Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been awhile since I posted on here. I've watched every game and lurked around Big Footy. I'm pissed. I love my sports, I'll admit I shed tears after losses, not all, but some. I'm a Chicago sports fan. Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, University of Illinois for college sports. I've experienced the Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks win a championship in my life, while the Bears and Illinois basketball fall short in a championship game. Things take time, I'm fully aware. But the Gold Coast Suns and the overall sport of Australian Football is a different beast. This sport and team weren't forced upon me, I found them and they found me!

I've turned 12 people onto AFL, 7 have become members, 2 have won premierships, none for the Gold Coast and one was my own mother! This s**t is getting personal.... I love my American sports teams but nothing brings the highs as a Gold Coast win and nothing brings the lows as a Gold Coast. Yes Australian Football is my favorite sport but the thing I cling to is, I give money to this club!!!! Like most (all?) I'm not a wealthy guy, I don't have money to blow yet I will give this club money for my membership. There's a difference between American and Australian sport obviously, but that's what I think it boils down to. I'm paying to feel miserable and yet will continue to do so.

Just wanted to explain my absence for those that care.

Good to hear from you again even under trying circumstances.
Love that you're growing our game in an unlikely location.
Chin up, the glory will be even sweeter when it comes!
How exciting will it be when we first make finals, when we play our first home final, when we win a final etc..
Stay in touch!

TJ,
I have followed the Golden State Warriors since 1987.
They stunk for almost all of that time.

The Suns are only 8 years in and have a way to go.
When our star player tries to choke out the coach during practice get back to me.
Until then, we are Golden.

And yes, it all worked out in the end. The Dubs went from lovable losers and a 2nd favourite team to the Super Villains.

At some point it will happen for us. Can't wait for Eddie to start the back room whinging campaign about how good the Suns are and we get too many free kicks and its not fair having to travel to the coast cause its too hot and its too dewy at night and the home ground advantage is too much. Cannot wait.

TJ,
I have followed the Golden State Warriors since 1987.
They stunk for almost all of that time.

The Suns are only 8 years in and have a way to go.
When our star player tries to choke out the coach during practice get back to me.
Until then, we are Golden.

And yes, it all worked out in the end. The Dubs went from lovable losers and a 2nd favourite team to the Super Villains.

At some point it will happen for us. Can't wait for Eddie to start the back room whinging campaign about how good the Suns are and we get too many free kicks and its not fair having to travel to the coast cause its too hot and its too dewy at night and the home ground advantage is too much. Cannot wait.

Lukosious is our Curry
Bowes is our Thompson
Ballard is our Draymond

?

Harris Andrews, Brisbane. Never previously All Australian. 18 games in 2018. 168 kicks, 119 marks, 113 handballs averaging 9.3 kicks, 6.6 marks, 6.3 handballs. One goal, one behind. Four clearances, 13 inside 50m, 52 rebound 50m. 39 tackles.

Steven May, Gold Coast. Never previously All Australian. 17 games in 2018. 224 kicks, 127 marks, 71 handballs averaging 13.2 kicks, 7.5 marks, 5 handballs. 3 goals, 3 behinds. Four clearances, 12 inside 50m, 99 rebound 50m. 29 tackles.

Which one would you prefer in your All Australian squad?

Harris Andrews, Brisbane. Never previously All Australian. 18 games in 2018. 168 kicks, 119 marks, 113 handballs averaging 9.3 kicks, 6.6 marks, 6.3 handballs. One goal, one behind. Four clearances, 13 inside 50m, 52 rebound 50m. 39 tackles.

Steven May, Gold Coast. Never previously All Australian. 17 games in 2018. 224 kicks, 127 marks, 71 handballs averaging 13.2 kicks, 7.5 marks, 5 handballs. 3 goals, 3 behinds. Four clearances, 12 inside 50m, 99 rebound 50m. 29 tackles.

Clearly Harris Andrews
May wouldn't have been in the top 100 players in the league this year

Andrews: 1.4 contested marks/game, 11.4 1%ers (2nd in the league), 6.7 interest possessions per game, 85% disposal efficiency, 20FA
May: 1.2 contested marks/game, 7.1 1%ers, 7.6 intercept possessions per game, 73.6% disposal efficiency, 22FA

Their official AFL ranking stats tell the story
Andrews continued to improve (ranked 64th overall in the AFL)

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.02.31 PM.png

Mays performance was not his best this year (ranked 143rd overall in the AFL)

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.02.09 PM.png

Clearly Harris Andrews
May wouldn't have been in the top 100 players in the league this year

Andrews: 1.4 contested marks/game, 11.4 1%ers (2nd in the league), 6.7 interest possessions per game, 85% disposal efficiency, 20FA
May: 1.2 contested marks/game, 7.1 1%ers, 7.6 intercept possessions per game, 73.6% disposal efficiency, 22FA
So I have May clearly better using stats that Riley Beverage used in his afl.com article, but you've cherry picked a few stats to show Andrews was better. If you are going to use stats to compare, at least add to what I've done instead of pulling a few random ones to prove your point.

