News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else find it annoying they just rope in random netballers, basketballers and hockey players. Wonder if they are aloud to look internationally, Ireland and GB Swans players are probably far better than these girls.

Does anyone else find it annoying they just rope in random netballers, basketballers and hockey players. Wonder if they are aloud to look internationally, Ireland and GB Swans players are probably far better than these girls.
There was a program this year that specifically targeted international women called crosscoders, loosely tied in with Bulldogs, but open to all clubs.. They bought a bunch over a couple of months back (Ireland, US, England, Canada, 1 Frenchwoman I think), for a week of training and trials finishing in a game.

They thrashed a team comprised of VFLW players, including some high draft prospects.

A couple got signed pre draft, 1 went in the draft itself (all Irish).

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It fits in with the politics that's driving the whole AFLW agenda.

You have to remember what they're paid. Most athletes wouldn't move to Australia to earn $8,500 a year (rookie wage).

Looking forward to watching the North women play. Tempering my excitement at watching them play live by reading early fixture reports - if we are in a conference with two interstate clubs, on top of committing to play two home games in Tasmania, then (assuming they put North and Geelong in different conferences) we could have as few as three games of the seven-game season played in Melbourne.

Again, why they don't play a full season in the regular footy season is beyond me.

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...l/news-story/efcf03810869be30683bfbd7076b94dd

My addon doesn't work with Mercury articles so can anyone work with this?

ee16269fb0b7c2dc3db226dc07438c6c

Roos assistant coach Trent Bartlett and high-performance co-ordinator Jacqueline Liffiton are getting ready for North Melbourne’s historic first AFLW match next season, which will be played at North Hobart Oval. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL
AFL
Kangas to kick-off at North Hobart Oval
ADAM SMITH, Mercury
October 26, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only

THE state’s spiritual home of AFL will return to the national stage next year when the Tasmanian Kangaroos play their first AFLW match at North Hobart Oval.

The Mercury can reveal the Roos, who will join the expanded competition in 2019, will run on to the field for the first time on Sunday, February 3. Their opponent will be revealed when the full fixture is released this morning.

It will be one of two matches the club — a joint partnership between North Melbourne and Tasmania — will play at the venue as part of the seven-match, nine-week roster.

The North Hobart debut follows calls by the Mercury for the side’s first game to be held at the ground.

North Melbourne’s head of football operations Laura Kane said the Roos lobbied the AFL hard to host its first contest at North Hobart, well aware of the historic significance the ground holds.

Despite all AFL content now played at Blundstone Arena and UTAS Stadium, North Hobart is widely considered Tasmania’s home of football.

“We went quite hard to get our first ever game at North Hobart Oval, we visited the venue and had the AFL down there just recently and worked through with council and AFL Tasmania to make sure we were able to get it all ticked off,” Kane said.

93dc289419e80a329ef1663053758efe

North Melbourne’s head of football operations Laura Kane at North Hobart Oval. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL
“There wasn’t much in the way, it was just bringing together all the different stakeholders for the games to be broadcast, ensure it’s a good venue for spectators to watch football and all the facilities are sufficient for the elite level of AFL.

“The broader picture for us is we knew it is a really important football venue for Tasmanians.

“We understand the history and how important it is as a venue and there is a really good sentiment there.

“Tasmanians love it by all reports, so it’s something we really wanted to celebrate and make sure we could bring our AFLW team in early days down as opposed to later in the season.”

Premier Will Hodgman welcomed the AFL’s decision.

“The Tasmanian Government is delighted at the news,’’ Mr Hodgman said.

“This is the spiritual home of football in southern Tasmania and we are right behind plans to make this venue more female friendly in terms of facilities and change rooms.

“AFLW is one of the fastest-growing sporting codes in the country and for our young Tasmanian women to see top flight games at such an iconic venue will only help grow the game in this state.”

6bc7c7d6baa019f19dce60e7dfbc2543

Nicole Bresnehan can’t wait to hit the track with the Tassie Kangaroos. Picture: LUKE BOWDEN

Tuesday’s draft, in which Burnie twins Chloe and Libby Haines and Clarence star Nicole Bresnehan were picked up by the Roos, brought the number of Tasmanians on the Roos list to eight.

North has also confirmed Windsor Park, home of TSL side Launceston, as the club’s northern training base for the local players.

“That is the most central location based on where all the players live and work but also a really good facility, and it helps us have a presence all over the state for the players who don’t live in one place,” Kane said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One home game in Victoria, and it's at Werribee?

I was really, really excited about NMFC finally getting an AFLW team. I was all set to be a massive fan of the team.

This fixture is a big disappointment though. When we only have three "home" game, for two of them to be in Tassie hurts.

I can't see how the AFLW team is expected to attract new supporters to NMFC with a fixture and arrangement such as this.

Disappointing.

One home game in Victoria, and it's at Werribee?

I was really, really excited about NMFC finally getting an AFLW team. I was all set to be a massive fan of the team.

This fixture is a big disappointment though. When we only have three "home" game, for two of them to be in Tassie hurts.

I can't see how the AFLW team is expected to attract new supporters to NMFC with a fixture and arrangement such as this.

Disappointing.

In tassie they will.

Very underwhelming fixture and ya getting bent of again.

Same same

One home game in Melbourne and it's at ******* Avalon Airport Oval? Wherever the * that is? Theree Melbourne games in the season and only one of them within miles of Arden St? ******* * off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back