• Saints

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • Kangaroos

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder to all:
  • Visiting other team boards to troll is not tolerated (here or elsewhere)
  • Do not respond to trolls - it just makes our cleanup job harder. Report and ignore please.
  • Do not post identifiable screenshots of profiles or posts here for the sake of mockery
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will reserve judgement until a Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, or Richmond player does similar and gets a reduced sentence. The precedent has been sent...let's see if the equality of the precedent is the same for all.
I'm not holding my breath.
I couldn't agree more. I think the interesting thing in the AFL's rebuttal was in reference to Webster's good character

"a hit from a good character doesn’t land any softer than one from a bad character."

Bingo! Surely this must be extrapolated to also mean that a hit from a "star" player doesn’t land any softer than one from a journeyman.

Or, a hit from a Brownlow favorite, or a player whose team is about to make a deep finals run is any softer than one from a player who's not.

Let's see how that one pans out. I hope it comes back to bite them because for once that's pretty clear. No grey area in that comment at all.

Jimmy is a real favourite of mine. Made a very silly mistake and took his punishment.

Still has a few years to give, don't write him off just yet.

He'll be back for our finals push, mark my words.
One of mine as well Mordy. Has always put his head over the ball and gone back with the flight, to his own detriment at times, without a seconds thought, for our club. As hard as a cats head.

He made a really bad decision and was punished appropriately. Maybe one week too many. He and his family have had a really tough few days and Jimmy will be long remembered for this incident unfortunately. He has to live with that, even after a decade without incident.

I hope he gets the support he needs over the next couple of months and I'm sure he'll come back as hard as ever, with the full support of the St Kilda faithful.

Chin up Jimmy. We all make mistakes.

I couldn't agree more. I think the interesting thing in the AFL's rebuttal was in reference to Webster's good character

"a hit from a good character doesn’t land any softer than one from a bad character."

Bingo! Surely this must be extrapolated to also mean that a hit from a "star" player doesn’t land any softer than one from a journeyman.

Or, a hit from a Brownlow favorite, or a player whose team is about to make a deep finals run is any softer than one from a player who's not.

Let's see how that one pans out. I hope it comes back to bite them because for once that's pretty clear. No grey area in that comment at all.

IMG_2143.jpeg

AFL…the most compromised competition in world sport..full of knee jerk reactions & bias where and when it suits!
The AFL makes money despite itself!

AFL…the most compromised competition in world sport..full of knee jerk reactions & bias where and when it suits!
Amazing that previous MRP & tribunal decisions have no bearing on future decisions.

AFL always leave wriggle room for marquee player from big club concessions to get away with almost anything.

Hodge getting away with being close to breaking a players neck against a point post for example.

The bias is palpable

Gone to s**t under Dimmies really.

Prior to you had a real sort of, club following for love of the game and club and if someone got a punch on or something happened they got a right whack but the game was still forefront and the personalities were still there to enjoy.

Then Demetriou came along...

Hello GCS and GWS to ruin drafting for everyone else, lookit these news toys!
Phwoar, a billion in telecast deals, money money money.
He straight rubbished the Swans, GAGF NSW the AFL doesn't care about you as its ugly footy, just ugly... like Blacktown.
Paid himself a cool 1.1-1.4mil per season for it., FU players and clubs, gimmie my own money for a job well done.
Is the reason the MRO and tribunal are so broken since he rejigged the system.
Over to you Gil...

Dimmies and forgeries set the game back decades.

Gone to s**t under Dimmies really.

Prior to you had a real sort of, club following for love of the game and club and if someone got a punch on or something happened they got a right whack but the game was still forefront and the personalities were still there to enjoy.

Then Demetriou came along...

Hello GCS and GWS to ruin drafting for everyone else, lookit these news toys!
Phwoar, a billion in telecast deals, money money money.
He straight rubbished the Swans, GAGF NSW the AFL doesn't care about you as its ugly footy, just ugly... like Blacktown.
Paid himself a cool 1.1-1.4mil per season for it., FU players and clubs, gimmie my own money for a job well done.
Is the reason the MRO and tribunal are so broken since he rejigged the system.
Over to you Gil...

Dimmies and forgeries set the game back decades.
And which club was dumb enough to attempt a full rebuild at the same time as the 2 plastic teams entered the league?

US that's who

How many weeks do you think a Scott Pendlebury or Patrick Dangerfield type would have received?

images

Zero weeks for Danger

About 3

P. Knobhead....3 votes

How many weeks did Hodge get for almost making Wingard a quadriplegic?

