Why do you go to the gym?

Remove this Banner Ad

I go to tone my body. I'm inexperienced I want to build my booty I follow my booty bands routine at the gym more comfortably.

I'm probably going to get laughed off this board, but hey, whatevs.

I started going to the gym a little over a month ago. What happened was this: I'm a big fan on former WWE wrestler Stu Bennett aka Wade Barrett (the profile pic says it all really lol). So when I found out he was going to be one of the hosts of Ultimate Beastmaster on Netflix I had to watch it. When I watched it and saw the other Australians doing pretty well, I got a bit pumped up and went on Twitter saying I was going to sign up for a gym membership the next day and get myself into shape.

Now, I had every intention of deleting that Tweet the next morning, because hell NO am I going to the gym. Unfortunately, Stu liked the Tweet before I could get rid of the evidence. Well, I'm a woman of my word, so I begrudgingly got a gym membership.

Since then however, I've rediscovered my love of being active. I think today is something like day 28 or 29 in a row that I've been to the gym, just because I like getting out to the gym and challenging myself. Best thing is that I've lost 4kgs already. It's slow work, but I'm really enjoying myself. I've also almost managed to cure myself of boredom eating (there are still times I crave food purely because I'm used to eating while watching TV or whatever) and I've drastically cut down on the junk food I was eating (now it's mainly salad and meat).

I'm probably going to get laughed off this board, but hey, whatevs.

I started going to the gym a little over a month ago. What happened was this: I'm a big fan on former WWE wrestler Stu Bennett aka Wade Barrett (the profile pic says it all really lol). So when I found out he was going to be one of the hosts of Ultimate Beastmaster on Netflix I had to watch it. When I watched it and saw the other Australians doing pretty well, I got a bit pumped up and went on Twitter saying I was going to sign up for a gym membership the next day and get myself into shape.

Now, I had every intention of deleting that Tweet the next morning, because hell NO am I going to the gym. Unfortunately, Stu liked the Tweet before I could get rid of the evidence. Well, I'm a woman of my word, so I begrudgingly got a gym membership.

Since then however, I've rediscovered my love of being active. I think today is something like day 28 or 29 in a row that I've been to the gym, just because I like getting out to the gym and challenging myself. Best thing is that I've lost 4kgs already. It's slow work, but I'm really enjoying myself. I've also almost managed to cure myself of boredom eating (there are still times I crave food purely because I'm used to eating while watching TV or whatever) and I've drastically cut down on the junk food I was eating (now it's mainly salad and meat).
Tremendous story that.

How I got interested in working out was we were playing that six degrees of separation game. Well I was struggling and could only come up with Doug Hawkins and Vince Colosimo.

Best mate said nonsense how about Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Back in the olden days I used to do karate as a kid at a place called Komps in West Footscray, a torpedo punt down the road from the doggies kennel. I took my best mate along, as we were both terrified of those scrubbers from Braybrook trying to beat us up.

Place was run by a bloke called Matthew Komp. He was German and came out for the Melbourne Olympics, and stayed here permanently, opening a martial arts and leisure centre.

This place had the worlds smallest and shittiest gym. It resembled Lou Ferrigno's gym in Pumping iron. Not only was it small, it was narrow. It featured a turntable treadmill, where you stood on it and held on to a rail while you walked with the disk spinning under you. And it also had one of those "Lets get physical" Jiggle machines that shook fat clean off your waist.

Anyway, back in the 70's Arnies best mate was an aussie. So he brought the Austrian Oak out to Melbourne. There was * all gyms back then, save for a little gym in West Fookscray owned by a German. So off they went to Komps to work out.

Best mate read an article about our old instructor, and the Arnold visits were mentioned. Missed meeting him by thaaaaat much (10 years). Never mind.

Well you could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that. The worlds best ever bodybuilder trained in our little place. Mr Komp used to tell tall tales about blokes judo rolling off his roof, or bavarian stuntmen punching holes in his wall, so he may or may not have given the Arnold story a run. We just thought he liked to wind us little kids up.

About 5 years ago I was overweight and decided to go to the gym to lose some weight. The gym I went to had just opened a Crossfit box at the back of the gym. The person at the desk asked me if I would like to try Crossfit. Without knowing anything about what Crossfit was I said yes. Five years later and I haven't looked back, though I have changed boxes. I admire people who have the motivation to work out on their own every day, but for me the sense of community I get from Crossfit is awesome.

Crossfit has its critics and I agree with some of the criticism. But it's up to the individual to take some responsibility. You see some people come into the box who don't want to damage their ego and try to keep up with people who have been doing Crossfit for years, despite the protestations of the coach. That's when any injuries occur. If you scale appropriately it is no more dangerous than any other exercise program.

For me now it's probably more habit than anything lol

18 months later - still habit.
If I didn’t have a home gym and my membership at X gym had run out in the past 18 months I’m not sure I wouldn’t have replaced the gym with something else (playing footy and skating a lot so would still be pretty active, though lifting weights is better for your overall health).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For general health and fitness.

The "light bulb" moment came when I was about 20, swimming laps at Windy Hill and could barely complete a lap without stopping.

I joined a gym the next week.

their peptides weren't available then?

I'm only in it for the decibels.

patrick-bateman-music.gif

Maintenance. Happy with my weight and body shape.

Same, pretty much.

Would possibly like to take a bit more off my stomach area but meh whatevs. If I did, the weight would just go off "all over" ie. my **** and i dont want to lose weight from there.

Same, pretty much.

Would possibly like to take a bit more off my stomach area but meh whatevs. If I did, the weight would just go off "all over" ie. my **** and i dont want to lose weight from there.

that's right. some think we can lose weight in a particular spot. lol wish we could!

Ive resigned to the fact that my spare training wheel is here to stay and you cant beat aging.

that's right. some think we can lose weight in a particular spot. lol wish we could!

Ive resigned to the fact that my spare training wheel is here to stay and you cant beat aging.

Yup.

And also the fact i will never have "skinny" legs- cause of my bone structure. I have big knees, aint nothing ever gonna change that.
/i still have ok legs tho- i particularly like my calves, they're pretty skinny- its my thighs that are chunkier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back