Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

This bullshit about structures... one man's gameplan is another's idiocy. You can succeed or fail based on that. But I find it very odd someone who did weights instead of drinking in UWA would suddenly go 'ahh, footy, hmm, might not do what my coach says' when he suddenly got into the AFL environment.

I don't think he will make it unfortunately but he can live his whole life saying he played for a great old club. Would be cool to say you played a game for Gold Coast who'll end up folding, would be prideful to say you played for a North Melbourne sort club. He won't be the sort but imagine sitting down the pub going 'don't like the campaigner, think he's a campaigner, but I played on Gary Ablett Junior in his 300th, you know?' For a lad from a town outside of Albany he did well.

Imagine just shrugging those shoulders... yeah, I played a game... wry smile... heart *in swells.

This bullshit about structures... one man's gameplan is another's idiocy. You can succeed or fail based on that. But I find it very odd someone who did weights instead of drinking in UWA would suddenly go 'ahh, footy, hmm, might not do what my coach says' when he suddenly got into the AFL environment.

I don't think he will make it unfortunately but he can live his whole life saying he played for a great old club. Would be cool to say you played a game for Gold Coast who'll end up folding, would be prideful to say you played for a North Melbourne sort club. He won't be the sort but imagine sitting down the pub going 'don't like the campaigner, think he's a campaigner, but I played on Gary Ablett Junior in his 300th, you know?' For a lad from a town outside of Albany he did well.

Imagine just shrugging those shoulders... yeah, I played a game... wry smile... heart ****in swells.
Ha, if that was directed at me, don’t worry I really like the kid. Things are just a bit nuts on this board lately. Apparently we’ve got an Ablett, a Martin, a Robbie Gray and a Pendlebury wasting away in the twos because the coaches can’t see in hours of detailed review and close contact with the player what’s obvious to us from a few minutes of YouTube footage. Reality is all the players outside the 22 (and most in it) have flaws.

Our list at a point where we don’t have much older dead wood that’s an easy decision to cut, so some kids who are otherwise worth persevering with will be unlucky. I fear Dec might be in that group, which is a shame as he’s from all accounts a great kid with some excellent attributes and a good attitude.

"Trouble with structures" is more likely "has trouble going against his natural instincts" than deciding not to follow instructions.

Anyway, he’s got a good turn of speed, strength for his size, a good tank, shown some decent touch around goals. If this year’s injuries have stuffed his career it will be a great shame.

Imagine just shrugging those shoulders... yeah, I played a game... wry smile... heart ****in swells.

Dec deserves to be on a list, I did hear from an extremely reliable source that he wasn't great at following instruction, now I'm not sure we have many on our list who are great at that. Unless of course JZ bombing the ball blindly at every opportunity was "instruction". Or generally across our list....not sticking tackles, being a fwd who doesn't kick goals etc.

maybe our "instruction" is wrong? I hope he stays, we've worse on our list that needs to be moved on.

Ha, if that was directed at me, don’t worry I really like the kid. Things are just a bit nuts on this board lately. Apparently we’ve got an Ablett, a Martin, a Robbie Gray and a Pendlebury wasting away in the twos because the coaches can’t see in hours of detailed review and close contact with the player what’s obvious to us from a few minutes of YouTube footage. Reality is all the players outside the 22 (and most in it) have flaws.

Our list at a point where we don’t have much older dead wood that’s an easy decision to cut, so some kids who are otherwise worth persevering with will be unlucky. I fear Dec might be in that group, which is a shame as he’s from all accounts a great kid with some excellent attributes and a good attitude.

"Trouble with structures" is more likely "has trouble going against his natural instincts" than deciding not to follow instructions.

Anyway, he’s got a good turn of speed, strength for his size, a good tank, shown some decent touch around goals. If this year’s injuries have stuffed his career it will be a great shame.
I think he is still in the twos because he is young and coming off an injury.

He has more than enough quality to be on the rotation list along with clark/hrovat/LDU/turner/walker ect.

His biggest attribute I liked from last year was his agility and desire to take on the tackler. Some of his AFL moves last year were exceptional.

Big game from Decs. 20 Disposals, 3 marks, 12 TACKLES, 0.1.

I have been banging on about how good he is going to be since we got him to North. Mark my words, i have a feeling he is going to be a gun. I would play him this week on that tackle count alone

I have a massive man crush on Dec, we need to sign him now!

Last edited:
It’s a bit weird that most fans rate him, but the club doesn’t.

Is that speculation or rumour or fact? I know that idea has been prominent on bigfooty, presumably based on the fact that he was only given a one year contract extension. However the reasons for that have never been stated and, surprisingly enough, big footy is not always right

Is that speculation or rumour or fact? I know that idea has been prominent on bigfooty, presumably based on the fact that he was only given a one year contract extension. However the reasons for that have never been stated and, surprisingly enough, big footy is not always right
Logical speculation due to the contract and the comments from other posters in the know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now, as things stand, there’s not much new going to happen on the selection front, as far as I can see. Waite, Jacobs and Hartung will all come in if/when they’re fit. That means that guys like Mountford, LDU, Pruess and Mckay are, probably, only ever going to get a guernsey if we have further injuries. Of course, that could all change if we go out of contention. At that stage, Brad would mix things up a tad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many reasons are there? I mean, he was the last player signed from the bucket last year, and only gets a single year.

I remember an article where he says he went back home to Perth thinking it might be all done and dusted before he got the 1 year. That tells you our comms with him certainly weren't inspiring any confidence that he would even be a north player this year, and if that is the case, then its a not a long bow to draw to say the club doesn't rate him.

The only other options are more nefarious and hyperbolic, and I wont mention them. But I think these things come up because its really hard to reconcile his on field AFL performances last year with the way we strung out his contract and put him on the single year. If so, hopefully you would think that some more time amongst the boys on the _current list_ would sort that out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back