Prediction Anti Density, yes or no?

Would the game be better with anti density rules?

• Yay

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 15 37.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Discuss. I like the idea, congestion has been frustrating to watch, but is there a better way to open the game up?

Pros: Could make the game more watchable, lead to higher scores and let the best players excel.

Cons: limits strategies coaches can use, developing teams could suffer worse blowouts, finals could be decided after a free kick from someone accidentally standing in the wrong spot.

I say yes only because I'm finding it hard to watch a whole game the last couple of years

Didn’t like the idea at the start but there’s been too many 3 goals to 2 halftime scores to not do anything about it. 36 players in almost one third of the ground is not football, has to come in.

The other idea is to determine the ladder position based on scores kicked instead of percentage.
Radical but interesting. Sure would change the dynamic to be more attacking wouldn't it.

FWIW, I bloody hate rule changes to the game but something has to give.
The spectacle now is just not what it used to be and is far more scrappy as a result.
Its very hard to watch a game now and that wasn't the case years ago.

I hear Australian rules is the greatest game in the world blah, blah so often.

If that's the case why is it that we constantly need change the rules.

Watch a couple of weeks of bruise free high scoring games and people will complain about that.

I'd like to see umpires with less power to influence the game not more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t mind at least moving from ‘percentage’ to ‘for & against’. Encourages teams to pile on goals & win big instead of keeping teams to low scores & playing less offensively.
Something similar to soccer.

Change the incentive IMO.

No need to then change rules or add to them.

Umps struggle as it is.

Radical but interesting. Sure would change the dynamic to be more attacking wouldn't it.

FWIW, I bloody hate rule changes to the game but something has to give.
The spectacle now is just not what it used to be and is far more scrappy as a result.
Its very hard to watch a game now and that wasn't the case years ago.
You need a much simpler solution.

Another option is to reward 9 point goals.

I hear Australian rules is the greatest game in the world blah, blah so often.

If that's the case why is it that we constantly need change the rules.

Watch a couple of weeks of bruise free high scoring games and people will complain about that.

I'd like to see umpires with less power to influence the game not more.
The only game in the world where you can still win by missing more goals...

Umpires to get stricter on holding the ball. And faster turn around on ball ups/throw ins. No waiting for 2 ruckman to nominate. Keep game moving to limit time for players to get to the contest.
I like the bigger (longer, 18m?) goal square idea too. Get kick ins going to the centre circle to spread the field.

I wouldn’t mind at least moving from ‘percentage’ to ‘for & against’. Encourages teams to pile on goals & win big instead of keeping teams to low scores & playing less offensively.
Isn't that what percentage is?

Isn't that what percentage is?

Nah it’s different.

Example 1
Team A: 100 = 200%
Team B: 50 = 50%

Example 2
Team C: 150 = 187.5%
Team D: 80 = 53.3%

Ladder
1. Team A
2. Team C
3. Etc

Even know Team C won by a larger margin, Team A is ahead of them on the ladder because of greater percentage. If we went to a ‘for & against’ Team C would be ahead of Team A. ‘For & against’ Would encourage bigger scores & bigger margins...hopefully.

Nah it’s different.

Example 1
Team A: 100 = 200%
Team B: 50 = 50%

Example 2
Team C: 150 = 187.5%
Team D: 80 = 53.3%

Ladder
1. Team A
2. Team C
3. Etc

Even know Team C won by a larger margin, Team A is ahead of them on the ladder because of greater percentage. If we went to a ‘for & against’ Team C would be ahead of Team A. ‘For & against’ Would encourage bigger scores & bigger margins...hopefully.
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah not a bad idea. Higher scores should be the aim and AFL should incentivise it. Coaches will adjust accordingly (play a more attacking style) and the game will naturally open up. I don't really agree with rule changes or interchange caps etc, just make it worthwhile to score more. Maybe 4 points for a win and 1 extra point per 100 points scored or something. Anything really.

Yes for me if it helps open up the game and make paddy unstoppable
When the recruiters only want to draft 190 cm running machines…

When the selectors only want to select 190 cm running machines…

When the game is a congested wrestle of one team of 190 cm running machines vs another team of 190 cm running machines…

…then I say it’s time to do something about it.

People of my era grew up loving a sport where people of all shapes and sizes could, subject to desire and ability, have a career in Aussie Rules. It set our game apart. It made it interesting and it made it watchable. Now players all have to fit a certain profile. It reminds me of the silhouette cars they now use in V8 Supercars. Sure it makes for an even competition but it also makes it, IMO, bland. Footballers of the future are becoming the human equivalent of these samemobiles

It annoys the crap out of me when people say Paddy’s not suited to modern football. That statement may be correct but it just tells me how far the game has changed.

I don’t have the answers but I would support any moves that would slow the game down a tad, promote the high mark and the one on one contests.

And in this era of diversity, I would support any moves the AFL might make that would allow for a diversity of body shapes, sizes and speed.

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah not a bad idea. Higher scores should be the aim and AFL should incentivise it. Coaches will adjust accordingly (play a more attacking style) and the game will naturally open up. I don't really agree with rule changes or interchange caps etc, just make it worthwhile to score more. Maybe 4 points for a win and 1 extra point per 100 points scored or something. Anything really.

Any change that doesn’t impact on field umpires decision making is good. That’s why I like the capped interchange (can be monitored by off field umpire) & changes like for & against instead of percentage.

Back