Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff him. He has no right to name anyone.

Do the deal we want or you're sitting in your beachside home for a year.
No. F*ck him. If his desired club doesn't come up with a deal that involves us getting a top 5 pick, he trains hard and plays. For us.

It all depend
Oh I agree, they will fight and scrape as long as possible. The only 2 scenarios we should be considering with them is that we either get a top 5 pick (likely sending a later first rounder with gov), or we keep gov. IDGAF if we don't trade him, they are the ones that have to pony up.
it all depends on how this has all come about...

If Carlton have said to McGovern “we want you and are willing to pay you $x”.. then if they don’t come through with the trade after courting a player with two whole years left on his contract it’s not gonna be a good look.. one of the stipulations gov and his manager would have put in place would be that if he agrees to go through with this that Carlton can’t leave him swinging in the breeze if the cost of getting him of the crows is too high... the AFL and AFLPA would not be very happy if that occurs.

Those that say “what about Gibbs”.. Gibbs approached Adelaide not the other way around and it occurred post season in trade week... Adelaide just tried to help him out by seeing if a deal could be met.. completely different to courting a contracted player in the middle of the season... this type of s**t could destabilise a player, and his teams, entire season..

Now this all assumes that 1) it’s carlton and 2) it’s not actually the crows that have instigated this..

The other thing is that if Carlton are keen they will also have some competition to deal with... other clubs will be asking the question and if the deal starts going pear shaped will be in adelaide and McGovern’s ear very quickly..

Gonna be a very interesting trade period.

Well our kids are signing extensions and your kids are breaking them to come to us?
We expect ours to work hard and perform. Yours are on easy street, no expectations. Why wouldn't they stay? Easy money for nothing, plus other clubs don't want them.

He is definitely worth it and I feel indifferent because I know he is our only decent shot at Luko or Rankine.

That is really the only reason to be happy about this occurring - mind you, arguably our future hinges more on getting a Luko, or/and Rankine then it does keeping Gov to FA.

May hurt the now a tad, but SA is simply not reliable enough of a state to draft from that you can pass up on the opportunity for A+ talent (especially a KP) from there when you have a shot at them.

Charlie also had a lot less inside 50s to work with.

I agree we got overs for Gibbs because he was contracted, but Gibbs also said he was happy to stay if a deal can’t get worked out. That was a extra leverage for us. I don’t think McGovern is happy to stay if a deal can’t get work out.
As soon as Mitch wanted to leave the club his happiness became irrelevant. Responsibility to Footy club is our priority Mitch's happiness is a distant second.
Pick 1 please

Does anyone else find it interesting that this has happened since his brother signed on long term with WCE? Maybe the dream of playing together is now over... Don’t discount the Hawks making a play. Not that they have anything we would want or that would get us to pick 1...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we want to be petty we can end Mcgovern's career we either get a top 5 pick or he sits in the SANFL for 2 years. I don't understand why we always have to be the nice guys and accept unders just so a player can get a big pay rise? If we did that not one player would request a trade in contract ever again.

Hawthorn would do it.... because they're ruthless we're softer than a liquid filled chocolate.

You realise we got overs from the last two players who asked for a trade right?

This is something Ried has so far got a very good record in (paid overs for Gibbs but really I'm comfortable with that seeing our lack of need for prospects right now, especially if we were planning on this year being big). Equally, no Hawthorn wouldn't because they're smart enough to know collateral is worth much more then a player; not only that but your idea would do absolutely nothing to curb the issue except harm us.

Now is the time to sell Gov, especially seeing our goal is to get the high end SA talent and worthwhile piece has to be given up to get into the part of the draft where they're accessible. That is the only way that issue gets solved is by primarily drafting SA players, which is why the NGA if we're not stupid enough to trade away our rights to it is an absolute godsend.

Last edited:
Surely the paucity of our 150-200 game bracket is less to do with the talent drain and more to do with who we drafted in the mid 2000s.

2004: Meesen (8), van Berlo (24), Gibson (28), Maric (40) and Knights (56)
2005: Douglas (16), Pfeiffer (17), Vince (32) and Obst (48)
2006: Sellar (14), Tippett (32), Mackay (48), Gill (64) and Campbell (78)
2007: Dangerfield (10), Otten (27), Jacky (30), Cook (38), Armstrong (58), Kite (71), Walker (75).

