Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a game between Melbourne and Geelong at the 'G that I went to.

Grgic was playing for Melbourne.

He got the ball in the backline, handpassed it to Jimmy Bartel (an opposition player) straight in front of goal, tried to tackle him and fell over, allowing Bartel to run into the open goal.

We then drafted spud Grgic a couple of years later. Why?
Grgic was playing at geelong when bartel debuted in 2002 so it must have been some other spud :)

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jimmy_Bartel.html

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brent_Grgic.html

To be fair on Jack Anthony, he only became a spud after donning the purple jumper.

just like many before him, Sylvia, Croad, Tarrant, Freo seems to bring out the worst in players, especially goal kickers.

Jack Anthony seemed pretty accurate at goal, though.

Wasn't Todd Banfield one of the Fitzroy players picked up by Brisbane when they merged?.

No. Todd Banfield was a Brisbane Lions player who played 53 games between 2009 and 2013.

If you have the choice of ten players, and he is one of them, then Fitzroy must have had a bad team then. Mind you, they didn't have much on offer.

Scott Bamford was a Top Ten draft pick taken at #4 in 1995 and played all 22 games in Fitzroy's last season. The likes of Martin Pike and Stephen Paxman were not selected by the Brisbane Bears mainly because of age structure of their existing list.

Bamford ended up playing 59 senior games in his career.

Last edited:

Both as a player and as a list manager.

He was named "full-back" of the century when he played half the time at full-forward.
Bullshit. Silvagni played against some of the all time great full forwards and if you ask players like Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett they will say he was a fantastic player. Truly deserved being named Full Back of the century.

No. Todd Banfield was a Brisbane Lions player who played 53 games between 2009 and 2013.

Scott Bamford was a Top Ten draft pick taken at #4 in 1995 and played all 22 games in Fitzroy's last season. The likes of Martin Pike and Stephen Paxman were not selected by the Brisbane Bears mainly because of age structure of their existing list.

Bamford ended up playing 59 senior games in his career.
Am i right to say the only useful player towards the 3peat Brisbane received from Fitzroy in the merger was Chris Johnson? Seems like every other Fitzory player was eventually traded and the likes of Pyke and Lynch were traded or drafted in other off seasons.

Just to show that you don't need to be a great to play a premiership.

Have a look at Adelaide's 1997-98 premiership teams. Full of scrubbers, yet won a flag.

Players like Shane Ellen, Kym Koster and Chad Rintoul.

He will have the 5 goals in a GF to dine out on though till he dies.

Am i right to say the only useful player towards the 3peat Brisbane received from Fitzroy in the merger was Chris Johnson? Seems like every other Fitzory player was eventually traded and the likes of Pyke and Lynch were traded or drafted in other off seasons.

The Brisbane Lions received Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking, Chris Johnson and Jarrod Molloy from Fitzroy in the merger. Molloy spent four seasons with the Lions but he went to Collingwood at the end of the 2000 season so missed out on the premierships.

John Barker only spent one season with Brisbane Lions before he was traded to Hawthorn. The player he was traded for was pretty useful to the Lions in the premiership years - Brad Scott (played in the 2001 and 2002 premierships and missed 2003 with injury). Fair to say that Barker was useful towards the premierships! :D

Brad Boyd was Fitzroy's last captain and he was a really good player, but injuries destroyed his career at the Lions and he retired at the end of 1999.

The Brisbane Lions received Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking, Chris Johnson and Jarrod Molloy from Fitzroy in the merger. Molloy spent four seasons with the Lions but he went to Collingwood at the end of the 2000 season so missed out on the premierships.

John Barker only spent one season with Brisbane Lions before he was traded to Hawthorn. The player he was traded for was pretty useful to the Lions in the premiership years - Brad Scott (played in the 2001 and 2002 premierships and missed 2003 with injury). Fair to say that Barker was useful towards the premierships! :D

Brad Boyd was Fitzroy's last captain and he was a really good player, but injuries destroyed his career at the Lions and he retired at the end of 1999.
I think Molloy was apart of the Mal Michael trade so another best 22 player in the 3peat.

I don't get the reference

Years ago, when Kyle Reimers was first playing for Essendon, he ran around one game wearing flourescent shoes.

Curmudgeon killjoy Walls, who was commentating, criticised Reimers' individuality and said that he should be wearing what every other Essendon players wear.

Reimers then had a go at Walls on Twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’d have plenty of nominations:

- Mitch Honeychurch. Terrible, in his 5th on the list too. Apart from probably being a nice guy, he is absolutely useless. In 25 years, he’s the worst player I’ve seen in the red, white and blue that’s survived half a decade on our list.

- Stephen Tiller. Absolute potato that was surprisingly getting the occasional gig when were good in the late 2000’s.

- Lukas Markovic summed up the depressing McCartney days pretty well. Slowest key position player I’ve ever seen who would forever be tailing off well behind his opposition forward. Tried his guts out but I’m not sure how a Buddy or whoever didn’t break Fred Fanning’s record with he and Mark Austin spudding it up down there regularly.

- James Mulligan was maybe the worst player that I’ve seen overall on our list. Somehow got 2-3 games too.

Plenty more in the 90’s and early 2000’s but I’d be here all night.

Cam o shea
Yep, I've followed football intensely for decades and can honestly say with absolute confidence that O'Shea is the worst player to ever taint a football oval with his presence.
History have provided us with some absolute shockers, many in which are from Carlton but O'Shea is the worst of the lot. (Sorry Cain Ackland, you've been topped here.)
Cam should have never played footy, how he managed to get this far into an AFL career is beyond anyone's comprehension and will go down as one of the biggest anomalies in sport. I feel sick knowing there are extremely talented country footballers who are devoid of any opportunity of playing AFL because this bloke is taking up list space.

Worst. Player. Ever.

Don't even bother contesting it.

(Nice bloke though)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back