May averaged more marks which is clearly better than contested marks alone, while he averaged a lot more possessions despite having fewer handballs. Andrews had better disposal efficiency and 1%ers, but I'd hardly credit giving away 2 more free kicks as a stat worth mentioning. May's rebound 50s are the decisive factor for me and winning the intercept possessions (didn't he break the AFL record against Sydney?) is proof that he's better, even in a down year.

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.22.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.21.58 PM.png

These are the top 5 AFL ratings players from each team.. and take these with a grain of salt as I don't exactly know how they're determined. Clearly Zorko was not the 9th best player in the AFL this year. But does paint a bit of a picture.

Harris Andrews ranked 23rd in the AFL this year
Steven May Ranked 157th in the AFL this year

I take that some of those stats show Steven to be a more involved offensive player. Think Andrews is clearly better defensively. I think you would be in a small minority taking May ahead of Andrews - which is fine, I just don't agree. On the rolling All australian thread on the main board Harris is selected in a number of posters teams. Not seen Steven May once.

View attachment 550463 View attachment 550464

These are the top 5 AFL ratings players from each team.. and take these with a grain of salt as I don't exactly know how they're determined. Clearly Zorko was not the 9th best player in the AFL this year. But does paint a bit of a picture.

Harris Andrews ranked 23rd in the AFL this year
Steven May Ranked 157th in the AFL this year

I take that some of those stats show Steven to be a more involved offensive player. Think Andrews is clearly better defensively. I think you would be in a small minority taking May ahead of Andrews - which is fine, I just don't agree. On the rolling All australian thread on the main board Harris is selected in a number of posters teams. Not seen Steven May once.
Sorry, but these charts are meaningless without metrics. Is it a Fantasy League chart or something? My question was which player would you prefer. Not which player had better numbers on a table of inexplicable ratings.

Sorry, but these charts are meaningless without metrics. Is it a Fantasy League chart or something? My question was which player would you prefer. Not which player had better numbers on a table of inexplicable ratings.

As mentioned they are the official AFL player ratings
Nothing to do with fantasy

Your question was who would you prefer in the AA team this year
My rankings: I'd chose Tarrant, Mcgovern, Phil Davis then Harris Andrews, Hurley, Rance, Blicavs, Tom Stewart then May would probably fit around here in the same company as Carlisle, Haynes, Astbury.

So no chance May makes it - he'd be 10-15th best key defender this year
Harris Andrews had clearly a better year

Harris Andrews.
How many goals were kicked on May vs how many on Andrews. whats the primary job of a KPD? Andrews only reasonable choice.

For anyone that is interested fox footy are showing a documentary Tonight call keep North South.

It's all about the failed push by the afl to move north Melbourne to the Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting tired of players who get dumped using twitter to vent and snipe at the club. Jarrad Grant can't let go. Sniping away regularly and now frothing from the mouth because Barlow got delisted. Grow up Jarrad you peanut.
We've had Brown doing it through the media and other player's families constantly taking swipes if their boys don't get games.

I really like Micky B and think he had another year in him but by God he's slow and he can't be in our best 22
The issue is whether holding onto someone for snother year who has peaked outweighs the benefits of bringing in someone who has potential upside and fits the gameplan Dew is developing
Please God we don't have too many more matches like Geelong- because obviously that's where a guy like Barlow will shine brightly- amazing footy nous and a will to overcome and knows where to be
But when it comes down to developing the team for 2021 well Micky B won't be there, and we have to make room for the guys who will be
I'm sure it wasn't any easy decision.Good bloke, good footballer but maybe born in the wrong era.
Suspect he would have been All-Australian in the 1960's/70's

I really like Micky B and think he had another year in him but by God he's slow and he can't be in our best 22
The issue is whether holding onto someone for snother year who has peaked outweighs the benefits of bringing in someone who has potential upside and fits the gameplan Dew is developing
Please God we don't have too many more matches like Geelong- because obviously that's where a guy like Barlow will shine brightly- amazing footy nous and a will to overcome and knows where to be
But when it comes down to developing the team for 2021 well Micky B won't be there, and we have to make room for the guys who will be
I'm sure it wasn't any easy decision.Good bloke, good footballer but maybe born in the wrong era.
You look very relaxing today .

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 4.26.08 PM.png

Random... but was just looking up some old stats
Can anyone pick whose season this was?
Second year in the AFL - not a bad year for an inside mid.

I totally agree so why the * would you keep Rischitelli and delist Barlow.
Especially with Spencer and Scrimshaw to play Rischitellis position. Oh wait Spencer got the chop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back