett Junior's second coming; not as the player he is now, but the player he was back then, when he was the best I've ever seen. He also had played six matches in three years since that injury.

Over the last three years, they've taken significant risks to improve their squad, and it has all to this point paid off. It's why their club is still at the pinnacle of strategic thinking; they all collectively think outside the box, and actively try to innovate instead of playing safe.

Only Hawthorn could have conceived of their forward line improving when they traded the best player in the comp to their direct rival. Only Hawthorn would have contemplated using a year of redevelopment to allow Roughhead to adjust back to AFL footy, giving him the entire back fifty whilst sending Gunston to the backline and Breust to the midfield. They literally spent last year stuffing around with their lineup to see what works and what doesn't, and are reaping the benefits now. They're still a Mitchell injury away from difficulty, but he's notoriously durable these days.

It's also what the Doggies are doing at the moment, and what Richmond did in 2016; spending a year consolidating, perfecting a gameplan, developing ball movement and positional strategies.

That is the lesson I want us to take from Hawthorn; not their gameplan, not their aggressive talent acquisition, but their desire for innovation and their capacity for out of the box thinking.

I'd much rather a side that uses the pieces it has in interesting ways.

I just read an article having a crack at the blues which pointed out that the team the blues fielded on the weekend had 9 players 26 or over which apparently is the same as GWS - however it didn't point out that it also had 10 players 21 or under in the side - the massive hole between 21 and 26 which is filled with just 3 players is the problem and it takes time to fix.
About a hour and a half, at this years draft we need to get in a couple of good strong state league players. O'shea and Mullett are not strong.

First week against Richmond I was excited with our intensity, effort and general play. [DENIAL]

Second week against GC I was disappointed with how we played. [REPRESSED ANGER]

Last week I was angry at our performance at Collingwood. [ANGER]

This week I’m amused/laughing at our performance. [DEPRESSION & DETACHMENT]

I don’t think I’ve ever gone through the whole gamut of emotions in the first 4 weeks of a season
At least you should move on to bargaining and acceptance soon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to be a broken record here, but have some damn patience.

This is the team we put on the park on Saturday night:
Avg age: 24.1 yo
Avg games: 76
Avg games w/o Simmo & Thomas = 59
Players who've played 200+ games = 2
Players who've played 150-200 games = 1
Players who've played 100-150 games = 2
Players who've played 50-100 games = 6
Players who've played < 50 games = 11

A majority of the team had played 45 games or less, or, the equivalent of fewer than 2 full seasons.

Now, seeing as a lot of you are comparing us to Hawthorn, here's the numbers for their team on the weekend:
Avg age: 26.1yo
Avg games: 107
Players who've played 200+ games = 1
Players who've played 150-200 games = 9
Players who've played 100-150 games = 2
Players who've played 50-100 games = 3
Players who've played < 50 games = 7

A majority of their team had played 105 games or more, or the equivalent of 5 full seasons or more.

For mamy years now, Hawthorn has had a great experienced core, around which they've been able to gradually introduce tallented youth.

We're currently trying to build a similarly strong core for future years, however we've otherwise not had one since the early 2000's. It takes time.

Again, have patience. Only game time can fix this. We're on the right path.

I'm sorry but you're being completely delusional. I'm not worried at this stage about what happens with Cripps, Curnow etc contract wise but I can understand why others might be.

You do realise footy and sport in general is completely different to how it was back in Carlton's glory days, right? Loyalty is no longer what it once was. Ridiculous money is being thrown around, moving clubs is more accepted than ever and with all the attention footy players get these days, they are absolutely wary of wasting the good years of their careers in bad sides.

You can have insiders telling us the players are happy, you can closely analyse their interviews and so on. But nobody truly knows what a footy player thinks about his current situation. I heard the exact same sort of thing about Dangerfield for years and he bolted.
it's not only money that matters it's perceived success!

nobody would come to Carlton in the quest for success and only money would lure anybody great
but money paid through the nose.. and to somebody probably getting on a bit and having had feasted in success already

it's not only money that matters it's perceived success!

nobody would come to Carlton in the quest for success and only money would lure anybody great
but money paid through the nose.. and to somebody probably getting on a bit and having had feasted in success already
Yeh, maybe"where's Tom Lynch"?

Yup that is our problem .... more than anything else.

I like Murphy, a lot, I don’t pot him like a lot of people on here. I hate to say this but he was a bad choice for captain. Simply because he does not inspire and that is what you need.

You put Cripps or Doc as Captain and you will see a big change.

Sorry Murph, nothing personal, u were and r a great Blue.

Paul Roos On the Couch - "There are some structural changes they need to make. They need to get back to being a really hard team to score against. That should be their priority over the next month."
Id have to agree with him .
Longer term it may not be in the best interests of the team to play the defensive game .
But given where we are at this must be the case .
The next month with our injuries is going to be extremely tough continuing to play the way we have been .
Otherwise most likely what we all saw on the weekend is just the beginning .
Once we get some players back then recalibrate .

Yup that is our problem .... more than anything else.

I like Murphy, a lot, I don’t pot him like a lot of people on here. I hate to say this but he was a bad choice for captain. Simply because he does not inspire and that is what you need.

You put Cripps or Doc as Captain and you will see a big change.

Sorry Murph, nothing personal, u were and r a great Blue.
Tbh Cripps needs to lift as well, he's been more interested in getting agro at the opposition than putting in any real defensive effort of late.

Doc is the only choice for captaincy for my mind. A solid, solid bloke that racks up the touches. Apart from that knee issue, he has been extremely durable. He is the defensive general down back, he is our Luke Hodge. I never used to think so, I always thought it was Simmo, but as has been seen this is certainly not the case. The defensive organisation has been NOTHING like 2017 with Doc in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back