Review Autopsy thread vs Saints round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Switched off and went to bed at half time (Sydney time), and looks like didn't miss anything.

From what I saw this reminds me of hawthorn game, in that we let the opposition take us out of they way we want to play, and fall into playing their style. Not ideal, but importantly we won both

Last edited:
+ At least we got our crappy game out of the way against an even crappier team (sorry Saints :straining:)
+ JK kicking a bag
+ 10 in a row, sensational!
+ The teams beautiful tribute to Trevor Perriam, very moving.

Lots of negs in the way we played but we got the win so meh...just dissapointing we blew a chance to really boost our percentage which hopefully wont bite us on the arse later
- Essendon EABOD
- Darlings injury
- can we PLEASE just get rid of the gimmicks and run onto the ground and through a banner like a normal club

Running game
Masten isn't the be all and end all to our running game, the players should have picked up the slack, which Nelson did. I thought Nelson was good in covering space, Cripps was a machine. Nelson racked up the kilometres and used the ball well. Better than Jetta on the night.

We were outworked (Gaff the highest km's as per usual the exception).
Saints: 289km
Eagles: 283km

The Saints ran harder especially in attack.

Where we won the game
Our forwards work rate was at odds with everything else through the middle of the ground, they won us that game with deadly accurate set shots, massive contests in the air and a desire to hunt the ball. JK was crashing packs left right and centre, he hurt people in 2 of his ferocious tackles. Lecras went hell for leather in a spoil attempt, he knew when to fly and took a very important contested grab and settling goal. Cripps lead the game for repeat sprint efforts and the team for sprints, he also had 4 tackles in f50.

Also T. Barrass and S. Hurn take a bow.

Disappointing midfield
Redden seemed down on physicality to me, played out of position perhaps but he seemed reluctant in the contest, like much of the team trying to avoid injury, however in saying that I don't recall him having any turnovers so they mustn't have been howlers (stats say 4 though). Contested poorly in the air a few times as well but given his good form recently I'm willing to let this game slide. I was surprised to see he even had it 22 times, it felt like less because I didn't notice him as much whereas he normally pops up tackling, he didn't this game.

I actually think our rucks did quite well, their presence up forward was important with both taking a handful of contested marks, they broke even at ground level but probably got beaten more often than not in the hitouts. Hickey played a good game but he gave away 6 free kicks as well (mostly to Lycett)

Naitanui: 2 contested marks, 17 touches (14 contested), 20 pressure acts, 6 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goals
Lycett: 2 contested marks, 14 touches (12 contested), 13 pressure acts, 3 tackles, 4 clearances, 1 behind
Hickey: 2 contested marks, 18 touches (16 contested), 6 pressure acts, 0 tackles, 8 clearances, 0 goals

I think Sheed was average, listed as having 7 turnovers. He has a great connection with the ruckmen and he's good at holding his ground to block the space in front of him to protect the drop of the ball off hands, then he's able to grab it with his lanky arms and more often than not get a handball out. The issue is his handballs aren't really hitting team mates on the chest or being used to great effect and his kicking has been way down. He does a weird 'one step and bomb' kick when he often has time to straighten up and not kick around the corner, he could gain an extra 20 metres by one stepping and bombing a proper drop punt to the wing. He runs/jogs around like Jack Sparrow on defence and should be harder at his man in close if he isn't going to get the clearance (for all Priddis' faults he at least made people earn it if he was too slow to win it). Kicked an important goal early (not that he hit it correctly) and I think he is a player that plays much better when there's someone like Shuey/Yeo providing that x-factor and damage as he works his way into games.

Yeo was quite well held for a lot of the game but he has the distinction of really making his touches worth something so overall I think it was a par game, which stood out as there wasn't much contribution outside of Gaff, our rucks had to shoulder a lot of the load (as seen by their higher possession tallies).

I think Hutchings was average as well and I didn't rate his tagging game that highly (did hit up JK with a great kick and win a good HTB in the centre) and he makes some very poor decisions. He handballs people into trouble more than I care to count and he missed a very simple 25m pass by foot going inboard near the defensive 50. It kills the drive and puts people under immense pressure. I think his best half of football this year was when he dropped the tag against Shiel in the second half and just played football. I think he's lucky to be playing at the moment but he does always try hard and never backs out of a hard ball get. I imagine he'll be in and out of the team in the second half of the year as the opponent changes.

I thought Jetta was also very weak at the contest barring one awesome tackle near the boundary. He wasn't putting his head down and chasing, looked like he didn't take the Saints seriously at all and thought it would all fall into place. He isn't hitting the ball good off the boot which is annoying as it's his greatest strength. His kicks seemed to be both off target and way too slow in reaching their destination, I'm not sure if he gets dropped but it wouldn't be the worst thing.

- second game I have been to this year and the second time I have been told off by the old farts behind me for being too noisy when cheering on the team. West coast supporters really do live up to the stereotype. Old, boring Chardonnay drinkers.
Can I be honest?

I hate our crowd. You feel weird for cheering or remarking on the game as most everyone around you remains quiet during play and raise a mild cheer and clap for a goal.

