Preview Rnd 17 - Carlton v St Kilda Friday July 13 Darklands 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the boys almost brought to tears on the podcast after saying we owe this skidmark of a club one after the Mrs Murph incident..

I feel him. i feel it. We probably wont win, but gee id love to see Bolts throw a few chairs around pre game and tell em..

"How long boys?!? How long? How long are we going to be laughed at? I dont give a fk about the result, but if our song aint playing at the end, they better know they've been through a war."

One area of coaching structure I would like to see is a more defensive mindset from our forwards in regards to crumbing a contest. When the ball hits the deck, the opposition clear it so easily. A handball out the back and out the side and there's space and the opposition clear too easily. Sometimes in footy if you go in with a defensive mindset you end up getting a lot more of it.

Our forward pressure has been poor. I'd Just like to see our crumbing forwards get around the marking contest wider and with a more even spread so the opposition can't just shoot it out the back and out the side and go. If the opposition defence are setting up wide to receive then we simply need to cover them by being in the vicinity and using pacey players to close in on the man/ball. Not sure if Bolton and Teague are covering this or we are just crowding in close to the marking contest, everyone chasing the ball but I would like to see a fix here.

Think the coaching is fine but there are just so many moments where our players simply 'can't' then after weeks of structuring well we have a few injuries and that all falls apart.

I know we'd like to keep more numbers forward but we have had our best results this season getting plenty of numbers back and strongly defending our defensive 50. If we had our best backline in and fit we could probably be more attacking and sit more numbers forward but that's not the case so I think this needs to be a defensive one. Try and win a lot of contested ball and rebound from D50 quite a bit. Keep it low scoring and play a bit of tempo footy. Lots of switches of play, short attacking kicking going forward and have that good even and wide spread at the feet of our marking targets.

We're just not good enough to leave it up to the defence, have numbers forwards and run and gun through the center but if we clog it up and get numbers back then we are every chance of winning a tight, low scoring game. If it's open and high scoring we're gone, the opposition will kick too many goals.

One of the boys almost brought to tears on the podcast after saying we owe this skidmark of a club one after the Mrs Murph incident..

I feel him. i feel it. We probably wont win, but gee id love to see Bolts throw a few chairs around pre game and tell em..

"How long boys?!? How long? How long are we going to be laughed at? I dont give a fk about the result, but if our song aint playing at the end, they better know they've been through a war."

^^^THIS IS ALL I WANT^^^

I'm sick of being laughed at as a Carlton supporter, surely the players are sick of being laughed at as Carlton players.
They can change that without winning, just by providing effort and cracking in hard. Make them earn it!

IN: Simpson*, Dow, Garlett, McKay, Byrne* (Kerr)
OUT: Rowe, Graham, Silvagni, Phillips, Wright (Polson)

FB: Byrne*, Jones, Simpson*
HB: Thomas, Weitering*, Marchbank*
C: Murphy, Cripps, Curnow
HF: Petrevski-Seton, Curnow, Fisher
FF: Pickett, McKay, Kerr/Polson
FOL: Kreuzer, Dow, Kennedy
INT: O'Brien, Garlett, Lang, Lamb
emg: Rowe, Silvagni, Graham, Kerr/Polson

Kerr vs Polson is a structure thing: 3 talls to try and stretch their defenders or have an extra small for pressure**. Carlisle is listed a test so hopefully he doesn't get up this week so that could determine the Kerr vs Polson decision.

Let's just not play every tall defender we have available and leave Charlie by himself up forward***. Maybe try and defend more in the style of how we faced WCE/Syd/Gee/Col rather than North/Mel/Freo/Bris. That'd be nice.

* Only if genuinely fit. Otherwise, all bets are off...
** "Pressure"...that's a thing, right?...
*** I'm still worried about this or something similar happening. Cue Thursday named back 6 of Rowe, Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, O'Shea & Macreadie...

^^^THIS IS ALL I WANT^^^

I'm sick of being laughed at as a Carlton supporter, surely the players are sick of being laughed at as Carlton players.
They can change that without winning, just by providing effort and cracking in hard. Make them earn it!

I think we have done this enough this year.. 3 out of 4 weeks we put up a fighting effort, all the media start blowing loads over Chalie & Crippa and then we get to a game we should be looking to win like last week we put in a pathetic performance.. On paper we should match up fairly well against this Stkilda side who are missing some key players like Carlisle... 4 points is the only acceptable outcome.

I think we have done this enough this year.. 3 out of 4 weeks we put up a fighting effort, all the media start blowing loads over Chalie & Crippa and then we get to a game we should be looking to win like last week we put in a pathetic performance.. On paper we should match up fairly well against this Stkilda side who are missing some key players like Carlisle... 4 points is the only acceptable outcome.

Missing some key players, their injury list is not massive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One area of coaching structure I would like to see is a more defensive mindset from our forwards in regards to crumbing a contest. When the ball hits the deck, the opposition clear it so easily. A handball out the back and out the side and there's space and the opposition clear too easily. Sometimes in footy if you go in with a defensive mindset you end up getting a lot more of it.

Our forward pressure has been poor. I'd Just like to see our crumbing forwards get around the marking contest wider and with a more even spread so the opposition can't just shoot it out the back and out the side and go. If the opposition defence are setting up wide to receive then we simply need to cover them by being in the vicinity and using pacey players to close in on the man/ball. Not sure if Bolton and Teague are covering this or we are just crowding in close to the marking contest, everyone chasing the ball but I would like to see a fix here.

Think the coaching is fine but there are just so many moments where our players simply 'can't' then after weeks of structuring well we have a few injuries and that all falls apart.

I know we'd like to keep more numbers forward but we have had our best results this season getting plenty of numbers back and strongly defending our defensive 50. If we had our best backline in and fit we could probably be more attacking and sit more numbers forward but that's not the case so I think this needs to be a defensive one. Try and win a lot of contested ball and rebound from D50 quite a bit. Keep it low scoring and play a bit of tempo footy. Lots of switches of play, short attacking kicking going forward and have that good even and wide spread at the feet of our marking targets.

We're just not good enough to leave it up to the defence, have numbers forwards and run and gun through the center but if we clog it up and get numbers back then we are every chance of winning a tight, low scoring game. If it's open and high scoring we're gone, the opposition will kick too many goals.

Agree but other than the last few weeks where we have had a returning to ftness Pickett, who have we played? We have 3 very slow half forwards - JSOS, Wright and Lamb (yes yes I know sometimes they go back) but the forward structure has collectively zero pressure.

Selection or list balance up forward is just killing us and has all year.

Agree but other than the last few weeks where we have had a returning to ftness Pickett, who have we played? We have 3 very slow half forwards - JSOS, Wright and Lamb (yes yes I know sometimes they go back) but the forward structure has collectively zero pressure.

Selection or list balance up forward is just killing us and has all year.

yeah it is, we're weak up forward, haven't really targeted talented forwards to the extent we have in other areas. Garlett, Pickett and Polson can all run and should be able to build pressure.

Just the 4 changes I think...
Marchbank(Inj) - Weitering(Inj) - Phillips(Inj) - Graham(omit)

Dow, Mullett, Simpson, Casboult....

I've resigned to the fact we will never see Harry McKay play again.... ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back