Food delivery apps

Remove this Banner Ad

The local cuisine in Western Europe really isn't that flash either if you're on a budget and can't afford to eat at the finest restaurants.

France is the pick of Western Europe countries imo where they have some delicious baguettes and other treats from patisseries that aren't too expensive.

Belgium and Holland are similar to France but not as good.

Germany is OK if you like big fatty sausages and sauerkraut, Spain and Portugal are good if you like seafood dishes which I don't so I struggled there too.

In Portugal they even put anchovies or sardines in a Hawaiian pizza I ordered there, I had to throw it in the bin after a couple of bites, wasn't happy.

Greece and Turkey are good if you like kebabs and yiros, luckily I do so I lived on yiros in Greece and kebabs in Turkey, both are cheaper and better than here.

In Sweden their national dish is meatballs which are bog ordinary and they serve hot dogs with mashed potato, which is genius but not exactly fine cuisine.

That's basically a drunk man's guide to Western Europe cuisine though where I mostly ate after a night on the booze, it might have been better if I was sober.
All of those sound and are exceedingly better than Maccas. ;)

I forgot to mention Italy where the food was terrible and overpriced, we do better Italian here.

I ordered a pasta dish in a restaurant in Florence and it was basically just spaghetti with a jar of Dolmio thrown on top, charged top dollar for the privilege.

Their pizzas leave a lot to be desired too, just plain cheese and salami numbers, you try to order extra toppings like a BBQ meatlovers and they get offended.

They claim to be the birthplace of pasta and pizza but they haven't moved on from the 1970s.

I forgot to mention Italy where the food was terrible and overpriced, we do better Italian here.

I ordered a pasta dish in a restaurant in Florence and it was basically just spaghetti with a jar of Dolmio thrown on top, charged top dollar for the privilege.

Their pizzas leave a lot to be desired too, just plain cheese and salami numbers, you try to order extra toppings like a BBQ meatlovers and they get offended.

They claim to be the birthplace of pasta and pizza but they haven't moved on from the 1970s.

better Italian food than in Italy? wtf
Reminds me of this post I saw, where an American said American pizza is better than Italian because of deep dish and new york style.

Italian is just very different to what we’re used to in Australia. It’s been here for a few generations now, and Australian-Italian has taken in its own characteristics.

I ate like a king in Italy, zero complaints.

Unless it’s between midnight and 5am, absolutely unacceptable.

Given it was midday on Collins St, that would be a no.

The place frequently got catering in for meetings / workshops, etc. and that's likely what this was, but still hit me as strange. Plenty of awesome eateries less than a stone's throw to have delivered.

I have used it once at like 2am drunk at home to get McDonalds using a friends app. I don't have the app myself.

My sister on the other hand uses it often, middle of the day with a friend over she will Ubereats some Asian food for some reason.

In almost every circumstance I prefer to go and get the food myself.

Interesting that pizza places have been doing delivery since forever but every other food place will use these apps.

Reminds me of this post I saw, where an American said American pizza is better than Italian because of deep dish and new york style.

I'm sure Italian food is great if you have a Nonna that can cook up her special recipes or you're like Anthony Bourdain and can seek out the best places.

I found Italy terrible as a backpacker, not only is the food ordinary but Italians are very arrogant, far worse than the French who have a worse reputation.

The French take pride in providing great food and are more friendly and down to earth as long as you treat them with respect and speak a few French words.

Goes to Italy and wants bbq meatlovers as extra topping. Smh.
Im not that sure if Dolmios was the sauce poured on top.
The "Italian" food we eat here are just bastardised versions to placate our junk palate.

That leads to another question, just how little can you order for Uber Eats to deliver?

Can you order only small fries from Maccas?

Theres no minimum spend on uber so people can order as little as they want. Most places set it up so that you can't order small items individually. They either pop up as available extras after you order something else, or they are part of a pack etc.

It's a massive whack, but they cover it by passing on the cost to the consumer; ordering anything through Uber is always more expensive than getting it in the restaurant.

Yeah don't know about that. Maybe its changed in the last 6 months but when we signed up to uber the prices on the uber system had to be identical to your normal menu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah don't know about that. Maybe its changed in the last 6 months but when we signed up to uber the prices on the uber system had to be identical to your normal menu.
I can think of a Greek place near me that charges $21 on Uber for a bits and sort of meal with meat, a salad and a dip. If you go to that same restaurant in person, it costs $17 I believe.

You're doing Italian food wrong then. Hit the countryside villages, everything will be delicious, huge serves and cheap as hell. Its very hard to eat bad in Italy.

I'm sure Italian food is great if you have a Nonna that can cook up her special recipes or you're like Anthony Bourdain and can seek out the best places.

I found Italy terrible as a backpacker, not only is the food ordinary but Italians are very arrogant, far worse than the French who have a worse reputation.

The French take pride in providing great food and are more friendly and down to earth as long as you treat them with respect and speak a few French words.

Could not agree more, with all of that.

Maybe you just went to a shitty local restaurant in Italy? Just cause it's an Italian restaurant in Italy doesn't mean it's good

What's your issue?

Yiros is another Anglicization of gyros. It's not a souvlaki.

Probably in Adelaide. In no halfway intelligent place on earth is there something so stupid as “yiros”. It’s gyros.

It’s like saying there’s a Italian dish called “larzarnya”. Who comes up with this s**t?

What's the point?

If you want familiar, it's simple..stay at home and don't waste your money. Or go to a local holiday resort.

If I travel I'm travelling to experience new things, **** familiarity! No use spending money if you have no interest in experiencing a different culture.

Nice overreaction.

I travel a fair bit and have no interest in spending my money on that countries food, prefer to spend that money in other areas to explore and experience the culture.

Probably sucks for the shop owner/driver but Christ it is a revolutionary change for the customer.

Take away food is laughably overpriced in Australia anyway.

And with the way this is trending, prices are only going to go up even more with businesses trying to protect some of their lost margin.

Lol - if you wanted to prove to the world you are someone who has NFI about food you couldn't come up with a better line :thumbsu:

Anyone with first-hand experience as to how much the drivers get paid?

Going off Reddit it looks like it's approximately a $15 retainer per hour + $2.50 per delivery across the big 4 or so chains.

Just wondering how much (if at all) I should be tipping.

If you order at 5:00 PM should that be enough of a benefit for them as they usually don't have many jobs to do at that hour anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back