Discussion 31 Days, 31 Designs (Suggestions)

Remove this Banner Ad

SilvaComet

All Australian
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey all,

To mark the grand return of SilvaComet, I'm going to be doing a portfolio where I'll be designing something for everyday of December.

But I'm going to need stuff to design, so I'm letting you have a say in what I do. Near the end of November, I'll be selecting the best 31 ideas (in my opinion of course) from this thread.

Cheers.

Last edited:

How about a jumper for the new Tasmanian team in the VFL. What a way to come back with the create of a jumper that can be used by the new Tasmanian Football Club.

Maybe you could do a jumper for each of the twelve days of Christmas. There is partridge in a pear tree, turtle doves, french hens, calling birds, golden rings, Geese Laying, Swimming Swans, Milking Maids, Dancing Ladies, Leaping Lords, Piping Pipers and Drumming Drummers. Have one club per item given.

I've done a thread like this before. You're welcome to take inspiration from the list I made.
314673_93179dfc600db749bac9416296b83a15.png

I've done a thread like this before. You're welcome to take inspiration from the list I made.
314673_93179dfc600db749bac9416296b83a15.png

Something like this would be fun for the whole board to participate in. People can design all of them, just a couple, and have a new thread go up each day for a whole month, with acknowledgement at the end of the month to the person with the most designs, the best designs etc.. I've heard the term 'Design-A-Thon' here before but I'm not sure what that was (although it is an appropriate term for what I'm attempting to describe)

But I should add that I'm not trying to hijack SilvaComet's portfolio idea, I had a look at Spanna_'s calendar and thought of the idea

Something like this would be fun for the whole board to participate in. People can design all of them, just a couple, and have a new thread go up each day for a whole month, with acknowledgement at the end of the month to the person with the most designs, the best designs etc.. I've heard the term 'Design-A-Thon' here before but I'm not sure what that was (although it is an appropriate term for what I'm attempting to describe)

But I should add that I'm not trying to hijack SilvaComet's portfolio idea, I had a look at Spanna_'s calendar and thought of the idea
I reckon the whole thing about it is that it’s a 30 day challenge, so people jumping in and out is pointless, just have people post their 30 designs in an individual portfolio. I’m kinda interested in doing one but I have a portfolio that I am working on at the moment so it’ll depend on how I’m going with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that would be a great and fun little month of designing! I don't want to steal SilvaComet or Spannas thunder but it does seem fun!

so people jumping in and out is pointless, just have people post their 30 designs in an individual portfolio

It's not so much about committing to the thirty days, rather than jumping in and out whilst experimenting with new design skills (rather than designing for nothing really in the 'Jumper Ideas for 2019' thread, there would be a fun element to the designs). And some days design briefs might not be appealing to everyone (I'm not much of a superhero fan, so I probably wouldn't design for that one, but I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan, so I would join in the music day) so it makes sense to allow people to miss a few

I'm with Spanna_ - branch out from just doing footy jumpers. Mix it up with logos, wordmarks, graphics, uniforms from other sports. It'll help you get used to the tools faster and hopefully prevent burnout from doing the same thing for 31 consecutive days.
I'm all for this, give me more to work with than just jumpers (OP updated as well).

It's not so much about committing to the thirty days, rather than jumping in and out whilst experimenting with new design skills (rather than designing for nothing really in the 'Jumper Ideas for 2019' thread, there would be a fun element to the designs). And some days design briefs might not be appealing to everyone (I'm not much of a superhero fan, so I probably wouldn't design for that one, but I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan, so I would join in the music day) so it makes sense to allow people to miss a few
the days where its something that you aren't as interested in is where the real experimentation and learning is though. Also, if everyone had their own portfolio, they could tailor the calendar to what they are interested in designing.

the days where its something that you aren't as interested in is where the real experimentation and learning is though. Also, if everyone had their own portfolio, they could tailor the calendar to what they are interested in designing.

Then we end up with a plethora of half-finished portfolios though which don't look great to lurkers who like to see our finished projects. Not having a dig at anyone, but I've seen so many portfolios going back quite a number of years that have a couple of quality designs kick things off and then nothing else is heard of it. At least with one, big, board-wide month there will be a start and end and it will wrap up fairly quickly

I would do my own portfolio but I do not want to steal Spanna_ and SilvaComet s ideas

Then we end up with a plethora of half-finished portfolios though which don't look great to lurkers who like to see our finished projects. Not having a dig at anyone, but I've seen so many portfolios going back quite a number of years that have a couple of quality designs kick things off and then nothing else is heard of it. At least with one, big, board-wide month there will be a start and end and it will wrap up fairly quickly
I would support a board-wide Design-athon!

I would do my own portfolio but I do not want to steal Spanna_ and SilvaComet s ideas
Mate, go for it. Would love to see your concepts. If you're looking to do something that improves your designing skills and is good fun, it's a great choice. Would strongly encourage you to give it a go.

Why would they end up half finished?

Because (going by the majority of portfolios on the board) people lose interest half way through, they run out of ideas, or simply run out of time. It's not a good look when the board is littered with unfinished and inactive portfolios

Remove this Banner Ad

Back