I've been to a Fremantle game this year, the buldogs one, and aside from Fyfe Freo were pretty crap but their crowd has a vibrancy we simply do not. Younger on average too.

Eagles games are almost awkward to be at. Very weird collective culture we have.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positives we won

Negative, been saying if we maintain the form that we've had since round one we will win the premiership, I saw the fire in us wasn't as strong as rounds 1-9. Last week I saw a slight lack of effort and last nights game way worse.

Not the end of the world I just hope it's not our decline from here.
Mick said the same thing b saints in 99. After a good start. Kempy Mark of the week

Honest question, do you ever have anything positive to say?
Does it matter if he expresses a negative view? Different perspectives and oppinions make the board good to read. Or should we all be positive and never debate anything. It’s good that some posters have a positive outlook, some are level headed, some provide great analysis of the game, some have contacts inside the club, some are pessimistic and others go over board.

Probably our worst game for the year, along with Carlton game but I guess we won both.

+Thought Kennedy looked a lot better with his intensity and contests
+Hurn is a lifesaver and incredibly consistent, rarely loses a contest or makes a mistake.
+Ah Chee was patchy but showed a bit at times. Probably his best game for us.
+ Thought Barrass had one of his better games especially early.

- We played gutless bruise free footy in 2nd gear just trying to get to the bye and have shown we have no killer instinct in games, always let teams back in and never push the kill hurting our %.
- JD Injury
- Midfield looked to really lack class, missed Shuey tonight given yeo and gaff were a little down.
- Waterman Seems to get clear so often but so rarely gets rewarded.
- Jetta's performance was awful and extra disappointing in indigenous round.

Good just to get the win.
JK is working into form again. The goal kicking was accurate from both teams. Cripps works hard, just his fumbling and disposal lets him down. If this is Lecras last year, it’s good to see him finish on a high note. Fingers crossed for Darling he has been our best player.

The mids were beaten we’re missing Shuey’s class. Sheed hasn’t impressed me this year, bombing the ball and lazy defensively. Hutchings had a Hutchings game, complete with the usual short kick turn overs.

How did Membrey kick 6. Gov and Barrass are taking turns at having bad games. Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan and Cole are the best small defender combination in the league. Jetta’s disposal has been off for a few games, over cooking his kicks.
Enjoy the bye and move onto the Swans.

Can I be honest?

I hate our crowd. You feel weird for cheering or remarking on the game as most everyone around you remains quiet during play and raise a mild cheer and clap for a goal.

I've been to a Fremantle game this year, the buldogs one, and aside from Fyfe Freo were pretty crap but their crowd has a vibrancy we simply do not. Younger on average too.

Eagles games are almost awkward to be at. Very weird collective culture we have.

100% agree with this.

Not only do you get ire for cheering West Coast, you get ire for questioning anything West Coast is doing. It’s more like going to the opera than anything else - much prefer Freos home game atmosphere, it actually seems like people are having fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I be honest?

Even young ones are quiet. It's pathetic

Can I be honest?

You only just realise this ? You only have to read this board to know that. Damn !

Good reality check and a game that will give the coaches much to ponder.
Highlighted a few character weaknesses from several players that took their foot of the pedal.

download-18.jpg

It was the sort of game that we have dropped the last two seasons, so to have been able to hang on and win ugly is an improvement.

You cant always win pretty but last night looked like the players in the second half had already checked into the bye.

Also it did highlight that our bottom two or three players ( skill wise ) are needing to be be replaced by "youngins" coming through, because those bottom three or so just burn the ball too often.

We dodged a bullet last night.
images-20.jpg

Never the less we arrive at the break in a much better position that I ........ and most of us thought we would be. :thumbsu:

Yeah because they're the kids/grandkids of the people you're talking about... It's how they've been raised. **** that.

Maybe some people just like to watch every second of a game and not yahoo-rahoo.
Need to be thankful they are putting bums on seats and making our wonderful club viable.

Even young ones are quiet. It's pathetic

It is a strange experience being in our crowd. Near me last night, several Eagles fans applauded St Kilda’s goals during the last quarter. A couple of girls never looked up from their phones, other than during breaks. This seems to be normal behaviour for their generation. A couple of women turned up with very young kids who went to sleep in the first quarter. (Not a bad idea I suppose). They left at 3/4 time. Everyone got more animated when it looked like we could get overrun. The atmosphere was crap because the opposition were crap. Hand balling your way from one end of the ground to the other is not my idea of football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You only just realise this ? You only have to read this board to know that. Damn !
Nah always felt that but last night watching on TV I was glad I wasn't there.

That and I went to a dockers home game win possibly for the first time this year. Seen them lose a few over the years including the last derby in 2015.

That was a bad last qtr fade out, I was looking forward to seeing saints get smashed :(

They did get smashed, for 3 quarters, before lecras started talking fishing with his forward line mates, midfield decided to stop running & the defense couldn't handle the extra heat.

That was a bad last qtr fade out, I was looking forward to seeing saints get smashed :(
They beat us in the midfield and lost their goal kicking yips .
If membrey can keep his goal kicking of tonight for the rest of the season they might have a few upsets in the second half of the season .
Macartin was also surprisingly good . He just needs to put in that effort every week .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back