His coach at the time... Clarko

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_175837_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_175837_X.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20240306_175916_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_175916_Chrome.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 57
Then consider Ben long getting rubbed out for the "Potential to cause harm"

Fksake what a joke the AFL judiciary system is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...or the luckiest 3 weeks ever that Hammer got v Murphy, with numpty Saints fans going the "not our fault Murphy has a thin skull" defence

Gawd the whataboutism is off the charts. One of our own made a bad blue and copped his whack. The inability of some Saints fans to accept this or even admit it is breathtaking.

And which club was dumb enough to attempt a full rebuild at the same time as the 2 plastic teams entered the league?

US that's who
I know Pelchans name is mud around St Kilda circles but I thought his strategy of having heaps of tickets in a weakened pool really gave the recruiter a chance of picking up decent players and had merit.
Trout declined is all.

Last edited:
I know Pelchans name is mud around St Kilda circles but I thought his strategy of having heaps of tickets in a weakened pool really gave the recruiter a chance of picking up decent players had merit.
Trout declined is all.
Pelchen definitely had the right idea.
Unfortunately, we had a horrible coach, horrible recruiters and a horrible culture that was bereft of any kind of ability to develop the youth coming through

...or the luckiest 3 weeks ever that Hammer got v Murphy, with numpty Saints fans going the "not our fault Murphy has a thin skull" defence

Gawd the whataboutism is off the charts. One of our own made a bad blue and copped his whack. The inability of some Saints fans to accept this or even admit it is breathtaking.
I think you may find you're misreading the room. It's not about the saints players getting whacked with the suspensions...it when players from other clubs aren't is the issue.

Webster getting u weeks. Good, no worries. If someone like dangerfield etc does the same thing or gets someone high, they would want to get the same whack

I think you may find you're misreading the room. It's not about the saints players getting whacked with the suspensions...it when players from other clubs aren't is the issue.

Webster getting u weeks. Good, no worries. If someone like dangerfield etc does the same thing or gets someone high, they would want to get the same whack
Time will tell, but the Tribunal have said there's no such thing as precedent, There's also a huge chunk of victim mentality when judging other suspensions. No one has ever said that a suspension for injuring a Saints player is too heavy.

Same with Saints fans wanting weeks for Clarko. His choice of words was poor but if RTB gave a few oppo blokes a serve in the same scenario we'd applaud it from the rooftops. Take out the homophobic bit and I cant see anything wrong with it

This is because:

• no two situations are exactly the same
  • interpretations and penalties change over time

Doesn’t mean we can’t compare though, just means we have to keep those two points in mind.
Agree completely. Problem is there's been far too much comparisons of Jimmys hit to others, with neither of your 2 points above kept in mind.

Hammers was legit the retaliatory getting caught, Murphy is a known grub within the league where he niggles to get under the opposition skin ala Baker, just unlike Baker, he's never really cited for his cheap shots which are straight punches to various regions of the body, yet he's the first to go to ground upon the retaliation as "lookit moi, aren't I hurt and isn't this guy a monster" for victimisation. No shade being thrown here, every club has at least one of them that milk it for all its worth and instigate it most of the time to turn around and benefit.

Hammer was stupid to get suckered in and of course cameras were going to pick up the wild arm swing, this from Webster is simple physics and the human condition, nothing more nothing less.

He made the decision to cut the lines and effect a smother, to do this he had to approach Simpkin at that angle to impact him from the front given he was defensive side of Simpkins approach. As you then have two opposing forces in Simpkin running towards goal and Webster running away from goal on an interjection course, you have the inevitable contact zone approaching.

Up to a certain point, be that Simpkin disposing of the ball in a kicking motion, everyone needs to comprehend where Webster is, what his action is at that point and his momentum at that point then consider: does he have time and space to arrest or alter this? Given contact was made the answer is no and contact was made, so harm = foul.

However, I personally dispute this notion of him bumping that is the narrative, it's similar to the Ryder thing in that he merely braced for the inevitable contact, and how do you brace? You tuck appendages inwards to protect your organs, and thus his hands which were open and down to effect a smother by raising as wide and open as possible become clenched, raised and towards his body to then collect the side of Simpkins head in a bump.

By letter of law in 2024, that momentum means that yes, he did bump, as momentum was added that Webster at that point is wholly responsible for what his momentum does to anyone on that field. But did he in fact bump? No, he braced into Simpkins face, so my issue is with the narrative not with the action, that action deserved under law a sizeable whack which is what he got, of interest to me is what narrative will be when an untouchable does it, aka turns a legitimate action (smother) into an illegal action, for example will a dangerous tackle due to momentum be "he had potential to crack ribs and cause lung damage" in the severity of that action?

That is of interest to me under this definition in current MRO and tribunal parlance. How far will they actually go with it, as potential with momentum is a wonderful thing when you enshrine it in law, in a contact sport.

I mean technically any thrown punch, so any spoil, has the potential to kill a person. Let that sink in.

Back