Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like the Dangerfield thing it certainly seems that way, but we wont get pick 1 for him so itll have to come down to how good the PP will be. If they get pick 2 then itll be on, if they don't then I suspect weve got some more work to do.

Of course the clubs know better than us as to whether all that is likely to happen. This is the most important trade since the Jarman and McLeod days given the talent on display, we have to get it right.

I'm not 100% on that, though I'd assume pick 1 is the at worse as Cartlon don't have anything bar that which would force us to break Govs contract.

However equally, I would expect us to be giving up Gov + 13/19 at a minimum to get either pick 1/2 just due to the extreme value both picks hold. Gov is just the converstation starter for that.

He's maybe played six good games. Goes missing for long periods. Has questions about his discipline. Is a few inches shy of being a true key forward. Has question marks about how fragile his body is.

We'll get more than he's worth, but we'll need someone to want to invest in his potential.

Assuming Carlton & GC get a PP after the 1st round and GC get Pick 3 for Lynch compo, here’s a suggested trade that could all clubs walk away reasonably happy. I think it’s fair to value a contracted Gov at Pick 6 level. Draft index points below in brackets

Adel gain: 2, 19 & 28 (4142)
Lose: Gov, 8 & 22 (4147)

Carl gain: Gov & 29 (2404)
Lose: 19, 27, 28 & 68 (2387)

GC gain: 8, 22, 27 & 68 (3158)
Lose: 2 & 29 (3170)

Carlton take Walsh with Pick 1, We get Lukosious with pick 2
i think this is probably the best trade scenario some one has made on both carlton and adelaide boards :thumbsu:

If he is saying it’s the program that he doesn’t have confidence in -FFS BOLTON ! And a club that can’t rebuild in a decade ?

Good luck losing by 10 goals in front of 5000 people week in week out !
You’d want a truckload of cash for that alone !
I don’t get it
I'd gladly lose for the next x amount of years in front of 5000 people for the amount of money he'll be getting.

I wonder if Gov was offered the same money or less than he's getting at the Crows, would he be wanting out?

No. Nope. I don't think so.

Champ, we still won TWELVE games with horrific injuries.

You won two and were the absolute laughing stock of professional sport.
Easy big fella, you can’t talk down to Carlton until your team has more than 16 cups. Fact is Carlton is worth more to the AFL than the crows.

Easy big fella, you can’t talk down to Carlton until your team has more than 16 cups. Fact is Carlton is worth more to the AFL than the crows.
You are a delusional soul. Run along.

If it's not pick 1 or 2, then I'm of the view we absolutely should say no.

The message that it sends to contracted players is poor- you can break your contracts with us at a whim. We don't even end up in the position that we need to worry about losing him for nothing- we still have a whole 'nother pre-season where we own him to get a trade.

If he really wants his trade, and they won't pay what we want now, he can perform on the field for it for a year.
It really is that simple.

Not sure where all this talk of him nominating a club comes from. The guy is 1 year into 3 year contract.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are the delusional one if you believe the crows are worth more to the AFL than the bluesss
Enjoy being below average. It's all you know at Carltank.

I'm not 100% on that, though I'd assume pick 1 is the at worse as Cartlon don't have anything bar that which would force us to break Govs contract.

However equally, I would expect us to be giving up Gov + 13/19 at a minimum to get either pick 1/2 just due to the extreme value both picks hold. Gov is just the converstation starter for that.
If Gov and 13 gets us 1, we should be ecstatic.

I still think the change in heart came about when we drafted Fog.

When he signed we hadn't lost Cameron and gained pick 12. Fog was a.pipe dream.

Gov trains with Fog and can see the potential. He knows his natural skillset and how good he can be in a year or two. By then Gov could well be struggling to make our 22 with Tex (hopefully) and Jenkins still there and Fog playing third tall with his natural ability having been developed.

Gov knows his limitations and Fog's upside is far greater.

It is easier for Gov to go to a club where he does not have this competition for a spot. He gets an uplift in salary and then another one in two years time. Rather than stick with us with no guarantee of a big pay day in two years time.

Good luck to him. It is a move from a guy who is a profesional footballer who understands how is the time to move to maximize his earning. Which is great for us as it is a great draft to have such currency.

Many might say it is weak for him not to back himself in to earn that pay day at the AFC in two years time and keep his spot in the team. But they also dont face that reality or decision.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That’s Vaderesque in its imbecility

Gov may well end up a certified gun as a mobile key forward because he causes match up nightmares.

Way too quick for key defenders, way too strong and athletic for medium defenders.

Is a great pressure defender in the forward line and can play back.

I'm gutted to lose him but this is softened by the potential draft pick we should get for him.

He is definitely worth it and I feel indifferent because I know he is our only decent shot at Luko or Rankine.

If we fail to turn Gov into either Luko or Rankine then we have royally screwed up on epic proportions.

It's pretty simple. The afl could legislate that any player who wants ro break a contract the club recieves the remainder of the contract as an increase in salary cap. This would fix the problem immediately and would actually bring contracts into meaning something. Will not happen as the afl is trying to recreate the EPL through free agency and players breaking contract. The only winners currently are the players and hawthorn, richmond, collingwood and most likely essendon in the future.

No, that's a poor idea imo.

There's no reason to interfere in contract from an AFL perspective. If a player wants an out clause, they should negotiate a legal one. If they don't, they're bound by the contract they signed.

Carlton were the first one to tell him he was worth a first round pick during the first Gibbs offer. Then, after we sign him for 550-600k, they tell him he is worth 850k and offer him that amount of cash to break contract. It used to be players wanted to win a flag, now that is a secondary consideration to the money
It was winning a flag when the money wasn't full time professional life changing.

Gov may well end up a certified gun as a mobile key forward because he causes match up nightmares.

Way too quick for key defenders, way too strong and athletic for medium defenders.

Is a great pressure defender in the forward line and can play back.

I'm gutted to lose him but this is softened by the potential draft pick we should get for him.

He is definitely worth it and I feel indifferent because I know he is our only decent shot at Luko or Rankine.

If we fail to turn Gov into either Luko or Rankine then we have royally screwed up on epic proportions.
The club almost sound like they were banking on this to happen in order to jag one of them.

They just dont seem as concerned as they were last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back