Of those 21 players, only 6 are still in the league. 4 of them are still at the club. Tippett and Dangerfield left big holes in the list, but Betts and Jacobs come from the same draft era and have both held leadership roles at the club. Roughly half the players we drafted in that era barely made a ripple in the league.
In 2019, Mackay will have played the most AFC games out of anyone on that list (4 more to overtake van Berlo).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I agree, they will fight and scrape as long as possible. The only 2 scenarios we should be considering with them is that we either get a top 5 pick (likely sending a later first rounder with gov), or we keep gov. IDGAF if we don't trade him, they are the ones that have to pony up.

Yep. If it's going to be Carlton then it's Gov + Melbourne's 1st rounder (~15) for pick 1. That values McGovern at around pick 5-ish, or 2 late first round picks. Maybe we give Carlton their 3rd founder (~40) back on top if necessary. Given he's contracted for 2 more years, that seems more than reasonable - we got 2 mid-first rounders for an uncontracted Lever and McGovern is just as good a player as Lever.

If we can't get that deal, then I'd be perfectly happy to walk away (or storm out of the room, either is fine) and keep him.

Does anyone else find it interesting that this has happened since his brother signed on long term with WCE? Maybe the dream of playing together is now over... Don’t discount the Hawks making a play. Not that they have anything we would want or that would get us to pick 1...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, not really. I'm going to say this is more to do with us looking at every option available to get Lukosius and finding someone that'd fit what Carlton were looking for, and be willing to move to wherever he's going to get paid (especially as he is put into no mans land with that addition).

After all, I'd wager Carlton is more our doing then Mitch.

So you are saying we trade pick 1 for McGovern straight swap? Why wouldnt we just take Lukosius who is a better prospect than McGovern?
Fair point. I would think our first would be thrown in as well. Or the Melbourne 1st rounder we will receive. Hoping they get knocked straight out

Its funny... i had a taste on saturday night on what its actually like to be a Carlton supporter whilst i was actually barracking for carlton to not get flogged by us by too many goals... by halfway through the second quarter i was terrified we were gonna destroy them by 150 or more points and move three spots up the ladder past north, port and the bombers and thus completely screw our draft hand so i was cheering them on to kick some more goals.. it was an unusual feeling going for another team when they were playing the crows!

I actually feel sorry for their supporters now due to this.. It was an eye openner thats for sure..

I mean just how deflating must it be having to support a team for over a decade now that is so unbelievably pitiful that 22 witches hats put up a better fight.. at least with a witches hat standing mcgovern he might trip over it and roll his ankle again.

I only did it for a couple of quarters of football... But that was bad enough... watching and barracking for that for over a decade must be so bitterly soul destroying.. no wonder they are so boisterous come draft and trade week time.. its the only time of the year for last decade and half they’ve had anything that goes close to feeling like a real win..

+1

I saw you were posting alongside me on the main board, which fyi is moderate by a Carlton poster.

I said in all seriousness that they are 5-10 years from actually competing to win a flag. The mod warned me and removed my post, the Carlton posters said they will go past the Crows in two years and that they will be a flag threat within 4 years.

The AFC have not won a flag for over 20+ years. Yes. However, I dont care what anyone says, we have at least hope and opportunity several times over that period to win one.

I stopped watching the Crows about a month ago when we were no longer a chance and that was around July, then by some luck we could have made it and I started to watch the GWS game.

Imagine being a Carlton supporter their season literally ends in R1 no joke when they lose to Richmond each year. I admire their courage or stupidity because Im not sure I could handle supporting an AFL joke like Carlton.

This is a sobering thought for Carlton fans. Brisbane who won all those flags in the 00s will win a flag or contend for one seriously within 5 years.

Its a joke! contracts mean almost nothing to players, yet clubs cant trade a player under contract unless he agrees to.
The balance of power has swung way to far in the players favour!
good luck!

Something needs to change but it will never happen.

You want to know why?

Because invariably its the Non-Vic Clubs that this happens too and those that benefit the most are Vic Clubs or the AFL love childs like Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back