Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely the paucity of our 150-200 game bracket is less to do with the talent drain and more to do with who we drafted in the mid 2000s.

2004: Meesen (8), van Berlo (24), Gibson (28), Maric (40) and Knights (56)
2005: Douglas (16), Pfeiffer (17), Vince (32) and Obst (48)
2006: Sellar (14), Tippett (32), Mackay (48), Gill (64) and Campbell (78)
2007: Dangerfield (10), Otten (27), Jacky (30), Cook (38), Armstrong (58), Kite (71), Walker (75).

Of those 21 players, only 6 are still in the league. 4 of them are still at the club. Tippett and Dangerfield left big holes in the list, but Betts and Jacobs come from the same draft era and have both held leadership roles at the club. Roughly half the players we drafted in that era barely made a ripple in the league.
That speaks to the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of our recruiters at that time.

I'm completely fine with that

If those two players are anything remotely live up to their expectations its worth the price of throwing everything at them.

Getting both also should help less pressure on them to live up to the expectations.

I just dont get the logic of Carlton supporters:

1) A 28 year old Gibbs is worth 2 firsts as hes contracted
2) A 24 year old McGovern is worth 15-25 even though hes contracted
3) McGovern holds all the cards

McGovern holds jack s**t. Sitting out of football for 2 years and foregoing $1M is not something he would do. Clubs play seasons with a player down with knees all the time, we arent going to lose a lot by holding him to his contract.

Hey Deaneus, nice work with the picks in play but the only one that matters is the PP the AFL will hand out which will be pick 12 after the Lynch compensation pick is factored in.

Pick 12 and a later swap of picks will end up getting the deal done, as it always does in the end...

Saints won’t deal as they want Hanebury from Syd which will cost them 1 of their 2 high picks...

Looks like an interesting month ahead. All the best!

Without a third party, there is no way that would get it done. After all, we're only letting McGovern go if we can get Lukosius, something Carlton is acutely aware of seeing you guys leaked a month ago how desperate we are for him.

Pick 1 (or a very high priority pick) would need to be on the table, however, on that it would be McGovern + one of our firsts. Not just a straight swap, as really we'd be forced to placate the huge price that pick 1 is.

The ideal situation is you get pick 2 as a PP instead of 12 (what a ******* weird pick for it) where you're able to keep pick 1, and we can go 2 for McGovern + 14 (as a hypothetical) which would work out near perfectly for both clubs.

Last edited:
I just dont get the logic of Carlton supporters:

1) A 28 year old Gibbs is worth 2 firsts as hes contracted
2) A 24 year old McGovern is worth 15-25 even though hes contracted
3) McGovern holds all the cards

McGovern holds jack s**t. Sitting out of football for 2 years and foregoing $1M is not something he would do. Clubs play seasons with a player down with knees all the time, we arent going to lose a lot by holding him to his contract.

4) hes barely worth a late first rounder but we'll pay him 750+k a year.

I don't get it, if the rumour is true and he wants to go to Carlton (Carlton would've headhunted him) they would have had to offer him big money to get him to move there and then would have known they have to make Adelaide happy to release him by over paying, for a guy they really don't desperately need anyway...
Surely Carlton isn't that foolish or clueless (thinking they can get him cheaply after what they pulled with Gibbs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard it reported that the deal is almost done for pick 1 and our first going to Carlton.
Lets hope.

Yep. That feels about right, ours our first, or Melbourne first that is now ours?

be better if its melbournes first... we need 2 high picks, not 1.

It's not the worst situation, especially if someone like Saints/GC are looking for a slash and burn kind of move, we could go 14+20+depth player for 5 (or 3) as a potential starting point.

If anyone thinks we get pick 1 for McGovern and a pick you have another thing coming

Carlton will only take Gov Pick 8 and pick 13

Or Gov pick 8 and 2019 1st rounder

There's a reason why you don't often see number 1 pick traded out

The odds on us getting pick 1 are something like $50/1
There could be mediation, because pick 8 and Gov has the points to get pick 1.

I suspect we will try and deal with the Suns though.

Hey Deaneus, nice work with the picks in play but the only one that matters is the PP the AFL will hand out which will be pick 12 after the Lynch compensation pick is factored in.

Pick 12 and a later swap of picks will end up getting the deal done, as it always does in the end...

Saints won’t deal as they want Hanebury from Syd which will cost them 1 of their 2 high picks...

Looks like an interesting month ahead. All the best!

I think getting your pick 1 is pie in the sky stuff, if you get pick 2 as a PP, something will be worked there IMO.

However if it’s pick 12, we’re going to want our 2018 2nd back (~pick 28) as well. We may throw your 2018 3rd back (~pick 40), plus possibly some later shuffles, but given Gov’s contracted, I think we might hold out on pick 12 and our 2018 2nd, may even ask for more. However I think we’ll want to get the deal done earlyish so we can then attempt to upgrade picks to get in the Luko/Rankine ball park.

Heard it reported that the deal is almost done for pick 1 and our first going to Carlton.
Lets hope.
as nice as it'd be, can't see it happening myself.
that and most journos wouldnt have a effing clue and are just throwing out blind guesses to milk the glory if they happen to hit the mark.

I reckon we will trade both out personally

Depends on the deal we get here, but I wouldn't be surprised if we "sell the farm" pick wise ( with the potential that another player goes) to get two top 5-6 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back